WD Green 750GB $55.99 Shellshocker

Tbird87

Gawd
Shellshocker for this is over. Grats to anyone who found an use for them.

Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AADS 750GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136359

Seems like a nice price if you need some extra storage on the cheap. Don't blame me if you receive a DOA though ^_^.

EDIT: They changed their packaging for the better recently.

------
From 09-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Hello all,

I hope you're enjoying this fine afternoon.

I'd like to say thank you all for taking the time to post pictures and share your great, new experience(s) with the way we are starting to package up hard drives. We always had people here and there tell us that the packaging wasn't the greatest; however, we never had enough to where we needed to make this adjustment. As time went on and as Newegg grew bigger, we started to take notice into the smaller things, hard drive packaging being one of the bigger smaller issues. So, we tried out the packaging with a couple of the warehouses and so far it's been a great success. Still, not selling 100% defective free hard drives, we are making an attempt to lessen the amount of the returns.

If anyone ever has a bad experience with Newegg and would like it resolved ASAP, please notify me directly at [email protected].

Thank you all, and have a great day! :cool:

Last edited:
How do people like these drives? Any problems with them being only 5400rpm? Need a drive for extra storage. The price seems right.

How do people like these drives? Any problems with them being only 5400rpm? Need a drive for extra storage. The price seems right.

From what I seen the average read is at least above 65MB/sec which should be great for storage. They are probably faster than my old Maxtor 250gb I was using 6 months ago as my main drive :eek: . One of my friends,who is pretty crazy on his anime, bought a couple 1TB greens and hasn't had a problem related to performance. They are virtually silent.

Well I jumped on this and ordered two drives. Planning on running them in a Rosewill R2-RAID HD enclosure. I never setup a RAID array before but I figure this is an inexpensive way to get started since these drives on sale (plus there's currently a $30 off coupon code for the Rosewill and both deals have free shipping).

One thing I don't (yet) quite understand is on the "Product Tour" tab of the Rosewill where it states: "it connects to just about any operating system through a USB 2.0 connection. Combine that with the power of a built in RAID array controller and you have three potential hard drives working in tandem, backing up and checking each other so no errors are saved. Should a drive die, that drive’s information doesn’t need to die with it." The Rosewill only holds two drives so how is there a potential for three to be working in tandem? And hopefully this will work connected via eSATA as well :confused:

Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AADS 750GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136359

Seems like a nice price if you need some extra storage on the cheap. Don't blame me if you receive a DOA though ^_^.

EDIT: They changed their packaging for the better recently.

------
From 09-10-2009, 01:32 PM

What exactly is this new packaging? Are the drives finally coming in a solid foam insert? Are there peanuts? Is there bubble wrap?

They now package their hard drives wrapped in tight big bubble wraps, goes around a couple times, they even put it in a small box, and then put it in a bigger box with peanuts

They now package their hard drives wrapped in tight big bubble wraps, goes around a couple times, they even put it in a small box, and then put it in a bigger box with peanuts

This is to the Newegg reps. I know there must be some of you here!

Any packing solution that deviates from the manufacturer recommended shipping method is a FAIL. I will not buy disks packed against manufacturer guidelines no matter how cheap.

I've been ordering my HD's from the egg for years and they were always well packaged.

This is to the Newegg reps. I know there must be some of you here!

Any packing solution that deviates from the manufacturer recommended shipping method is a FAIL. I will not buy disks packed against manufacturer guidelines no matter how cheap.

In the last 10 years I must have ordered half a dozen of hard drives from teh egg and not one has ever failed. :)

In the last 10 years I must have ordered half a dozen of hard drives from teh egg and not one has ever failed. :)

I bet a lot has to do with location/how much it has to be handled to get to your house. I will try them again since the recent posts I've seen. I just got a little cautious since I've had 2 DOA in the last year or so for systems I was building for others. I'm just glad dealing with newegg is wonderful.

I owned two of the 500GB version of this drive. Both died within a couple months. Lost an ass load of data. These babies taught me to have at least two copies of everything, which sucks because it essentially doubles the price of storage.

Took a shot and bought 1. Almost bought 2. Picked up an external enclosure to go with it. 750Gb's of external storage goodness for under $80. Can't go wrong with that.

Wow, is six drives in 10 years really enough data regarding an issue to state anything?

That's like saying a broken watch is fine because it's right twice a day...

In for one. I was waiting for my paycheck to get a 1tb Samsung F3, but this is a better deal. This drive should be fine for capturing HDV, right?

In for one. I was waiting for my paycheck to get a 1tb Samsung F3, but this is a better deal. This drive should be fine for capturing HDV, right?

yeah i think theyre faster then a lot of older 120gb 7k drives and such... man i would buy this but i really need 1tb or larger. ive seen 1.5 drives go for $99 too...

Isn't 1TB for $79.99 and free shipping a better deal? 12.5 cents per gig. Newegg has like 3 or 4 different 1TB drives at that price point.
750GB for 55.99 = 13.4 cents per gig.

Isn't 1TB for $79.99 and free shipping a better deal? 12.5 cents per gig. Newegg has like 3 or 4 different 1TB drives at that price point.
750GB for 55.99 = 13.4 cents per gig.

750gb for 55.99 = 7.46 cents
1TB for 80 = 8 cents

I agree with getting a single drive > multiple if you need that much space. If you just need some extra storage, spending $56 is easier than spending $97 on a 1.5TB. The value of the deal just depends on the situation. It's not like they use up a lot of power or create a ton of heat either. They are pretty efficient idlers. I don't want it too look like I'm just promoting these because I started the thread or bought one(which I didn't). Just stating some other views.

Last edited:
750gb for 55.99 = 7.46 cents
1TB for 80 = 8 cents

I agree with getting a single drive > multiple if you need that much space. If you just need some extra storage, spending $56 is easier than spending $90 on a 1.5TB. The value of the deal just depends on the situation. It's not like they use up a lot of power or create a ton of heat either. They are pretty efficient idlers. I don't want it too look like I'm just promoting these because I started the thread or bought one(which I didn't). Just stating some other views.

well explained. completely depends on your situation, but in any case this deal is not a ripoff

bought one. funny, because dad's stepdaughter's pc wouldnt boot today. bios said "harddrive failure imminent" so, naturally, i thought of this deal. sure, its not the most ideal OS drive, but for the price im sure she will be very happy with it. i dont think the speed will be a great concern, at least i hope not.

I have rcvd 2 HDDs from NE recently. Both (laptop & 3.5") came wrapped in bubblewrap, inside a box filled with peanuts. I've never rcvd a bad HDD from NE though - maybe they love me? Feeling is mutual.

In for one!

Gonna pair it with an external enclosure since my laptop only has 120 gb

I love how newegg messes with prices depending on how popular an item is.

$69.99
Free Shipping*

Back