WD5000YS [HOT]!!! at newegg $150 shipped

Megalomaniac

2[H]4U
this has been posted on a few forums.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136032&CMP=AFC-Dealnews&ATT=22-136-032

go there and use coupon

FREDSCAVIAR1211

Expires Dec 31 according to what I have seen.

that is a .3/GB deal and can be used as many times as you like (just create a new order each time), so its pretty much as good as any 320 gig drive on the market except that this one has a 5 year warranty and is one of the best performing drives on the market.
If you need the TLER disabling utility, then that is also obtainable.

cheers!
and happy holidays!

Now I just have to scape up the cash for 3 of these before the code expires. 1 TB of Raid5 storage :)

Thanks!!!

lifeinchains said:
How does this compare to the Maxtor deal posted a few days ago?
RE2 is good stuff, although I wouldn't call this deal that hot. I remember getting my re2 from zzf for I believe 159 a few weeks ago.

good deal... i really want the 7200.10 since its scary seeing 2 of 3 failed in the user reviews

farscapesg1 - way ahead of ya, already ordered a bunch :D

lifeinchains - google a "wd5000YS review" and you will find out that this drive is one of the best. the new Seagates beat it in some categories by a bit, but this one produces less heat and noise.

Valve1138 - read my post in its entirerty please.
just create a new order, and you will save an additional 30 on each drive (but each drive will be a seperate order)

{NcsO}ReichstaG - neweggprice 179.99- 30 coupon = 150 + free shipping
150/500 = .3
maybe you have tax extra or something

My only problem with this deal (which is pretty good actually) is that it is from Newegg. Personally, I haven't had the best of luck with drives ordered from the Egg. I would much rather order them from ZipZoomFly, but if I can scrape up the funds I'll probably be taking another chance on the Egg.

Megalomaniac said:
150/500 = .3

.32/GB for me too DAMN YOU TAXES!!!!! :mad:

Megalomaniac said:
150/500 = .3
Yea...tax here in cali sucks. WE THE PEOPLE OF THE U.S. DEMAND 1% tax on all goods.

I bought 2 of 'em... one at a time of course. =)

Thanx for the info

I got two 500s for $300 at Best Buy as well, indeed, a very good deal. My SKU was WD5000YSRTL though, of course. Came with SecureConnects though!

movax said:
I got two 500s for $300 at Best Buy as well, indeed, a very good deal. My SKU was WD5000YSRTL though, of course. Came with SecureConnects though!
Arent the retail versions only 3 year warranty VS the OEM with a 5 year?

farscapesg1 said:
Now I just have to scape up the cash for 3 of these before the code expires. 1 TB of Raid5 storage :)

Thanks!!!

These are not RE drives, nor should they be used in RAID. Controller may drop the drive and you will lose your data if 2 drives drop.

Oh, right, this is Hotdeals, conversations are not to be had.

protias said:
These are not RE drives, nor should they be used in RAID. Controller may drop the drive and you will lose your data if 2 drives drop.

Oh, right, this is Hotdeals, conversations are not to be had.

Umm, you did follow the link, correct? Newegg has them listed as

Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000YS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The original post was for the WD5000YS, which both Newegg and Zipzoomfly list as the RE2 drives.

The discount was still working this afternoon around 3 pm. Good deal, plus free shipping :cool:

WD5000KS is a home drive. It is a bit slower and quiter and does not have TLER
WD5000YS has a 5 year warranty (much better) and is a bit faster. It does have TLER so it is ment for RAID, but the TLER disabling utility can be found (not a big problem reallY)

the main points are these
1) and most important! 5 year warranty.
2) a bit louder, but better performace on the YS (this is VERY marginal, we are talking about >5 percent on both counts)
3) costs 10 bucks more -> YS again
4) the YS is pretty much guaranteed to run at least 1 million hours. 1.2 actually i think (unless DOA out of thebox, which some people do complain about, but i dont seee why, just replace it)

They're designed for two different types of applications, KS and YS that is. KS being normal desktop, YS being server.
I use them for their designed purpose - RAID in my server.
Please read the following two links:

RE vs SE

TLER

MrMike and Megalomaniac thanks for the great posts.

i have been trying to decide on upgrading my wd2500ks drive....I had a thread on here somewhere about it. i looked at the hdd sticky but looks like that hasnt been updated since august.

btw the coupon code is still good but when i tried to apply it to the 5000ks it was invalid. anybody know what the terms of the coupon is? the ys is $149 shipped while the ks was something like $175 shipped

if the coupon was posted for a WD5000YS drive, why would you think that it would work with a WD5000KS? its a different model.
if you see a sale on dodge caravans, why would think that the same sale applies to dodge vipers?

sorry, but i have to drive the point there because the terms were listed in the original post. the only thing that might be off, is the expiration date. But according to some folks posting here, it still seems good.

The purpose of buying this drive, is for a server of for some sort of file storage medium. thats what most people are buing it for. This is the lowest price for a drive of the capacity and calibur.

Megalomaniac said:
if the coupon was posted for a WD5000YS drive, why would you think that it would work with a WD5000KS? its a different model.
if you see a sale on dodge caravans, why would think that the same sale applies to dodge vipers?

sorry, but i have to drive the point there because the terms were listed in the original post. the only thing that might be off, is the expiration date. But according to some folks posting here, it still seems good.

The purpose of buying this drive, is for a server of for some sort of file storage medium. thats what most people are buing it for. This is the lowest price for a drive of the capacity and calibur.

sorry i misunderstood ur prior post. you said it was $10 less (ks) so I assumed that the coupon could be applied to that as well. with that being the case the ys is 150 shipped as compared to the ks @ 175 shipped.

i dont have a server or plan on using it in one....so i guess ill just have to wait until a hot deal comes along for a desktop model. thanks for all your help though.

Found a KS coupon code on Techbargains

FREDSCAVIAR1226 - good for $20 off of $169 = $149 plus shipping

Now, can I really not use the YS in a desktop in a non-RAID capacity?

helluvadeal :)

The only thing that I don't like about big drives like this is that if and when your drive fails and u used much of its space, that's alot of work--you know what I mean?

I know going RAID0 is the way to go in this case but many peeps just buy one of these and use it as their primary drives. I got mixed feeling on these megadrives. I like them though :)

Good price anyway--thanks.

noahabel said:
Found a KS coupon code on Techbargains

FREDSCAVIAR1226 - good for $20 off of $169 = $149 plus shipping

Now, can I really not use the YS in a desktop in a non-RAID capacity?
It's not the "YS" factor that rules this drive a "server" hard drive but rather the RE2 spec it carries. I can't remember what it is, but some parameter about the drive is changed so that error recovery is different. This allows for greater speed, however at the cost of a slight bit of a risk. It's not really a concern though, and it's not a problem at all to use in nonraid config. It's what I'm running right now.

Back