WD5000YS [HOT]!!! at newegg $150 shipped

From what I can tell, the real problem is running the non-TLER KS in a RAID array and having the longer recovery time cause a dropout of the drive from the array. However, having the TLER-equipped YS on a non-RAID system should not result in similar results - perhaps more error reporting. Which can be made moot by turning off TLER.

I'm going with the YS, I think. Better performance, better warranty, and now a better price (includes shipping and the KS doesn't). It'll cost me $15 more than the Maxtor Pro from Fry's, but better to have the best now than regret later.

noahabel said:
From what I can tell, the real problem is running the non-TLER KS in a RAID array and having the longer recovery time cause a dropout of the drive from the array. However, having the TLER-equipped YS on a non-RAID system should not result in similar results - perhaps more error reporting. Which can be made moot by turning off TLER.

I'm going with the YS, I think. Better performance, better warranty, and now a better price (includes shipping and the KS doesn't). It'll cost me $15 more than the Maxtor Pro from Fry's, but better to have the best now than regret later.

yep, 2x of these are going in my desktop, just gotta turn off TLER and im all set

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I went to work at 3:00pm UPS attempted delivery at 3:23pm

I got the drive today , newegg is so fast nothing like a 1 day turnover :D

Leave it to fuckin UPS tho the box looks like someone stepped on it... I'm really tempted to ship a box thru them with a g-meter installed in it to see exactly what these drives are going thru before we get them. :rolleyes:

All my drives arrived, and none were DOA.
Newegg seems to have improved their packing methods for drives.

Now sitting on 2 TB :cool:

Got mine yesterday, packaging was excellent and for the record UPS are F&^(ING idiots, the guy left my package next to the doorstep, thank god my sister saw him leave it an got the package, no signiture either :mad: :mad:

anyway im getting another :D

After looking around a little it looks like 500GB drives will be the new sweet spot. Newegg, Outpost, and ZipZoomFly all have a few 500GB drives down to between $120 and $180.

Well 500 gigs looks like the right spot...especially with newegg's bundle deal. The bundle works better than the Western Digital drive. If you're wondering, yes, the bundle deal works out to be even more efficient than the "maxtor deal" from a few days ago.

The code provided in the thread works as well.

http://promotions.newegg.com/HDD/121506/index.html

Ohh yeah, it's Seagate for the drives above.

kitios said:
Well 500 gigs looks like the right spot...especially with newegg's bundle deal. The bundle works better than the Western Digital drive. If you're wondering, yes, the bundle deal works out to be even more efficient than the "maxtor deal" from a few days ago.

the FREDSCAVIAR1211 code doesn't work with this drive.

Still a good deal if you want a seagate. I believe it's faster than the WD, but the WD is supposed to be a much quieter drive (well the KS is, not sure about the YS).

Thanks for the deal--my IBM 75GXP "Deathstar" finally bit the bullet the other day (obviously I wasn't stupid enough to lose anything--in case you weren't aware, IBM lost a class action lawsuit over the poor quality of these drives). So, I just ordered one of these babies to replace it :)

kitios said:

Wow...$250GB for free...thats just insane.

I got both of mine yesterday and a Promise TX4 /3Gb SATA PCI card... Ready for a fresh install of WinXP Pro =)

BTW, my friend just bought one of these drives a few minutes ago. He said the promo code is still working.

Unknown-One said:
After looking around a little it looks like 500GB drives will be the new sweet spot. Newegg, Outpost, and ZipZoomFly all have a few 500GB drives down to between $120 and $180.

120? where?

do you need some sort of coupon?

if so, could you post the coupon?

Rune75 said:
BTW, my friend just bought one of these drives a few minutes ago. He said the promo code is still working.

On the seagate drive or the WD? When i made my post, it worked with the WD drive, but not the seagate drive.

nilepez said:
On the seagate drive or the WD? When i made my post, it worked with the WD drive, but not the seagate drive.
On the Western Digital, of course. Why would the promo code FREDSCAVIAR1211 work on Seagate? Im betting kitios either some how got a fluke, did not read his invoice properly, or is full of BS. Hell, you cant even get a "combo-deal" from Newegg for the WD5000YS using the promo code.

Recieved my 3 drives last night but I haven't gotten a chance to connect them and verify that they work :(

Packaging was still the usual Newegg style. Wrap bubblewrap around the drive a couple times and toss it in a box with some packing peanuts and a Newegg sales flyer. By the time the drives made it to my door, they were all resting against one side of the box, and all the bubbles have on the side between the drives and the box were deflated (though they don't look "popped" as in having any holes or being torn in any way).

I know that they are OEM drives, and as such you can't expect the best packaging, but I really wish Newegg would revise their hard drive shipping methods. We get replacement hard drives from Dell at work all the time, they are OEM drives and Dell ships them all out in styrofoam holders that don't allow the drives to ever come in contact with the side of the box. I wish Newegg would do that :rolleyes:

I know that they are OEM drives, and as such you can't expect the best packaging, but I really wish Newegg would revise their hard drive shipping methods. We get replacement hard drives from Dell at work all the time, they are OEM drives and Dell ships them all out in styrofoam holders that don't allow the drives to ever come in contact with the side of the box. I wish Newegg would do that :rolleyes:

Newegg has always put my OEM hard drives in the foam block holders when I've ordered 3 or more at a time. When I order individual OEM drives, it comes as you describe. Still.. I've only gotten one bad drive from them that I just had to RMA last week. It was a 320GB Western Digital SATA2 drive that was having read/write errors.

really? mine was right in the center packed tight with peanuts,

I think newegg needs to monitor or audit their packers, I have the feeling that some packs like crap and the others packs well. So far I've gotten the bad packing jobbies. I bet the cost saved on packaging materials far outweighs the cost of repalcing a few drives a day.

i hate you.....:mad:
i reaaaaaly hate you.....

^^

then again, the YS has the 5 year warranty...

Yep it's got the 5 year warranty, that's I say to myself too, since I picked up the YS a few days before I saw that AAKS as well :p

Back