WD360ADFD Raptor

ribs1

Limp Gawd
I thinking of getting 4 of these for a 4 drive raid 0 array. Are these as fast as the WD740ADFD? I don't need the extra disk space, just the speed.
Any hard facts, links or charts?
Thanks

Well, I've got no charts or hard facts for you, but, they use the same platters as the 74 and 150gb drives (74gb), meaning that half of the platter is disabled/unused. Constant linear velocity, so, the farther out on the platter, the faster you are rotating.
WD is going to give you the faster outer half, so, it's potentially faster.
You can achieve the same effect on the larger drives by partitioning.
Pure speculation without the numbers though

Now, as for your 4-drive RAID-0 array, what is your desired application? Video Editing?

Unless your application for this has HD-Video Editing in it, there is absolutely NO reason for a 4-drive raid-0 array... For daily use, which involves very few sequential transfers, this will probably only slow you down, as latency will be way higher than on a single drive, or even a 2 drive r-0 array. If you want speed, just get a Raptor 150.

This will be used for gaming, surfing, normal computing, benchmarking and bragging. I do not need extra space because I have a 320gb drive for storage. I plan on putting my OS and applications on the array, and all my data on the 320.

I may take the advice and go with a 2 drive array instead if a 4 drive array will actually be slower for what I'm doing.

And please no posts about the dangers of Raid 0. I know the dangers. I will not be storing any data on the Raid 0 array.
Thanks
Ribs

This will be used for gaming, surfing, normal computing, benchmarking and bragging. I do not need extra space because I have a 320gb drive for storage. I plan on putting my OS and applications on the array, and all my data on the 320.

I may take the advice and go with a 2 drive array instead if a 4 drive array will actually be slower for what I'm doing.

And please no posts about the dangers of Raid 0. I know the dangers. I will not be storing any data on the Raid 0 array.
Thanks
Ribs

Please no double sigs ;)

If you use a single raptor 150, it will use less power than 2 raptors.

I thinking of getting 4 of these for a 4 drive raid 0 array. Are these as fast as the WD740ADFD? I don't need the extra disk space, just the speed.
Any hard facts, links or charts?
Thanks
Yes they are as fast, but I'd just use 2 and not 4 in RAID0 unless you needed some real high STR rate. You'll have plenty of STR with 2 and you won't lose much, if any, seek time as compared to 4. Links below to some HD Tach benches of 36, 74 and 150 models:

36GB ADFD
74GB ADFD
150GB ADFD
150GB AHFD

Does this have anything to do with my question?
Thanks
ribs

Yes, if you are going to have 4 drives totally 150GB, you might as well go with a single drive. It would use less power and produce less heat than 4, or even 2, drives. RAID0 really only benefits for video editing or photo editing. It really depends on a lot of options, but for at least 90% of the time, RAID0 is not worth it.

What's a double sig?

This is a double sig below

protias

My name is seen as the poster and now at the bottom of the post. Read rule #25 ;)

Yes, if you are going to have 4 drives totally 150GB, you might as well go with a single drive. It would use less power and produce less heat than 4, or even 2, drives. RAID0 really only benefits for video editing or photo editing. It really depends on a lot of options, but for at least 90% of the time, RAID0 is not worth it.

This is a double sig below

protias

My name is seen as the poster and now at the bottom of the post. Read rule #25 ;)

Thanks for the info. No more double sigs.
As far as the Raid goes, I will probably go with 2x 36gb raptors, unless I find some convincing info that 1 drive will give me the same performance in which case I will probably go with 1x 36 gb.
Thanks

Thanks for the info. No more double sigs.
As far as the Raid goes, I will probably go with 2x 36gb raptors, unless I find some convincing info that 1 drive will give me the same performance in which case I will probably go with 1x 36 gb.
Thanks

Than

Go with 2x 36's, you probably won't need all 4 drives, but it wouldn't really slow you down. Even is heat/space/power is not an issue, I still think go with 2 drives and use the extra $200 you would have spent and use it for a better case/powersupply/dvd burner/data backup drive/etc

Go with 2x 36's, you probably won't need all 4 drives, but it wouldn't really slow you down. Even is heat/space/power is not an issue, I still think go with 2 drives and use the extra $200 you would have spent and use it for a better case/powersupply/dvd burner/data backup drive/etc

I'm pretty sure this is what I will do. Heat, space and power are not issues for me.
Thanks

I ran 2 36Gb raptors in Raid-0 before and upgraded about 6 months ago to 3 drives. There is a difference in transferring large files. Finding the right cluster size is also important in reducing that latency.

Running the third drive didn't help my programs start any faster, but loading times were reduced significantly.

Back