WD1500HLFS in disty

Drudenhaus

2[H]4U
Looks like the 150GB Velociraptor is showing up in distribution. None in stock, but we have pricing! Here's a screenshot I just took from Ingram Micro's website:

wd1500hlfs.jpg

A rep at Ingram Micro also said that the "HLFS" models will be backplane compatible. He described it to me as a sled, with a backplane sort of thing to move the connectors.

probaly like this

Picture2-002.jpg

raptor2.jpg

raptor3.jpg

:)

damn i just saw this the other day here. some guy was selling a bunch of his stuff off!

that hard drive bee lookin sexy! need sum

gah, what a dumb design, all they had to do was offset the drive in the cage and they'd have no extra pointless parts. I mean who cares if the "heatsink" is larger on one side than the other.

damn i just saw this the other day here. some guy was selling a bunch of his stuff off!

that hard drive bee lookin sexy! need sum

um, that was me too lol

Sources say the 80GB version will be BTO (build to order) only. Anybody want to split an order 1000? :rolleyes:

Well, I am sure Newegg will carry them. I am just not sure if I want an 80 or a 150...

Probably the 80GB just because it won't be any more than $100. Hard to justify $180 for 150GB, but $100 80GB of that speed is easy..

i wonder what kind of platter design is being used for the 80gb & 150gb version. i hope it still has the same density as the 300gb version

anybody got info on this?

Well, I am sure Newegg will carry them. I am just not sure if I want an 80 or a 150...

Probably the 80GB just because it won't be any more than $100. Hard to justify $180 for 150GB, but $100 80GB of that speed is easy..

Not likely. BTO is typically for OEMs. For example, Dell may sell them in a particular computer model. Now Dell may end up selling them individually, but who knows.

Thats why I bought my four existing first gen Raptors used. I was like 80GB for $90-100 is a no brainer for this speed. I hope the new ones are about the same price.

Tho... if they managed a 150GB for $150 I'd so do that.

Tho... if they managed a 150GB for $150 I'd so do that.

The 150GB version with the hot swap compatible tray is $188 in distribution (though not stocked yet--see my screenshot from Ingram Micro's site in the first post). $150 will likely be wishful thinking. At $188, you're looking at about $1.25/gb. At that price, the 80GB version will be $100; if you make it a curve then you're talking about $115.

Not likely. BTO is typically for OEMs. For example, Dell may sell them in a particular computer model. Now Dell may end up selling them individually, but who knows.

newegg was selling the OEM only version of the 160gb first gen raptor (WD1600ADFS) that DELL was using, so it could happen

80 won't be as fast right? Since it'll have smaller less dense platters, I imagine.

The 150GB version with the hot swap compatible tray is $188 in distribution

Not bad, cheaper than I thought it was gonna be.

It's still no easier to put in a laptop.

i wonder what kind of platter design is being used for the 80gb & 150gb version. i hope it still has the same density as the 300gb version

anybody got info on this?
80 won't be as fast right? Since it'll have smaller less dense platters, I imagine.
Not bad, cheaper than I thought it was gonna be.

It's still no easier to put in a laptop.
The 300GB is two platters, four heads (top and bottom on each platter). The 150GB is likely one platter, two heads. The 80GB is probably single-head. Originally I thought the single-platter versions would be thinner and therefore fit in a laptop, but FLECOM said in another thread that he's fairly sure they're still 12.5mm- makes sense for them to just make one size housing, I guess. :( Anyway, you'd have voltage supply issues- laptop drives run off the +5V, whereas these heavily load the +12V side. (And yes, FLECOM, I knew that part. :p)

it did pretty allright ;)

here is the HD Tune of the WD300DGFLS vs WD800HLFS (WD300DGFLS tested by [H] member TechLarry, I dont own a WD300DGFLS)

WD300DGLFS
HDTach-WD300DGFLS.png

WD800HLFS
hdtune80.gif

here is the ATTO benchmark of the WD300DGFLS vs WD800HLFS (WD300DGFLS tested by [H] member TechLarry, I dont own a WD300DGFLS)

WD300GLFS
ATTOBench32-WD300DGLFS.jpg

WD800HLFS
atto80.gif

Weird concept that they are trying to do. I don't understand why they just don't sell detachable heatsinks with an offset rather thank making this stupid relocated backplane.

it did pretty allright ;)

here is the HD Tune of the WD300DGFLS vs WD800HLFS (WD300DGFLS tested by [H] member TechLarry, I dont own a WD300DGFLS)

Holy....I almost don't believe those benches are real, FLECOM ;)

I need to find some way to acquire 4 of those!

Yeah, those are some insane speeds. Anyone have any idea why (and how) the 80GB can be that much faster than the 300? Particularly with regards to access times? I suppose some may depend on the host systems, but those are huge differences, so controllers can't just be all.

As for the caddy, it does seem odd they can't just make one that fits properly without requiring that backplane thing, but my guess is that it's because of where the screws are on the drive - I haven't handled one in person, but I'm assuming that like any other hard drive, there are screws on the bottom, and on the sides. It may be that they couldn't line it up with the appropriate tolerances for hot swap bays, etc while still using the standard screw layouts. Odd, but at least we have VelociRaptors with standard connectors now. I may finally replace my very old main PC in the next month or so, and a 150 VR would be mighty tempting.

I was under the impression that the smaller the drive size, the less data that needs to be searched to find something. I mean I have a 300 GB drive and after partitioning a 32GB, the access time dropped, and the transfer speeds increased as well.

They probably used half the platter as in the outside which explains the lower seek time.

WTH. At first, I thought you were giving us RAID 0 benchies for that 80 GB. If this is the true performance, then I will be sitting tight until those are out in quantity to the mainstream.

Damn, and I was thinking the 150GB model for ~$190 was great, but those 80GB benches... that's freakin' insane stuff, man. Wow...

Those 80GB numbers are insane!

Either WD held back with the 300GB V-Raptor, or they seriously tweaked out the 80GB V-Raptor.

How did you get ahold of the 80GB version?

IIRC the 80GB version is only available in very very very large quantities.

For now, that seems to be the case. FLECOM's stock which I'm sure is now history and in the hands of new owners were pulls from Dell Optiplex boxes... wouldn't mind having just one of those 80GB models, that's all I'd need... just one. :)

I don't believe the benches......no way is it that fast by itself.....and no way the access time is that different!

Im sure the 74GB will be similar to the 80GB. Im thinking of getting a 74GB for my OS and use my 300GB for programs. Might be a happy mix.

One easy way to find out what the deal with the 300GB ones is is to short-stroke the WD300DGFLS to 80GB and then compare it to the WD800HLFS benchmarks. If no one does that prior till Saturday I'll give it a shot, should have some WD300DGFLS by tomorrow night.

The 300GB at 80GB should be faster IMO than the 80GB because it has 2 platters so you can make it the fastest 40GB of a platter. Dont know which partition software lets you partition the outer parts of the disk. Anyone can suggest one?

I don't believe the benches......no way is it that fast by itself.....and no way the access time is that different!

I purchased one from FLECOM and once it arrives I'll do the same benches on the 80GB drive and then one on a 40GB partition.

Why wouldn't the access times be faster? You're moving only one head instead of four, and only have to read one surface to find the sector instead of four and then sorting out which one is the one requested..

EDIT: you also have to take into account that it's two different systems doing the benchmarks. There's no telling how much controller overhead is affecting the results.

The 300GB at 80GB should be faster IMO than the 80GB because it has 2 platters so you can make it the fastest 40GB of a platter. Dont know which partition software lets you partition the outer parts of the disk. Anyone can suggest one?

I always thought whatever first partition one creates automagically ends up on the outer tracks first. Meaning HDDs are written outer to inner edge.

I always thought whatever first partition one creates automagically ends up on the outer tracks first. Meaning HDDs are written outer to inner edge.

They are. If the 80GB is a single platter "short-stroked" drive (which I don't believe it is, but I could be wrong), then that's 40GB per side. If you took the 300GB drive and partitioned off 80GB, that would be split up among 4 surfaces resulting in 20GB per side... half the area of the 80GB.

Dunno, the only way I can think of barring system differences is that the 80GB is short stroked. Which may explain why it is so much faster. Not even a small difference, nearly half the seek and a good amount more MB/s:eek::eek:. In the past with smaller drives with less heads there isn't that much difference in speed.

comes to ~$185 with shipping though :(

by the looks of things though, this one will spread through retailers much better without the Alienware/Newegg exclusive months.
I'm debating waiting on this and grabbing the 300gb from BB Sunday for $150+tax out of pocket ($100 gc)

Back