WD Easystore External Discussion

Are these 8 TB drives basically the same in terms of the HDD that's inside?

There's a Seagate at about the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Exte...rd_wg=5t82P&psc=1&refRID=65MXBZZ7JCXC7RMAX8M8

I at some point had plenty of time to order one of these WD's but for some reason I can't really get myself to pull the trigger. It's not a bad deal, just feel like I've been spending too much.

Edit: Nevermind, those seagates are Archive drives with crap write speeds.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ordered 2 and finally installed my 5 drive hotswap bay in my PC for my eventual Plex box when I build my new PC. I'll buy some more when it drops again, need 3 more and at least 2 SSD cache drives.

Are these 8 TB drives basically the same in terms of the HDD that's inside?

There's a Seagate at about the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Exte...rd_wg=5t82P&psc=1&refRID=65MXBZZ7JCXC7RMAX8M8

I at some point had plenty of time to order one of these WD's but for some reason I can't really get myself to pull the trigger. It's not a bad deal, just feel like I've been spending too much.

Edit: Nevermind, those seagates are Archive drives with crap write speeds.

People get this specific WD drive because they have WD Reds in them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just ordered 2.

Will definitely use 1 to consolidate my 3x 2TB Greens and then sell those on eBay to offset the cost some; may end up returning the 2nd but who knows.

Would love to grab more and a Synology to stick them in but that'd destroy my wallet...

Already bought 6 and pondered 3 more today. I think I have a problem.

Initially I was buying 3.. One for a new local media drive, two to replace 4TB enterprise drives in a My Book Pro.

Then I decided heck with the My Book Pro, will grab 3 more for a 5 bay Synology I don't own yet. NAS arrives tomorrow but went with an 1817+ instead. An extra $150 to add 3 more bays? No brainer. The drives will get cheap eventually.

yeha i ordered two yesterday and ordered 2 more today to move my qnap 4 bay nas over to these. And to get away from my crappy 3tb seagate drives

Based on my experience with reds at work I would not buy them for that reason. Good thing these reds are made with HGST technology.

They aren't made-with HGST. They are HGST. The only thing WD provides is a red marketing sticker.

I just got mine, just want to comment on how crappy they were packed with almost no packing material, practically loose in the box.

And part 2 of the fun, the 8TB WD Red that comes in the external drive does not fit in my SilverStone FS305B hotswap bay (the SATA port is about 1mm to low)...but I guess I can confirm they are 8TB Reds.

I'd love to snag 4-5 of these to replace the 4TB drives in my Synology. This is a good deal but I hate to drop that much cash when I'm only utilizing about 75% of my current RAID storage and not adding much to it these days (I'm on the right side of the law! :D). Still, maybe if my laptop sells I'll consider it...I wouldn't have to worry about adding more storage for a LONG time.

Tracking says that mine shipped this evening @ 8:30 PM but scheduled delivery is still tomorrow. Good thing the shipping location is only about 95 miles away..

Came in this morning, just had time to bust them out.

RXFL0XFh.jpg

Looks like the interface is specifically designed to make it incompatible with hot-swap configurations (slightly off from standard), manual install or plugs it is then!

Looks like the interface is specifically designed to make it incompatible with hot-swap configurations (slightly off from standard), manual install or plugs it is then!

...these are NAS drives, that is exactly their point.

got mine yesterday, been doing tests before cracking it open

Interesting. I plan to run them as externals till at least the warranty expires. However I did plan to use them in hot swaps years from now..

got mine yesterday, been doing tests before cracking it open

I started badblocks a few hours ago. Looks like it will still be going next week when I return to work after the holiday.

Code:
Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
From block 0 to 1953506559
Testing with pattern 0xaa:  33.85% done, 4:19:18 elapsed. (0/0/0 errors)

This is 33% of 1 pass. it takes 8 total passes (4 write / 4 read).

Hmm: They are running at 59C

194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 101 101 000 Old_age Always - 59 (Min/Max 22/59)

I just added a 80mm case fan behind the drives.. Lets see if the temps go down a bit..

Seems to be helping:
Code:
user@debian:~$ sudo smartctl --all -d sat /dev/sdb | grep 194
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   105   105   000    Old_age   Always       -       57 (Min/Max 22/59)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   107   107   000    Old_age   Always       -       56 (Min/Max 22/59)

Looks like they settling on 55C:
Code:
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   109   109   000    Old_age   Always       -       55 (Min/Max 22/59)
user@debian:~$ sudo smartctl --all -d sat /dev/sdc | grep 194
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   109   109   000    Old_age   Always       -       55 (Min/Max 23/59)

Last edited:

Don't know what the hell you are talking about. These are standard SATA hard drives once you shuck it.

The are "standard" SATA connectors, but they are off by about 1mm on the drive from other HDD and even older WD drives which means they have issues with hotswap bays. After I get down transfering all these files I'll post some pictures.

The are "standard" SATA connectors, but they are off by about 1mm on the drive from other HDD and even older WD drives which means they have issues with hotswap bays. After I get down transfering all these files I'll post some pictures.

It must be whatever special case you are using because they fit fine in my hotswap bats of my Norco 4020 and my Poweredge 410/710 servers.

I've got the Cosmos by CoolerMaster, and I decided to play with it a bit.. I basically spent the better part of 5 minutes trying to twist/tilt it so the back/right end was up as high as possible, and it finally slipped in. I could feel the difference when it didn't hit wrong... now its installing :)

Back