WD1001FALS 1TB Caviar Black $77.99 @ Newegg

Yup I was just getting ready to post this one as well, gonna bite on one or two myself.

Have 2 running RAID0 in my rig (see sig). Very nice drives. Worth the price.

Not low enough for me to bite on another one, I paid $72 for mine 8 months ago.

could someone please explain why this hard drive would be a better deal vs the hitachi listed in the mardi gras savings promo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...11-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22136284-L04D

the WD is 3GB/s @ 7200rpm, but the hitachi lists 6GB/s with no listing of the rpm. it does say in the description "CoolSpin Design – For power efficiency and quiet operation" which leads me to believe it's supposed to compete with the WD green drives which i think are 5400rpm?

i know some people dislike hitachi HDs but i've had a great experience with them so far, and 2TB vs 1TB is a huge difference when they're the same price.

Bit on two to replace the 6xx GB older Seagates I got. Went thru fatwallet for $1.17 CB per drive, helps sweeten the deal some more. Plan on RAID-0'ing them.

Ive used about 50 of these in the past 3 years for builds, and have had 0 DOA and only 1 fail. Pretty reliable in my mind.

Is this really worth the ~33% price premium over a Samsung HD103SJ which sells for ~$60?

Is this really worth the ~33% price premium over a Samsung HD103SJ which sells for ~$60?
God no. The 1TB Blacks were great drives when they came out two and a half years ago. Now we have newer HDD's that are just as good and cheaper, SSD's that blow them out of the water performance-wise, and storage HDD's with much better GB/$ ratios. It's a drive that's good at everything but great for nothing. I think the worst thing about them is the noise though, as they are very loud. Can't say this is a hot deal.

Not low enough for me to bite on another one, I paid $72 for mine 8 months ago.

So you know, I grabbed a few 2tb blacks on BF for $69.99 each :p Doesn't mean that this is a bad deal, after all, today you can't buy the 1tb black for less than this price.

Last edited:
God no. The 1TB Blacks were great drives when they came out two and a half years ago. Now we have newer HDD's that are just as good and cheaper, SSD's that blow them out of the water performance-wise, and storage HDD's with much better GB/$ ratios. It's a drive that's good at everything but great for nothing. I think the worst thing about them is the noise though, as they are very loud. Can't say this is a hot deal.

Agreed, that's the sad truth. The difference between this drive and a cheaper 7200RPM drive is negligible, not really worth paying extra for a "premium" drive.

Don't even consider jumping to the shiny new SATA 6, 64MB cache gimmick. Hard drives don't even hit the SATA 3 specs. SATA 6 is more for SSDs.

These make great OS and game drives. They aren't loud either. Maybe it's your case. ;)

So you know, I grabbed a few 2tb blacks on BF for $69.99 each :p Doesn't mean that this is a bad deal, after all, today you can't buy the 1tb black for less than this price.

Yes I saw the target ad aswell, they were sold out by the time I got off work.

Today? No, next week? Maybe. Just not worth it, I have enough storage to keep me going for awhile anyway, all greens but I would like to swap them to Blacks if I can get them cheap enough.

Today? No, next week? Maybe. Just not worth it, I have enough storage to keep me going for awhile anyway, all greens but I would like to swap them to Blacks if I can get them cheap enough.

Well, is that a good enough reason to bash this deal? :rolleyes:

Well, is that a good enough reason to bash this deal? :rolleyes:

I wasn't bashing anything, I made a comment, why are you trying to instigate something? I simply mentioned that I purchased this same drive months ago for a cheaper price and it wasn't even on sale. I can't stand Newegg's fluxating price BS.

Newegg and Amazon have the same price. The difference is Newegg's $10 promotion. Good enough for me for an excellent hard drive.

Back