WD Purple 3 TB or Seagate® 3TB ST300VN000 Server NAS Drive

Swagata

n00b
I want to buy a HDD; The choices are WD Purple 3 TB and Seagate® 3TB ST300VN000 Server NAS Drive. I want to use the drive for storage of music, videos, pictures, movies. I know these are server type drive but there aren't many drive available in where I live, Bangladesh. Which will be better ? Can I use these drive on Asrock B85 board ?

The choices are WD Purple 3 TB

I would not use that in anything other than a video surveillance appliance. It is designed to return errors quickly instead of retrying failed reads which can lead to corrupt files.

Last edited:
Don't buy either. Get HGST, Hitachi, or any WD other than Purple for your usage. If you don't have a backup, then definitely not a Seagate.

I have 4 of the 4 tb Seagate NAS drives. Zero failures with Seagate NAS running for over a year (I have a 25% failure rate with WD red). Note Seagate NAS drives are the only Seagate drives I will buy right now. Also the Newegg reviews for Seagate NAS are great too so I'm not the only one satisfied

I have 4 of the 4 tb Seagate NAS drives. Zero failures with Seagate NAS (had a failure with WD red). Note Seagate NAS drives are the only Seagate drives I will buy right now. Also the Newegg reviews for Seagate NAS are great too so I'm not the only one satisfied

Seagate employee spotted.

Never Seagate, not even the enterprise ones (when you can avoid it).

This survey is not perfect but it is the best info we have available: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/

My answer is basically the same as rive except that I also don't recommend WD Greens. Go HGST or Hitachi or WD Black, ideally.

I am sorry, but that study means almost nothing. Look at the source of their drives. What kind of drives are they? How are they using them?
You can't go out and buy the cheapest drives anywhere, including the external drives and throw them in a mass storage environment and expect them to perform. They weren't build for that and using that as a study does little to convince me.

I do understand where you are coming from, and I know you said it wasn't perfect, but I don't put much weight at all into that study.

I love WD service. Their RMA process is super easy and responsive. I have had more WD (Blacks, Blues, Reds, but oddly enough, never a Green) drives fail on me than any other, and I have bought fewer of them than I have Samsung (Pre-Seagate), or Seagate. I know the WD Pro's are out, and I haven't any experience with them. The previous Red's I had HORRID success with. The Seagate NAS, no issues at all.
Even our SAN's at work. Only drive failures we have had are WD drives.

Please don't take this as me being a WD hater or Seagate Fanboi, I just go with what seems to be the best quality for the budget at the time I have a need. This time around it was Seagate NAS (for me) compared to the WD Red's as the Hitachi was out of my budget for 8 x 3TB drives.

I agree with you about Hitachi. I believe the Hitachi are the best consumer NAS drives, and I have some of those (4TB NAS) too. Been great as well.

§

We've had tons of Seagate failures at work. I had bad luck with older WD drives. I own one currently, a Red, which hasn't failed yet, but I personally wouldn't buy Red again, either. Overall, I have had the best luck with Hitachi and Samsung drives, and would still be buying Samsung if they hadn't sold that division off.

I have 4 Seagate drives at home and I wish they were Hitachi. All 4 are young and so far so good. I regret buying them. I had been told by a few that they were better than Seagate used to be. They are not Barracuda, fortunately, but they are the last Seagate drives I buy, even if they manage to last a few years before they die. But the fortunate thing is that even though I picked relatively bad drives, they will still most likely last at least a few years.

Backblaze has lots of info in other blog posts as well. Before you want to insult them for your lack of actually looking through their site, feel free to provide better information.

Last edited:
We've had tons of Seagate failures at work. I had bad luck with older WD drives. I own one currently, a Red, which hasn't failed yet, but I personally wouldn't buy Red again, either. Overall, I have had the best luck with Hitachi and Samsung drives, and would still be buying Samsung if they hadn't sold that division off.

I have 4 Seagate drives at home and I wish they were Hitachi. All 4 are young and so far so good. I regret buying them. I had been told by a few that they were better than Seagate used to be. They are not Barracuda, fortunately, but they are the last Seagate drives I buy, even if they manage to last a few years before they die. But the fortunate thing is that even though I picked relatively bad drives, they will still most likely last at least a few years.

Backblaze has lots of info in other blog posts as well. Before you want to insult them for your lack of actually looking through their site, feel free to provide better information.

I am not sure I agree with Backblaze's assertions on the matter... as I have a few friends, who build systems/servers for many large companies, and they use various flavors for drive manufactures, including Seagate.

If you're looking for a NAS drive, you want the WDC *RED*.
NOT the WDC Purple.

The Purples are meant as storage for security systems. So the performance in high-read NAS is going to suck unwashed, syphilitic donkey balls.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, Seagate Constellation ES.x drives are just fine. We use piles, and I mean PILES of them at work. The failure rate is very low. I'm actually requesting spare usage levels from our service arm; but can tell you first hand that that out of the hundreds of ES.1 .2 .3 1TB & 2TB drives we have just in-house, that failures are very uncommon.

In the last SEVEN years, we've had <30 known failures of Seagate Constellation ES.x 1TB drives and 6 of the ES.x 2TB. In the case of the 1TB drives, the sample size would be at least 2,000 and the 2TB around 800-1,000. Mention "known" as occasionally our field techs have stashes of 1TB drives, so it's possible those numbers might be a few drives higher; if so it wouldn't be by much.

That said, even we avoid the 3TB drives like the plague. Oh, and will say I've seen a fairly high (so to speak) failure rate of WD/HTGS 4TB Enterprise class drives... enough to make me a little nervous.

Back