WD RE 4tb drives dropping in price

Pultzar

Limp Gawd
Not long ago these were $400 each and now I have seen them for just over $300. $309 on Amazon last night for SATA.

Perhaps something new coming down the pipe?

5TB is on the books, for sure... but not for a while.

Might just be because manufacturing is improving.

Sorry but tell me when it drops to ~$140.
Most of my 4TB drives I bought were ~$120. And for this one, I would pay $20 more for another year of warranty.

Good. When they hit about $130-140, they'll be worth upgrading from my current 3TB drives... Although, I'm eyeing a set of 5TBs instead.

Toshiba announced their 5tb and the HGST 6tb has been out for awhile, although at ridiculous prices.

Sorry but tell me when it drops to ~$140.
Most of my 4TB drives I bought were ~$120. And for this one, I would pay $20 more for another year of warranty.

You purchased enterprise drives for $120?

You purchased enterprise drives for $120?
He's probably running consumer stuffs. Enterprise 4TB drives start at $300/drive or so. For that price, you may as well just buy 2-3x consumer drives and RAID-10 them.

He's probably running consumer stuffs. Enterprise 4TB drives start at $300/drive or so. For that price, you may as well just buy 2-3x consumer drives and RAID-10 them.

Yeah I have considered that. The issue then becomes physical space (for me). 5-6tb drives would help out there!

i have one for sale if anyone is interested...it was from warranty replacement. never used it.

Unless WD improves the density of enterprise to 1 or 1.2 we won't see any 5TB.
They will not go over 5 platters in a current 3.5 chassis.

The fact the reds which do not have a very good reliably rating could be due to the 1TB platters.

Even the latest HGST NAS 7200 rpm drive are still using 800/platter.

Back