WD's first pcie 4.0 ssd to ship by end of the month SN850

How come no one is doing an overkill heatsink like the sabrent rocket pcie4.0?
wondering if they are using a different nand/controller setup than all the other pcie 4.0 drives on the market, that all use the same parts? even downloaded the pdf data sheet and don't see any mention of what controller or nand they are using.

How come no one is doing an overkill heatsink like the sabrent rocket pcie4.0?
you could always get one of these...
61nUPy6ztjL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

ineo M.2 2280 SSD Rocket Heatsink

An nvme pcie 4.0... only about 2 years late to the party, but I guess they were probably trying to hold out for Intel but finally couldn't any longer ;).

Theses could work in a PS5 but sony has not released what would work. High cost for 2tb

That's a matter of preference along with a distinction between "need" vs "want".
Oh, I don't deny that some will prefer PC gaming and can justify the cost to use the PC for other purposes. More power to you if you have the desire and means! It's just a bit funny to see people effectively cry "why get a $400 PS5 when you can get a $2,000 PC instead?" with zero sympathy for the large group of people for whom that price gap is pretty important.

Oh, I don't deny that some will prefer PC gaming and can justify the cost to use the PC for other purposes. More power to you if you have the desire and means! It's just a bit funny to see people effectively cry "why get a $400 PS5 when you can get a $2,000 PC instead?" with zero sympathy for the large group of people for whom that price gap is pretty important.

As much as I despise playing games on consoles, I get it. A lot of people are attracted to consoles because of the relatively cheap prices and near idiot-proof out of the box experience.

Plug it in, turn it on, create/login account, play games or stream tv/movies.
That's quite the level of convenience for the price point. Hard to argue that.

Last edited:
As much as a despise playing games on consoles, I get it. A lot of people are attracted to consoles because of the relatively cheap prices and near idiot-proof out of the box experience.

Plug it in, turn it on, create/login account, play games or stream tv/movies.
That's quite the level of convenience for the price point. Hard to argue that.
Exactly. If all you want to do is quickly hop into a game, you can't afford to keep up with PC gaming, or you just prefer gaming on the couch instead of at a desk, it's great.

Exactly. If all you want to do is quickly hop into a game, you can't afford to keep up with PC gaming, or you just prefer gaming on the couch instead of at a desk, it's great.
And not even so much as keep up with PC gaming, if you were looking at a budget gaming PC right now and comparing it against either an Xbox or PS5 for the same price point which would give a better gaming experience? Depending on the games you play the console is going to come out ahead in that comparison by a decent margin.

And not even so much as keep up with PC gaming, if you were looking at a budget gaming PC right now and comparing it against either an Xbox or PS5 for the same price point which would give a better gaming experience? Depending on the games you play the console is going to come out ahead in that comparison by a decent margin.

Today...yes. In 2-4 years, the pendulum may swing into the budget PC's favor.

Today...yes. In 2-4 years, the pendulum may swing into the budget PC's favor.
Perhaps but I'm thinking that it would be a pretty close call, either way, I am probably going to have to snag a PS5 if for nothing else the Blu-Ray drive as my PS3 is on the way out.

And yet there are people here claiming that a similarly-performing PC will be such a better value!

I think the general point make sense, but using the price of an extremelly niche 2 TB, 7 GB/s drive to compare it to a PS5 that has a 825 gig 5.5 GB/s ssd in it, is a bit of a strange comparable to use for that

I think the general point make sense, but using the price of an extremelly niche 2 TB, 7 GB/s drive to compare it to a PS5 that has a 825 gig 5.5 GB/s ssd in it, is a bit of a strange comparable to use for that

It's not the specific speed so much as the need for a PCIe 4 SSD to offer comparable performance. Sony obviously isn't paying retail prices for its SSDs, but you will if you're trying to build a comparable PC.

Back