WD RE4 Hard Drives.

Hello

Before I made my purchase for some of these, I researched mainly from reviews and decided WD was the way to go, Seagate seemed to get the worst HD ratings overall.

I have seen some sigs showing huge amounts of Hitachi drives but not much regarding WD.

Is it anything major to worry about? or should I move away from WD for any future purchases?

Regards

We have found the RE4s to be quite reliable - I wouldn't worry.

The RE drives are specifically designed for Raid configurations. They don't disappear like the other WD drives.Have bought nothing but WD plain Blacks or RE drives for many years now with real good luck!

RE4 drives are solid, I have a pair with over 35K hours on them. Also have some older blacks with the same.
If your controller is SATAIII then you might want to look at the new RE which is just an updated RE4 for a small price increase.
RE4's are SATAII. You won't see a huge difference but they are newer.

Instead of ABYX they are ABYZ.

They Dont draw much more power than reds and are much faster among some of the fastest WD makes and are among the most reliable. I just built a NAS with five 3TB RE4 drives its silent and a quick little bastard.

The RE drives are specifically designed for Raid configurations. They don't disappear like the other WD drives.Have bought nothing but WD plain Blacks or RE drives for many years now with real good luck!

RE4 drives are solid, I have a pair with over 35K hours on them. Also have some older blacks with the same.
If your controller is SATAIII then you might want to look at the new RE which is just an updated RE4 for a small price increase.
RE4's are SATAII. You won't see a huge difference but they are newer.

Instead of ABYX they are ABYZ.

They Dont draw much more power than reds and are much faster among some of the fastest WD makes and are among the most reliable. I just built a NAS with five 3TB RE4 drives its silent and a quick little bastard.

Excellent, thanks for the comments.

Back