WD Easystore External Discussion

Well, the lowest they were was $159... right? And that wasn't frequent either. I'd be buying them now. Or trying to get an online store to price match BB so that you could avoid sales tax.
AFAIK, these are exclusive to BBY, so no price matching.

This product is a Best Buy exclusive though, so I doubt any store would price match their 8TB WD Reds.

B&H collects taxes in NY as well as NJ (as of 2/2017 for NJ).

4 more days of writing to the disks and they will both be finished testing! Well one just has 20 more hours, the other one has 4+ days remaining.

this is taking too long. I stopped the process as the one disk that is writing faster is at 51c, and the other is at 49c I can't imagine this test was good for the disks.

I'll have to find another way to test them :(

Last edited:
did you test via USB 2.0/3.0 or SATA

USB? 3.0/SATA should take 2 days give or take for 2 full read/writes

did you test via USB 2.0/3.0 or SATA

USB? 3.0/SATA should take 2 days give or take for 2 full read/writes

Testing with USB3, the options are only for 1 or 3 full writes, I choose 3 and it was taking too long. Not sure why one drive said 4+ days though. I'm just going to scan them with stablebits and call them good, since the scanner is already paid for and running on my storage pool in my server anyways.

It seems like it can only scan one disk at a time though, so it will probably be several days until I can remove them from their cases and add them to the storage pool. If it takes too much longer (it's going real slow) I might just install them into the pool.

What do you guys do with the enclosures?

I'm going to keep the enclosure in the retail packaging just in case for warranty reasons. I assume that if I ever needed to RMA the sucker it would have to go back in the enclosure and look like I never tore the thing apart.

4 more days of writing to the disks and they will both be finished testing! Well one just has 20 more hours, the other one has 4+ days remaining.

this is taking too long. I stopped the process as the one disk that is writing faster is at 51c, and the other is at 49c I can't imagine this test was good for the disks.

I'll have to find another way to test them :(

I snagged one and im running it stock in the enclosure. Its reporting 49C basically idle, though it is getting hot air blown on it (not directly but nearby) from my 1080 Ti Founders mining Ethereum 24/7. Temp seems a bit high but im not gonna worry about it, datasheet says operating temp up to 65C. Curious if a standard market purchased 8tb Red also runs hot or not.

Oh man. I splurged on one of these. Just the other day I was deciding "What games do I don't need.." Deciding to uninstall a game was really painful for me.

Now I can install them all!

I snagged one and im running it stock in the enclosure. Its reporting 49C basically idle, though it is getting hot air blown on it (not directly but nearby) from my 1080 Ti Founders mining Ethereum 24/7. Temp seems a bit high but im not gonna worry about it, datasheet says operating temp up to 65C. Curious if a standard market purchased 8tb Red also runs hot or not.

I ended up putting a case fan in back of my 2 during the (week?) of badblocks testing because of the reported temps.

mine are 49 idle and 53c while scanning... And they are still scanning lol I don't think this is ever going to be done scanning.

Since the subject of cooling came up... I'm planning a new build in the Thermaltake Core X2 case. Going to replace the front intake fans with a single 200mm for wider coverage. 120mm rear exhaust and 3x120mm pulling through the radiator on the left side. The case has 4 bays for 3.5" drives - 2 on the left side by the radiator which are coming out and 2 on the right side above the PSU. Would it be a good idea to flip the PSU with the fan facing up to pull air over two of these HDDs? There is very little space between the PSU and the HDD bracket so I don't know if it would provide enough air flow to the drives to make a difference or if it would starve the PSU. Any thoughts?

My RAID controller sets off alarms when the drives get above 50c. That said I keep the drives in the array around 35 as the goal. Externals are a different animal and they have short and hot lives.

Give it a few days to a week or so, it will go on sale again.

These are drawing people into the store like flies to honey so BB will keep doing it.

yeah i keep meaning to check but working grave yard shift makes it a pain in the arse to get the energy to bother going over there.. one day i'll do it but i'll be surprised if they actually carry them here, where i live isn't really known for being computer savvy..

yeah i keep meaning to check but working grave yard shift makes it a pain in the arse to get the energy to bother going over there.. one day i'll do it but i'll be surprised if they actually carry them here, where i live isn't really known for being computer savvy..
You can check and order online, and it will let you know if you have the option to instore pickup (same day if available in stock). Don't actually have to drive there to check.

Well, I totally passed up on getting any. I added some to my cart, then got a prompt that they limit two per customer. I didn't want to bother with trying multiple orders or anything right now, so, I'll just wait. I might just wait until black Friday to see what drives are all on sale and go from there.

I have the same question.
Did you guys buy a license, or is the free trial sufficient?
i bought the 5 key thing for like 50 or 75 bucks it gives a lot of extra features and is super handy and a life time key

the dev also emails paying customers in like 24 hours. Really great customer support. I was like the first person to report 950PRO and he patched it very quickly IIRC

I use it to track all my PCs HDDs and it was a super awesome windows gadget
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxbx93ut4htz31i/hd sentinel windows gadget.png?dl=0

I just do the 2x read write destruction test on my drives. Even doing that my Toshiba 6TB starting showing issues a month later. after passing....just a crap drive. 3TB have been pretty solid. Only 1 after a whole year has any sign of relocations but still is running just fine.

Last edited:
Did any of you pick up the free Shutterfly book coupon that came with this external HD deal, and have no plans to use it? Could you private message me the code. Would be appreciated.

Did any of you pick up the free Shutterfly book coupon that came with this external HD deal, and have no plans to use it? Could you private message me the code. Would be appreciated.

did they email it or did I have to claim it? I can check

good prices for 8tb.
I am glad that I do no need this much storage space yet. It takes too long to do disk scan and backup.

Anyone know how often the prices drop to 169-179? Just wondering because I am needing to get 9-12 of them.

I am going to list a few things here about what I have gathered on these drives.
1. There are 3 potential drives you can get wd80efzx China labeled 128mb cache
Wd80efax Thailand made 256mb cache
Wd80ezzx blue/purple relabeled red
2. The one you want to get is the wd80efax made in Thailand as it is a relabeled Helium drive.
3. My contact at western digital has no idea what the wd80efax model is as it does not show up for him. (He is a factory worker for hgst in Thailand.) He believes it is a wd100efax that did not pass qc and are firmware changed and mapped 8tb rather than 10tb

Also he is super jealous of the prices we pay as any of these drives are double or triple the cost for him and he can drive 10 miles down the road to his job and get them hot out of the clean room.

Last edited:
I have ten of these in a QNAP TS-1635 NAS unit. I've had all of them for 3.5 months now and everything has been great.

All of a sudden my NAS unit is now running the fans much faster to try and keep the drives below 50C. It never did that before and it seems now all of the drives are running hotter and the NAS is always running the fans faster now.

Has anyone else noticed the temp of their drives jumps after ~3 months???

Well I haven't had them that long yet but I do notice these drives always run much hotter than my other drives. They idle at around 39c-41c when my ambient is around 80F (about 26c) or so and around 36c-38c if my room temps are around 75F. All my other drives idle around 35c or lower.

Mine 5 are running between 93.2-107.6F (34-42C) currently.
My various-size Seagates are running between 87.8-96.8F (31-36C)

But they are in IcyDock 4-in-3 hot-swap cages with 120mm fans in front of them and ambient room temp is around 70F (20C.)

Back