WD® Introduces Fast and Rugged Solid State Drives

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD today announced that the company is shipping its first consumer-oriented solid state drive (SSD) with the new WD SiliconEdge™ 2.5-inch SSD family. WD SiliconEdge Blue™ SSDs offer fast read/write speeds and high SSD capacities, making them an ideal storage solution for read-intensive applications requiring high performance and plug-and-play compatibility.

WD SiliconEdge Blue SSDs, in capacities up to 256 gigabytes (GB), feature a native SATA 3.0 gigabits per second (Gb/s) interface with read speeds up to 250 megabytes per second (MB/s) and write transfer rates up to 170 MB/s. Fast and rugged, WD SiliconEdge Blue SSDs accelerate application performance and deliver maximum tolerance for drops, shock and vibration along with silent and low-power operation.

The manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) for WD SiliconEdge Blue SSD 64 GB (model SSC-D0064SC-2100) capacity is $279.00, the 128 GB (model SSC-D0128SC-2100) capacity is $529.00 and the 256 GB (SSC-D0256SC-2100) capacity is $999.00 USD.

Hmmm...not for casual users.

I wonder if this is a typo or not in the white paper..

feature a native SATA 3.0 gigabits per second (Gb/s)

Did they mean SATA 3Gb/s or SATA 3.0 6Gb/s?

I wonder if this is a typo or not in the white paper..

I was wondering that myself. I was also wondering since they got into the SSD so late why are they not beating the others out there on speed read and writes. I would have thought since they waited tooo long to release one that they would at least beat some of them and start off on SATA 3.0 6Gb/s since it is backwards compatible. and the price is out of most people's budgets.

I'd like to see how they compare to the Crucial Real SSD C300.

I would think that they mean SATA 3Gb/s. On the advertisment and on the specification page it has that particular tidbit, and the max read value (250 MB/s) is towards the top of the real SATA 3Gb/s throughput.

I'm sorry but SSD's won't be "consumer-oriented" until they drop down to or below $1 a gig.

I'm sorry but SSD's won't be "consumer-oriented" until they drop down to or below $1 a gig.

Amen brother. I would love to put one of these things in my new upcoming build but I just can't justify paying so much for so little capacity. I think I will wait until the market saturates forcing prices down further.

I was wondering that myself. I was also wondering since they got into the SSD so late why are they not beating the others out there on speed read and writes.

Western Digital will likely carry over their current level of branding to their SSD's.

Blue=mainstream
Green=energy saver
Black=performance
RE=Raid Edition, Enterprise Class

I'm fairly confident they will at minimum carry over the Blue and Black branding. They might carry over the RE branding too at some point.

These drives are only the entry level SSD's. I would expect SiliconEdge Black SSD's in the near future.

I remember when the Vertex came out a year ago and everyone said "I'll wait six months until they're half the price they are now." Checking back a year later, it seems that SSD prices have pretty much stayed the same. Is the supply just not there yet, or what did I miss? What's it going to take to make SSD's affordable?

Western Digital will likely carry over their current level of branding to their SSD's.

Blue=mainstream
Green=energy saver
Black=performance
RE=Raid Edition, Enterprise Class

I'm fairly confident they will at minimum carry over the Blue and Black branding. They might carry over the RE branding too at some point.

These drives are only the entry level SSD's. I would expect SiliconEdge Black SSD's in the near future.

I'm not an SSD expert but don't a lot of the specs change / become irrelevant. Like SSD's in general are quiet and use low power which is what the green is supposed to do.

Of course they could just sell faster ones for more and call them black and the cheapest green or blue which will possibly happen.

And these current WD SSD's just seem overpriced to me and lacking performance. Not saying their shit just saying I expected more for less.

You couldn't make an SSD much more rugged unless you made it bulletproof or something..

I was fairly certain that I remember someone hitting one with a freakin baseball bat and then using it to boot a laptop up. I'd say that's fairly rugged. Or maybe that video was fake...hell I've slept since then. :(

I believe when they use the term rugged they are referring to the data ruggedness as opposed to the physical ruggedness of their drive. Meaning, it is likely to be far more reliable at keeping data and free from hanging/crashing.

I don't think any other SSD company out there today can say they have as much storage reliability testing as WD has. At least until Seagate comes out with an SSD.

Why would WD brand a 3.5" SSD 'Velociraptor' when the current velocipraptor is built on the enterprise 2.5" FF?
Because, the vast majority of Raptor users are Gamers, and would prefer a 3.5" SSD to we don't have to buy an adapter to mount it into our desktops.

No point making it 3.5 since the extra space would not be used.

Well generally when you make something bigger it's because you want to put more of something inside. Like ooohhh.... A larger PCB with more chips? And probably another PCB with another set of chips? or maybe even 2 more? You can pack a hell of a lot more storage and speed into a 3.5" form factor.

Hell, you could put two SATA connectors on it so it can run in RAID 0/1 with itself. :D

What is this operational lifespan listed on WD's website...70gb/day? really? so if your doing video encoding of files that large and larger this drive isnt for you?

Operational Lifespan
Read Unlimited
Write 70 GB/Day

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=789

It means if you write 70 GB/Day then WD will back the drive will last for the spec'ed 1,400,000 hours MTBF.

If you average over 70 GB/Day then it will last less long.

It means if you write 70 GB/Day then WD will back the drive will last for the spec'ed 1,400,000 hours MTBF.

If you average over 70 GB/Day then it will last less long.

gotcha..didnt seem possible that the writing would be limited lol

Back