weapons in doom3 , do you like them?

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
I think they suck. Pretty much all of them so far (up to rocket launcher) except for the chainsaw.

heres my problems

flashlight - lights up goddamn next to nothing, effective against zombies but anything that actually moves fast its useless, plus you cant have it at the same time as weapons so efficivly useless in combat

pistol - semi auto my ass. youd think guns in the future would be able to shoot faster than semi autos now, but i guess in a time when flashlights cant attach to guns... :rolleyes: plus it takes nearly a clip to down anything.

shotgun - HUGE, HUGE spread, much too much to be of any use unless someone is RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU, literally.

machine gun - a rapid fire pea shooter, again stops nothing unless its standing still, from a distance, and you can get 20 rounds into it.

chain gun - i actually like this weapon but so far I think ive found a total of 200 bullets the entire game. fun as hell in multiplayer though, i was owning everyone with it :) reminds me of the UT2k4 gun

grenades - i keep finding tons of these yet i never really use them. not very useful in tight corrodores with monsters charging me

plasma gun - i can spit faster than the plasma balls move. theyre SLOW and not nearly as effective as in doom1 + 2

rocket launcher - ok i like this one too. i love shooting the ground underneith enemies as it launches them :D

chainsaw - ok yes...i like this one as well.

i'm going to write a mod to fix the things i find as problems in this. gotta get the SDK and all.

I find them all usefull if you use them wisely, I use the MG for distant enemies and SG for up close. Always aim for the head and you will save on ammo. HG is great for distant zombies or imps.

The subgun and chaingun have pretty shitty sounds and animation. Maybe I've been playing too many other FPS. The recoil animation on the subgun seems too soft like the UT2K4 assult rifle and it also isn't in sync with the rate of fire. The sound for it is too muted and soft as well. The chainguns rate of fire is pretty lame for a chaingun. It also doesn't sound that cool.

Would be aweseom w/o reloading like clasic doom, I was dissapointed when I got my hands on the chainguna nd it wanted to be reloaded:( No more chain gun cha cha:(

The chainsaw, omg, I about busted a nut when I got my hands on that.

I would like to see the classic double barrel shotty come back, though, and gun mounted lighting, and a map. I miss the old tab function.

sc0tty8 said:
Would be aweseom w/o reloading like clasic doom, I was dissapointed when I got my hands on the chainguna nd it wanted to be reloaded:( No more chain gun cha cha:(

The chainsaw, omg, I about busted a nut when I got my hands on that.

I would like to see the classic double barrel shotty come back, though, and gun mounted lighting, and a map. I miss the old tab function.

yeh, not having a map is annoying at best. whats the PDA for then? oh wait...EMAIL AND VIDEO DISKS :rolleyes:

kronchev said:
yeh, not having a map is annoying at best. whats the PDA for then? oh wait...EMAIL AND VIDEO DISKS :rolleyes:

I try to avoid that damn thing. I hate it, I have not watched a single video disk, I read thru the emails looking fort security codes, about it...

The machine gun needs a nade launcher on it. I was disapointed that the weapons do not have an alternative fire mode, like, hl, shoots 2 shells at once on the shotty, a fully auto secondary fire would rock.

On the chain gun, make it spool quicker, the nades, turn em into sentry mines, The chainsaw, make it slash side to side.

I miss the old box in the hud that had his face in it, so, when you went nuts with a weapon, you could see his shitty grin, that, was awesome. Man, I think I am going to grab my 486 outa the basement and fire up some classic d1, ultra violence, and trubo mode+++

sc0tty8 said:
I try to avoid that damn thing. I hate it, I have not watched a single video disk, I read thru the emails looking fort security codes, about it...

The machine gun needs a nade launcher on it. I was disapointed that the weapons do not have an alternative fire mode, like, hl, shoots 2 shells at once on the shotty, a fully auto secondary fire would rock.

On the chain gun, make it spool quicker, the nades, turn em into sentry mines, The chainsaw, make it slash side to side.

I miss the old box in the hud that had his face in it, so, when you went nuts with a weapon, you could see his shitty grin, that, was awesome. Man, I think I am going to grab my 486 outa the basement and fire up some classic d1, ultra violence, and trubo mode+++

download jdoom or zdoom and use those for your dooming needs. awesome, awesome ports. zdoom is 3d walls, jdoom adds lighting and 3d models if you download em

as for the PDA, watch the disc on power production. its really funny actually. none of the video disks serve any purpose but as amusement.

The DareDevil said:
Berserk mode kicks ass.

that is true. when i got it i went "HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHA" and started beating everything and yelling at the screen. thank god no one else was home at that point :D

kronchev said:
that is true. when i got it i went "HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHA" and started beating everything and yelling at the screen. thank god no one else was home at that point :D
I like the way Doom III introduces new weapons.

Lure you into a room, lock you in that room, give you a bad-ass weapon and unleash hell.

Unlock room.

muhahaha

yeah, I have to say that the guns so far have NOT been up to my expectations... the shot gun is pointless if any one is any distance away....

the MG is good though, if you can aim for the head... hand gun is the same.... that's when things HAVE a head... :p

that's all I've really seen so far... haven't had the balls to punch anything yet... the one time I beat something with the flash light, one of those 2 (or is it three?) headed suckers, it went down real easy...

the weapons are certainly not the games strong point, but they are fun to use.

besides, you KNOW they didn't mount the flash light on the pistol or shot gun for a reason... adds to the suspense :p

Munka said:
yeah, I have to say that the guns so far have NOT been up to my expectations... the shot gun is pointless if any one is any distance away....

the MG is good though, if you can aim for the head... hand gun is the same.... that's when things HAVE a head... :p

that's all I've really seen so far... haven't had the balls to punch anything yet... the one time I beat something with the flash light, one of those 2 (or is it three?) headed suckers, it went down real easy...

the weapons are certainly not the games strong point, but they are fun to use.

besides, you KNOW they didn't mount the flash light on the pistol or shot gun for a reason... adds to the suspense :p
Just wait 'till you get the BFG9000

By far, the most annoying gun feature for me is the reload. Let's say you're in a tight spot with lots of enemies bearing down on you, you exhaust your clip of MG ammo, and it goes to reload. I try to switch directly to shotgun so I can keep firing, but nooooo.. it has to finish reloading the MG, and -then- it switches to the shotgun, further delaying having a weapon firing. It's so annoying. I find that I try to anticipate when the gun is low on ammo so I can switch to another gun before it goes through the reload. That's a lame work around.

Every other game, if your gun starts to reload, you can hit the key for another gun, and it comes up to fire. Not so in Doom3, and it's a huge pain in single player and even more so in multi-player.

Micas said:
By far, the most annoying gun feature for me is the reload. Let's say you're in a tight spot with lots of enemies bearing down on you, you exhaust your clip of MG ammo, and it goes to reload. I try to switch directly to shotgun so I can keep firing, but nooooo.. it has to finish reloading the MG, and -then- it switches to the shotgun, further delaying having a weapon firing. It's so annoying. I find that I try to anticipate when the gun is low on ammo so I can switch to another gun before it goes through the reload. That's a lame work around.

Every other game, if your gun starts to reload, you can hit the key for another gun, and it comes up to fire. Not so in Doom3, and it's a huge pain in single player and even more so in multi-player.

i hate that with a passion :mad:

We need to have exploding bullets, big **s muzzle flashes for the shotgun, 1000 rds. canister for the chain gun and so on. So we can really rip into the demons :D

I like the fact that you cant hold the flashlite and gun at the same time, it makes it scarey to have to switch to a weapon when sh1t jumps out at you. All the other weapons are fine what do you expect from a short barrel shotgun a snipermode? :)

Micas said:

Isn't there an option to disable auto-reload?

I love the game but the weapons seem to be the worst (rehashes) from any ID game. The sounds are incredibly weak too. I know this is Doom 3 but ID's been making the same weapons and reshing them in every game so why are they getting worse? They should have copied the sg and cg from Q2 except for the models because they would have been perfect. The intro weapon in every game is usually useless so the gun is the epitome of that mindset. The plasma gun is decent but runs through ammo too quick. I think Q3's plasma was much better. The RL is well done but the model is huge but I'm nitpicking that one. Splash damage as always is sweet and rocket jumps work nicely. The BFG has great effects and seems weaker than Q2's but barely. The chainsaw is the chainsaw. I just wish that when you use it on a monster that you could slice them into pieces instead of having them explode. One swipe down an enemy and they're cut in half would be sick.

All that being said the sounds need a serious retooling. Especially the cg and sg.
The quickest fix would just be to extarct the pk4's and put my own sounds in but that would probably kill me on a pure server. Actually 2 on 2 is pretty damn boring anyway.....

The flashlight lights up nearly half the room, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Use it to check out a room before entering, not to light up your enemies. I thought it was very well done.

The pistol is the weakest gun and you're fighting zombies and monsters from hell. Somehow you're complaining that it takes a clip to kill anything? Zombies went down with 2-3 headshots or half a clip to the body if you care.

Just when did shotguns become a long range weapon? I thought the spread was fine. I used the shotgun the most since everything was close range.

The machine gun is fine, although you once again complain about it's lack of power. Up until late in the game, I still used it as a primary weapon.

Chaingun ammo is everywhere late game.

Grenades are good when enemies are trying to chase you, or a stupid marine is hiding behind a box. This weapon however, I do hate. First off, the guy throws like a pussy. He can't make a throw half way across the room. Also, the grenades seem to bounce like they're basketballs. Once I threw a grenade down the stairs and it bounced back up at me. :rolleyes: Also, the damage radius is very little, but I guess it can't be avoided considering how tight the levels are.

Plasma guns are slow, but it doesn't take much lead off on your shots. However, considering how much effort you have to put in to hit your target (relatively speaking), I was expecting a much more powerful gun. I find myself using the chaingun in it's place when possible. I didn't like that.

For the rl, well, it's a rl. Dunno what to say about it, it's just a rl. Decent power and hits the target almost instantly. One thing I noticed is while they barely flinch on the first rocket, monsters get thrown a mile away on the one that kills them. Kinda over dramatic I thought.

BFG: Wow, I like how you can charge it for a super shot.

Chainsaw, not much use, but it's fun to have.

The thing I'm most disappointed with is the lack of alternate fire. It's easy to do, yet it brings so much more variety into the game.

kronchev said:
I think they suck. Pretty much all of them so far (up to rocket launcher) except for the chainsaw.

heres my problems

flashlight - lights up goddamn next to nothing, effective against zombies but anything that actually moves fast its useless, plus you cant have it at the same time as weapons so efficivly useless in combat

pistol - semi auto my ass. youd think guns in the future would be able to shoot faster than semi autos now, but i guess in a time when flashlights cant attach to guns... :rolleyes: plus it takes nearly a clip to down anything.

shotgun - HUGE, HUGE spread, much too much to be of any use unless someone is RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU, literally.

machine gun - a rapid fire pea shooter, again stops nothing unless its standing still, from a distance, and you can get 20 rounds into it.

chain gun - i actually like this weapon but so far I think ive found a total of 200 bullets the entire game. fun as hell in multiplayer though, i was owning everyone with it :) reminds me of the UT2k4 gun

grenades - i keep finding tons of these yet i never really use them. not very useful in tight corrodores with monsters charging me

plasma gun - i can spit faster than the plasma balls move. theyre SLOW and not nearly as effective as in doom1 + 2

rocket launcher - ok i like this one too. i love shooting the ground underneith enemies as it launches them :D

chainsaw - ok yes...i like this one as well.

i'm going to write a mod to fix the things i find as problems in this. gotta get the SDK and all.

Micas said:

you could just disable auto reload if it bugs you that much ....

bitch, whine, complain.

my only beef is the shotgun time between shots, so instead of just duking it out, i'll rush em and get the shotgun really close and unload, usually helps quite a bit. . the plasma gun kills everything in it's path. and the machine gun is really usefultoo if you're any kind of shot. rocket launcher i hardly use (don't want to blow myself, or waste em)

Back