WD360GD laid to rest (tested on TB4@SR, schooled by 7200RPM drives)

DougLite

Supreme [H]ardness
SR comparison of WD360GD to three 250GB 7200RPM drives in the same price range.

Note that although the WD360GD delivers far and away the swiftest seek times of any of the compared drives, it does not manage to win any of the single user DriveMarks. As a matter of fact, the WD360GD places dead last behind the WD2500KS, Hitachi DeskStar T7K250, and Maxtor DiamondMax 10 in four of SR's five single user tests. It manages to pull into third place in the WoW test. The 7200RPM drives compared aren't even flagships, they are units of modest 250GB capacity, and in the same price range as WD360GD. Not only that, but the 7200RPM drives deliver significantly more capacity, across the board better performance, and run much cooler/quieter, especially when seeking. The WD360GD is obsolete, and a poor choice for any desktop application.

Yessssssssssssssss. Finally!

I've been waiting for those noisy heatboxes to be officially dead for a year now.

Well that settles it. It's time to replace my two WD360GDs with a 150.

Goodbye sweet Raptors, it was fun to say I RAIDed thee.

You can pick them up used in the forums for as little as $50 ... bind it with the 5 year warranty and you have a great drive.

Now if 4.8 years from now my 36's fail... i'll get some new raptor 150s! :D haha

Ockie said:
You can pick them up used in the forums for as little as $50 ... bind it with the 5 year warranty and you have a great drive.

Now if 4.8 years from now my 36's fail... i'll get some new raptor 150s! :D haha
Agreed. Mine will be going in a file server once I get my hot hands on a 150.

WD360GD is indeed useful for some situations. It is about the cheapest drive out there that is built to enterprise reliability standards and maybe a good choice for situations where cost per spindle and reliability concerns outweigh capacity and performance considerations. However, 7200RPM drives are a much better choice for desktop SLED users.

Ockie said:

Another option is the Seagate 7200.9 80GB. Also around $50 and carries a 5 year warranty.
Not sure how they compare in speed or reliability.

Back