WD Red nas 8tb or Purple 8 tb for storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-tex

Limp Gawd
Helo i am looking to buy one hardisk 8TB for storage ,, i am not interested for the speed/

can you suggested me one hardisk 8TB for storage?

i will store avi and blUERAY movies files and mp3 files collections

so which to buy>? WD Red nas 8tb or Purple 8 tb for storage?

Purple drives are for surveillance camera devices. The idea is turn the error recovery to a minimal time setting. It's better to have errors / minor glitches in the recorded data then a delay. You probably don't want to store important data on such an array.

so red nas are very good for storage ?? such as avi and blUERAY movies files and mp3 files collections ??

i didnt know that red nas can be used for avi and blUERAY movies files and mp3 files collections

because red nas are for server??

also do you believe that red nas are better from blues and purple for storage???

WD Red - made for NAS, but are great storage drive for important data.
WD Purple - primary made for surveillance, DVR, and NVR.
WD Blue - for everyday use. Usually installed in Desktop computers.

Even though the red are made for NAS they are great storage drive. The red have built in vibration protection and are rated double the load/unload cycle then the other drives. This makes them more reliable to hard drive failure when storing important data.

i didnt know that red nas can be used for avi and blUERAY movies files and mp3 files collections

because red nas are for server??
They're not for servers -- servers get SAS drives by default. The 'Red' labeling is a retail thing, and they're literally for active storage. NASs are one use case, but storage drives in a desktop are another. You can put them in servers if you want, you'll just not get 'Red' drives if you buy a server from a vendor like Dell or HP.

WD Blue - for everyday use. Usually installed in Desktop computers.
Yup, basically anywhere that SSDs or even Reds are too expensive, either due to the capacity needed or the expendability of the system.

between red nas and blue drives which is better for storage? avi and blUERAY movies files and mp3 files collections ??

For a storage focus as you're mentioning, Red is very likely the best way to go.

I should also mention that given your intended storage requirements - 8TB - and that you're looking for something similar to a WD Red, I would highly suggest that you look into "shucked" drives from WD external HDDs. WD Elements and WD Easy Store externals drives tend to have "white label" drives inside them, with specs that equate to being WD Reds, or even WD Gold / HGST He8 (the latter two being higher end enterprise storage drives) depending! However, these externals often go on sale for much less of what it may cost to get a comparable WD Red bare drive. Consider that the 8TB WD Elements / EasyStore often go on sale for $120/130 where a bare WD red of that size is around $210! There are similar deals for 10TB, 12TB, and even 14TB now!

The process to "shuck" the drive out of its enclosure is not difficult and you can of course keep the enclosure for later use or RMA. The only thing you MAY have to consider is that, depending on how old the intended PC's power supply, you may need to either use the Molex power vs SATA power with an adapter OR cover a single pin on the drive's SATA power connector with a kind of tape; however, you may not need to do either of these things if your PSU is recent from the last few years or so. If you'd like more info on shucking storage drives, check out the thread in the HotDeals forum here, or the /r/DataHoarder sub-reddit .

why some people from country are saying that the purple can be used for storage like avi and blUERAY movies files and mp3 files collections /???

why some people from country are saying that the purple can be used for storage like avi and blUERAY movies files and mp3 files collections /???
It's a hard drive. It stores data.

Being a 'Purple' drive doesn't change that; the labeling is just to designate what the drive has been optimized for.

one person told some things about red nas and tell me if you agree

If you connect red nas to a normal desktop, running Windows - in the worst case - you could get a corrupt disk in a case where the drive encounters an error.

What I mean, something like a WD Blue is a 'dumb drive'. If there is an issue, it won't try to figure out what went wrong, because that is not its task. That is the task of the desktop (or Windows).
A WD Red a smarter hard drive. If there is an issue, it will want to figure out what is wrong and fix it. You desktop/Windows however will think - while this drive is trying to figure out what the issue is - that the hard drive is dead. It is not responding after all.

In that way, it depends on what you are using the drives in.
Desktop: Seagate Barracuda/WD Blue/WD Black
NAS: WD Red/Seagate IronWolf
Surveillance system: WD Purple

do you agree or disagree/? with all these things he told me/?

Last edited:
If you connect red nas to a normal desktop, running Windows - in the worst case - you could get a corrupt disk in a case where the drive encounters an error.

Any drive regardless of how much it costs (even enterprise drives) can die at any time (regardless of how much you use it) rendering your data completely unavailable (well without having to resort to a backup or a drive data recovery company)

What I mean, something like a WD Blue is a 'dumb drive'. If there is an issue, it won't try to figure out what went wrong, because that is not its task. That is the task of the desktop (or Windows).
A WD Red a smarter hard drive. If there is an issue, it will want to figure out what is wrong and fix it. You desktop/Windows however will think - while this drive is trying to figure out what the issue is - that the hard drive is dead. It is not responding after all.

Disagree, a blue drive is not that different from a red drive. The red may have better components and a slightly different error handling firmware but there is really no smart versus dumb.

In that way, it depends on what you are using the drives in.
Desktop: Seagate Barracuda/WD Blue/WD Black
NAS: WD Red/Seagate IronWolf
Surveillance system: WD Purple

This part is reasonable. Although NAS drives will work fine in a desktop for media storage.

Last edited:
what you mean when you say that a blue drive is not that different from a red drive ??

what you mean with this./?

what you mean when you say that a blue drive is not that different from a red drive ??

what you mean with this./?

I would call this part false:

A blue drive will try to recover a bad sector in the same manner as a red. The amount of time it will try may not be the same. Also a red I believe has the ability for the user to reduce this time to a small number in the case that the user is using the drive in a raid array and does not want the drive to try since the raid can recover.

so reds nas can be used for storage like avi and mp3 files???

to buy red nas 8TB for storage like avi and mp3 files???

because i have alot of libraries with avi ( old and new movies and mp3 files with old and new tracks

do you believe that the purple drives can used with safe for storage like avi and mp3 files??? like red nas??

do you believe that the purple drives can used with safe for storage like avi and mp3 files??? like red nas??

No, not really. They are not designed for that use case.

i dont understand why alot of people from country are using purples for storage like avi ,, mp3 files and etc

You can use any of WD color(blue, green, purple, black) you want for storage. But the red are purposely made for storing all the data you are listing. If you want to use the Purple or any other color you can do so. Just know that they are not as reliable as the red and they are not made for storing data reliably. It's up to you to decide whether you want to take that risk.

i dont understand why alot of people from country are using purples for storage like avi ,, mp3 files and etc

Probably the price and ignorance of the buyer (meaning they don't really understand what the difference and use case are about)

tell me something what is your opinion for black 6TB western drives??> for performance are better from baracuda pros???

Which one is better for gaming?.

I currently have a 4TB Barracuda (non-Pro) for gaming

But it is SLOW. As it's got more full it seems to slow down more and more, which I know as you get to the inside of the platter there is slower speeds but the slow speeds seem to effect the entire drive. No fragmentation, tried everything, no smart errors, just want to replace it at this point.

Between the choice of the Barracuda Pro (which I've heard is a lot better than than non-pro Barracuda) or the WD Black (which is £30 more expensive). Is there clear better choice?

i am interesting to buy one from these hardisks i want the hardisk for to have inside my games,

which from these 2 is better,, faster and less failures and problems?

which from these 2 has better controller,, platers and etc>?>? and technology architecture/??

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally I would buy a 1 or 2TB SSD for my games if speed is important.

If it has to be one of the 2 drives you mention I would go with the WD black but both are in most cases good enough that it does not realy matter.

which from these 2 has better controller,, platers and etc>?>? and technology architecture/??

The speed difference is not that much.

and less failures and problems?

Both drives should have 2% or so expected annual failure rate for the first 5 years. Meaning if you buy 1000 of a model expect around 980 will still work after the first year.

baracuuda pro 6TB or black 6TB??

I don't think I have seen an unbiased tear down review so that part is not easy to answer.

what you mean you havent seen an unbiased tear down review so that part is not easy to answer. ??

what you mean with this/?

With failure rates at sub 2% for most drives, for the most part your brand experiences are likely to be anecdotal. It's a bit like car brands - you might have great luck with Ford and shit with Chevy, while someone next door to you might have the exact opposite experience. In reality, if every car Chevy made was a piece of crap then they wouldn't still be in business, and if every car Ford made was blessed with 100% reliability then nobody would buy anything except Fords. Hard drives are very similar.

The only real exceptions are when drives have specific characteristics that make them unsuitable for certain deployment scenarios. For example, the lowest end Barracuda drives have a power saving feature that occasionally confuses RAID controllers into thinking the drive is dead because of how aggressively they go to sleep. That feature makes those drives specifically not recommended for use in RAID arrays. Likewise, any SMR-based drive will likely also not find a good home on a RAID array or NAS device because they won't understand the oddball performance characteristics of a SMR drive.

Almost everything else about the difference between drive lines is down to guarantees and warranties. If you want to use a drive in a 24-disk array, then Seagate figured out they can tell you that only Exos drives are "validated" for that kind of configuration. Coincidentally, those drives are more expensive. In reality, their IronWolf drives would likely be just fine, but if they *can* sell a more expensive product for a niche segment then of course they're going to do so. And all the crap about "vibration tolerance" is a bunch of bullshit; if your 24-bay chassis is vibrating enough to bother your disk drives, then you've got a shit chassis and no amount of built-in vibration tolerance is going to help. It's just something that sounds good, and maybe has a niche practical application, but in reality mostly exists to be a justification / differentiator between two otherwise very similar product lines allowing for one to be more expensive than the other.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back