WD1500HLFS in disty

One easy way to find out what the deal with the 300GB ones is is to short-stroke the WD300DGFLS to 80GB and then compare it to the WD800HLFS benchmarks.

Which HD testing program will test partitions and not the whole drive?

And these are the results I'm getting with a VR partitioned to @ 60GB that contain my OS and programs. Tests are on an Abit IP35-Pro running in IDE mode......

passmarkhdtestswn3.jpg

discreadbe3.jpg

diskwritecm3.jpg

Ok, here are some benchmarks for the 80GB Velociraptor (thanks Flecom, received your package):

1st WD800HLFS:

30cbqyt.jpg

2nd WD800HLFS:

2im1bth.jpg

Both on Areca 1210 RAID 0:

35a7o05.jpg

As expected, the 80GB Velociraptors are not faster than the 300GB (Flecom, what kind of HD were you benching in your pic here: http://flecom.fragmachines.com/fs/hdtune80.gif ?? ;) )

I keep seeing people with burst speeds around 150MB, and dammit those are SATA II drives so I know they're faster, just as FLECOM's picture shows: they should easily burst at 250MB or higher. I've seen a bunch of people, including ones with that WD 640GB drive and similar ones lately and they're all getting "stuck" at about 150MB for the burst speed.

Something is most definitely wrong someplace...

Here's my 80GB VR.......
hdtunebenchmarkwdcwd800qr0.png

...And this is the 300GB VR....
300gbvriw4.jpg

As you can see, there's no startling differences between the 300GB and 80GB units.

Well someone ask FLECOM how the hell he got such massive numbers on the one(s) he owned 'cause we all wanna know. :)

He's writing his own super-ultra-mega-hella-tuned drivers, that's what he's doing... gotta be something like that. ;)

Old Hippie, seems like the 80 GB drive has a more consistent speed, which is a good thing.

Old Hippie, seems like the 80 GB drive has a more consistent speed, which is a good thing.

Yes, it is dropping off only very moderately. I guess this indicates that the platter is not used on the inner tracks.

I also like the much better average access time - the gap between 300GB and 80GB Velociraptor is nearly as big as between the old Raptor and Velociraptor 300GB. Again, this might be due to a short-stroked platter.

anybody know when these HLFS's are going to be released and sold???

wdc.com has them listed but no sale price... ... newegg ain't got jack.... .... it only seems special dealers and companies have them their prices are damned high! :(

NCIX has them in stock for $209 CAD, although I personally wouldn't buy until $180 CAD tops.

Is WD just trying to unload all the 300gb versions or what? Anyone heard of an actual date or is WD having issues manufacturing them?

NCIX has them in stock for $209 CAD, although I personally wouldn't buy until $180 CAD tops.

The website shows in stock.....But they have outrageous shipping charges and you have to pay for insurance? I personally don't see how they stay in business.

I've been waiting for more of the backplane compatible drivers to make it into the channels before picking any of these up. Though I'm probably going to go with either a single 300GB drive or two 300GB drives for some RAID-0 action.

I have them in stock in Croatia and they are 210$ :/
And that's without local VAT of cool 22% o_0

Partition off the first 80gb of a 300 or 150 and youll see something similar most likely.

Yes, I'm shortstroking / Intel Matrix RAID0 volume for my OS. It's an 80GB slice, so it's only using the first 40GB on the outside edges of my 2 Velociraptor 300's. Nice and fast with low access times. Good stuff.

Partition off the first 80gb of a 300 or 150 and youll see something similar most likely.

If you'll look at my post on the top of the last page, that's what I did with a 300GB VR. The first 60GB was partitioned and tested.

The problem is, I could only find one program that would test a partition and comparing 2 different programs results seems to be like comparing apples to oranges.

The test on the 300GB unit, partitioned or not, always looks basically the same in HD Tune.

The test on the 300GB unit, partitioned or not, always looks basically the same in Passmark.

Passmark always made the drives look smoother and random access faster.

I'm satisfied with both drives. :D

I am not sure if this has been posted yet, but newegg just posted the 150gb drive (first I have seen it at least. Hopefully mine will ship out today and I should have it by wednesday.

Damn newegg got these sexy babies in VR raptor 150gb backplane!!! :eek:

gettin 2 asap!

Yeah, they'll come with the icepack thing. Bare drive in NewEgg-ese means hard drive in antistatic bag wrapped in bubble wrap and thrown in a box with peanuts. No cables, screws, manual, box or anything else.

jup baredrive = just the drive without screws, manual, software,
basicly the icepack is the drive hehe
with samsung you do get a quickguide and some screws but depends ;P

Do I get to officially say "I told you so" now that the 150GB VR has come out at $190 after everyone complained that $1/GB was too expensive for the VR 300GB? :p

Anyway, I do look forward to seeing some results in comparison to the 300's, though I suspect that dropping one platter would not change things much.

Do I get to officially say "I told you so" now that the 150GB VR has come out at $190 after everyone complained that $1/GB was too expensive for the VR 300GB? :p

Anyway, I do look forward to seeing some results in comparison to the 300's, though I suspect that dropping one platter would not change things much.

Part of me wishes I would have waited for the 150's vs. buying my 2 300's, but I ama ctually glad I have the space and the short stroking is even better because of the larger size.

BUT, I know that the WD740ADFD's (one platter) always squeaked out a tiny bit moreperformance than their WD150ADFD big brother (two platter). Wonder if we'll see the same thing with the VR's.

it seems newegg either no longer has the HLFS's or is completely out of stock :(

man i hope bestbuy get these HLFS's in soon

So will there be an 80gb version of the velociraptor soon? I want to get one to have as an OS/game drive and use my current 400 gb for storage.

There already is an 80GB Velociraptor, but it seems only Dell has been using them for the time being as that's the only company I've noted that had them in some machines. Over time we may see them in more places, however...

gah, what a dumb design, all they had to do was offset the drive in the cage and they'd have no extra pointless parts. I mean who cares if the "heatsink" is larger on one side than the other.

thats what i was thinking.

These 150's look very nice. I really love the low access times with a small raid 0 slice, but I will pass. Rocking 2 640GB drives in a Matrix Raid setup. ;)

Back