WD Is Now Shipping World’s First Helium-Filled 10TB PMR HDD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Helping the world harness the power of data, Western Digital Corporation, today announced that it is now shipping the world’s first 10TB perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) hard disk drive (HDD). As the first 10TB drop-in ready HDD, the HGST Ultrastar He10 HDD provides the highest capacity, lowest power consumption per TB and the highest reliability rating of all HDDs on the market. This is WDC’s third-generation helium drive, which defines the best enterprise-capacity hard drive in the industry.

The Ultrastar He10 HDD is the fundamental building block to address growing data needs. WDC expects its 10TB drives to be a key enabler of video, photo, business and other cloud-based applications, and will be a cornerstone for public and private cloud deployments moving forward. Essential for creating high-density storage solutions, the Ultrastar He10 offers a 25% increase in capacity over the previous generation and uses 56% fewer watts/TB than traditional air-filled HDDs, allowing data center architects to achieve new levels of eco-environmental efficiency. The Ultrastar He10 also continues HGST’s best-in-class reliability standards, offering a 2.5 million mean-time-between-failures rating as well as a five-year warranty. It is available to all enterprise customers as a bare drive, and will be available in HGST’s Active Archive System for customers that require a petabyte-scale object storage system.

Man, now if they would only tell us if they had WD or HGST's QC team on the project... lol

+1 for wanting one!

Nice to see increasing data density, and hopefully... Increased durability.

I've got 10 of the 8TB HGST helium drives. (2 for backup)
They are quite nice.

I know WD owns them, but frankly I'll be sticking with HGST.

lol

Pardon my ignorance, isn't helium really tough to keep sealed? How long before the gas leaks?

I would cry if one had a full failure. But yea I need a few at least 4 for raid . 30tb would hold be over till 4k blu ray gets big. Hell 30th might even hold me over on 4k blu ray.

No, Hitachi is shipping it. WD can't innovate for shit.

Yes I know HGST is owned by WD.

This would let me upgrade my servers data raid to 80TB :) (10 drives Raid 6 = 8x10TB)

Only problem I see is the backup. How many tapes and how long the backup would take. tape technology just isn't keeping up.

LTO-6 wouldn't be enough, as I'd need at least 16 tapes (5TB/tape with 2:1 compression)
Plus I'd have to upgrade to 10gb Ethernet as it would take too many days to backup over Gb Ethernet.

LTO-7 would take 7 tapes (12TB/tape with 2:1 compression) and it isn't even shipping yet.
LTO-8 is supposed to have 25TB/tape, so that would at least get it down to a reasonable 3 to 4 tapes. LTO-9 would get it down to 2 tapes, however, that's probably at least 5 years away.

These things have their use in business but I don't recommend them for home use for things like streaming music. All your MP3s sound like Alvin & The Chipmunks

"Our most reliable drives yet!"

So what, your 45% failure rate for WD Red's will become 40% failure rate for your helium's?

Back