Web App For Calculating And Tracking Your Gas Mileage

HardOCP News

[H] News
Would you guys actually use a web app to track your gas mileage? Seems like a lot of worrying over a few bucks. Heck, on a good day I get 5 mpg, I'm better off calculating distance to the next gas station instead of miles per gallon. :D

Fuelly is a handy little web application that's easy to use from your smartphone, or your computer. It tracks your gas purchases and mileage over time and calculates miles per gallon overall and per tank.

shrug, I just use the calculator cause I can do basic math.

Sad really that an app had to be created just to divide 2 freaking numbers. Hell, 1/2 the time I do it in my head.

(personal best, 39mpg in a 2004 Ford Focus, I love driving like a miser an pissing people off!)

My '05 Maxima's console screen tells me what my average mileage is - a crappy 18 MPG :-P

I average about 20mpg around the city and about 30mpg in a 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero (3450lb mid size sedan, tuned to 300hp)

When I milk it, I can get it up to the mid to high 30's

I recently drove from Hartford CT to Boston MA (~100 miles) and averaged 38mpg :p

I don't need an app for this.

My F150 tells me my average, instant, and shows a history after I reset it. I used to check it on a calculator periodically, but I found that the monitor on the truck is just as accurate so I quit manually checking it.

I get crap MPG with my 2000 Saturn. The 3.0 V6 sucks gas fast, but surprisingly quick. No matter what, I don't drive slow enough for me to care. I like hitting the gas pedal.

I do care enough about my MPG to maintain the car. You know, use Seafoam once in a while, change the oil, and making sure everything is working 100%. To me, there's no point in buying a new car. The cost of the car won't make it up with gas.

#1 Just cause it says 31 or 50 MPG, doesn't mean it'll actually get that much.
#2 If you wanna get anywhere near the rated MPG, you'll have to drive slow. I don't have the patience as it is.
#3 If you do have a heavy foot, a slow eco car would actually burn more gas.
#4 Newer cars tend to weigh more then cars made in the 90's and 2000's. Weight is the #1 killer in MPG.

Having an app that calculates your MPG is just a reminder that your car doesn't get anywhere near the MPG it was said to do. You'll be even more surprised, if your car aged somewhat. Where things like carbon build up, alignment being off, and all that crap you keep in the trunk of your car takes a heavy toll on your MPG.

#2 If you wanna get anywhere near the rated MPG, you'll have to drive slow. I don't have the patience as it is.

True, but I always have to laugh at the people who take off fast as soon as the light turns green, because I usually coast up right alongside them at the next red light anyway, having used a lot less gas.

I enjoy power - that's why I've tuned my car to about 300hp - but I use it judiciously. No need to waste gas if its not going to help me :p

I just use the trip meter in my dash, and the calculator in my phone, pretty simple, although I'm sure there are apps out there that are even more unnecessary. I don't have a smart phone so idk.

It seems most newer cars already have this built in anyway. My 2004 VW Passat 1.8T 5-spd averages around 30mpg in mixed driving, and I don't drive like an old man. The instant and average mileage in the dash display are always pretty close to that. My previous 2000 Silverado Z71 got about 15mpg downhill with a strong tailwind.

I personally like the person who passes me at 10 over the speedlimit (when I'm going 5-10 under), and then I pull up behind them at the traffic light after we've both gotten off at the same exit. . .

Wouldn't it be easier to ask Apple or Google about your gas mileage since they already track you like you're a serial killer terrorist child molesting kidnapper.

don't most modern cars have 'trip OD's' ? So this app does the division for stupid people?

Eh...I can do the math in my head. My 01 Mustang gets mid 20's on the highway. I don't know what I get in the city since Phoenix has 5 billion freeways.

any modern car has a Multi function display that will tell them their MPG or L/100KM.

my 2011 golf gti gives me at worst 10L/100km on the high way when very very heavily abused.

I already know what a turbo 4.3 in an S series truck gets, but that's a cute site.

I personally like the person who passes me at 10 over the speedlimit (when I'm going 5-10 under), and then I pull up behind them at the traffic light after we've both gotten off at the same exit. . .

^^ This. Last week some dude in a Shelby GT500 flew by me in a 45 zone like I was standing still. Next 3 or 5 lights, he got caught by the red lights, I just casually pulled up behind him laughing each light.

#1 Just cause it says 31 or 50 MPG, doesn't mean it'll actually get that much.
#3 If you do have a heavy foot, a slow eco car would actually burn more gas.
#4 Newer cars tend to weigh more then cars made in the 90's and 2000's. Weight is the #1 killer in MPG.

You don't necessarily need to drive slow. Remember that you get better mileage on the highway than in the city. You need to drive steady, and I suppose accelerate at a decent amount.

New cars are getting lighter, not heavier. They are always looking at getting lighter materials for the body.

don't most modern cars have 'trip OD's' ? So this app does the division for stupid people?

This

I check my gas millage every week, I do the math in my head, it isn't that hard.

Thanks to that, i can drive my car to the very mile before it runs out of gas.

I use the odometer and a full tank to measure mpgs :p usually 10-13mpgs :eek:

would be nice to have an app for acceleration and 1/4mile times etc

I use the odometer and a full tank to measure mpgs :p usually 10-13mpgs :eek:

would be nice to have an app for acceleration and 1/4mile times etc
Judging by your name you have a Fox body....I remember those days. My 01 Cobra is pretty good at sipping the gas when I behave.

There's an acceleration app for the iPhone that is pretty good at the strip. I still have it on my phone and it's close enough to the timing lights but is better than my Gtech

New cars are definately heavier. In the last 2-3 years, very few cars have gotten lighter- probably 5 models total. Also most models are getting bigger. So bigger and heavier is the norm- even now. Hopefully that changes in the future.

i been using this for a while now as well.
logged 288 fillups already.

i exported over my logs from excel, I still use both though.

Zarathustra[H];1037172158 said:
True, but I always have to laugh at the people who take off fast as soon as the light turns green, because I usually coast up right alongside them at the next red light anyway, having used a lot less gas.

True, but I see the extra money I spend as an entertainment expense.

Nowhere is this more apparent than my hour-drive to school. It's mostly winding country roads with one large stretch only having two three lights. Still, even if I make an effort to pass those people who prefer to drive under the speed limit, if I catch one of those lights at red more often than not all of the people I passed will catch up to me before it turns green. However, like above, I rationalize my driving by realizing that the alternative is being stuck behind someone for the entire trip doing 50 in a 55. No thanks. I'd rather spend some extra gas and enjoy the open road before me.

When I first got my Prius in 2004, I kept a spreadsheet tracking mileage DAILY. (Using the odometer and the mileage meter; syncing up every fill-up, doing that, I discovered that the mileage meter underestimated by about 2%.) I kept that through the bumper-to-bumper warranty period of 36000 miles (about two years - I spent two weeks in the hospital soon after running past 36k miles, my wife didn't track it during that time, so I didn't bother picking it back up.)

It made for some great data analysis. You could see seasonal changes, you could even track lifetime better mileage when I was driving as opposed to my wife. (Then there was the cross-country trip with my lead-foot-stepfather driving over the Rockies, totally killing my 'lifetime mileage' early on.)

At the time the spreadsheet ended, I had been averaging 45 MPG. Which, when they redid the mileage calculations in 2008, was right on the money. Since then, my average (based solely my memory of what the computer says when I fill up, I don't even bother keeping logs now,) seems to be about 40 MPG. I also have better-traction-but-worse-mileage tires now, though.

True, but I see the extra money I spend as an entertainment expense.

Nowhere is this more apparent than my hour-drive to school. It's mostly winding country roads with one large stretch only having two three lights. Still, even if I make an effort to pass those people who prefer to drive under the speed limit, if I catch one of those lights at red more often than not all of the people I passed will catch up to me before it turns green. However, like above, I rationalize my driving by realizing that the alternative is being stuck behind someone for the entire trip doing 50 in a 55. No thanks. I'd rather spend some extra gas and enjoy the open road before me.

/shrug, to each their own. I did the math, and by driving at 65 instead of 75 (what I used to drive at), and with gas at $4.18/gal, I'm making $14/hr to drive a 65. While that's not great money, that's pretty damn good.

IMO, I have the onboard trip computer on my Mustang V6, which is actually pretty accurate!

On a side-note for Steve, and yes I know it's off topic but I know he will like that tidbit, my 2012 Mustang V6 gets better gas mileage with 60/40 city/highway than my mom's alero I was driving before got with 40/60 city/highway.

low 11L/100km for the Stang and high 11s low 12s for the Alero

For comparisons sake:

Alero
HP 170
Tq 200

Mustang
HP 305
Tq 280

Aww yeahhhh

yeah... no

all base models

1964 mustang ~2400lbs
1979 mustang ~2800lbs
2010 mustang ~3400lbs

BTW the '10 Shelby GT500 tips the scales at 3900lbs :eek:

You used Mustangs as an example in a fuel economy thread? Seriously?

I found this web app about a year and a half ago and used it for half a year before I got tired of taking out my phone every time I filled up to enter stats. It was fun while it lasted.

All I did was make a spread sheet. Tells me my mileage for the fill-up and the average. It also keeps track of how much I've spent and I can put in maintenance notes as well.

Trust me when i say this, guys, but Steve REALLY needs this app. :D

P.S. I can cruise at 65-70mph and return 32-34 MPG in my Corvette.

"Seems like a lot of worrying over a few bucks."
tracking your mileage can mean the difference between changing spark plugs or replacing your engine. Here are four good reasons to track mileage:
1. Is an indicator of overall vehicle performance
2. Is a true test of vehicle mods and impact on vehicle
3. Keep tabs on driving habits
4. Baseline to use against advertised MPG

The first reason is the best reason for tracking mileage, especially on higher mileage vehicles. While few bucks bucks per fillup or month are not going to impact our wallets greatly, they can add up over time. MPG tracking can save you alot more money and headache over the long haul. Less trips to the mechanics, tire shops and car rental. Less time on phone with tow companies, warranty and insurance agents. And maybe less time at the pump.
Personally, I have adjusted my driving habits some, due to tracking. I am normally a foot in gas, foot in brake kinda guy. But I love it when my civic drives like a raped ape and can still pull close to 40 MPG at the pump.

Back