WD Easystore External Discussion

Same for me..
We're sorry. This item is not available for pickup within 250 miles of 15108.

I got the last one within 250 miles of me. Tried for 2, but got a sold out message and it cleared my cart. Had to go back through and snag the one.

You guys buy 3 or 6 or 9 or 42 of them and then wonder why they're sold out. SMH.

((Thanks for saving me one!))

Last edited:
Who has one? How quiet are they? Hoping to use one in its enclosure as an attached disk for the HTPC NUC I have.

Who has one? How quiet are they? Hoping to use one in its enclosure as an attached disk for the HTPC NUC I have.
They're quiet enough and don't run warm (the 7200rpm Ultrastar He8 got a little warm-ish without active cooling).
Torture tested them in BlackXs for the better part of a week straight - no problems.

They're quiet enough and don't run warm (the 7200rpm Ultrastar He8 got a little warm-ish without active cooling).
Torture tested them in BlackXs for the better part of a week straight - no problems.
i'm buying one then, thanks.

Managed to get 4 across two orders.

Now, RAID 5 or RAID 0+1? These will mainly be used for media storage.

Backordered until May 22nd, but I'm on business until the end of the month at the least (going to have my brother check them for me)

I grabbed a couple of the 8TBs, but I'm just waiting for the 4TB ones to go back on sale for $90.

I'm curious of people's thoughts, but what are the chances of WD/BB pulling a Kingston with the easystore line--building hype around this version with the Red drives inside, before switching the internal drive over to a "lesser" drive (i.e. the "Blue") in later batches?

I grabbed a couple of the 8TBs, but I'm just waiting for the 4TB ones to go back on sale for $90.

I'm curious of people's thoughts, but what are the chances of WD/BB pulling a Kingston with the easystore line--building hype around this version with the Red drives inside, before switching the internal drive over to a "lesser" drive (i.e. the "Blue") in later batches?
Is there any chance they are just phasing that model out?

It's not really a Kingston-esque move since the only external drives guaranteed to have WD Reds are the MyCloud and MyBook Duos.

AFAIK, you'll only get :

1) Actual HGST Ultrastar He8 (very early days of the 8TB WD externals - all models)
2) White-label 5400rpm Ultrastar He8 (so-called Green/Blue)
3) WD Red labelled 5400rpm Ultrastar He8

I doubt it. It appears this product line (easystore) just came out about a month ago. I picked up one of those 4TB drives when they were $90, thinking it was just sort of an introductory sale price (and I only picked up 1, since my local store only had 1, and I happened to have a $85 reward certificate that was going to expire). Hindsight suggests I should have grabbed another one now that they're back up to $120.

I realize it's not quite the same, since the Kingston SSD's performance and quality was directly affected, but it was more just the general thought of them changing the internals to a not-as-desirable version after everyone discovered that the early models had "good" internals. In the external, they're going to perform basically the same. I was just thinking to the future about whether later batches are going to drop back to the non-Red labeled drives.

Two of the drives I ordered yesterday already shipped and a third is preparing. Both shipped by the Surepost nonsense so glad I have My Choice to do the auto upgrade.

Edit: All 3 have shipped now, despite me getting an e-mail about a delay.

Last edited:
Success.
8Wqg68j.jpg

Just noticed that all 3 of mine shipped from different locations.. Indiana, Minnesota, and North Carolina are represented.. Strange.

I just ordered a couple of the $191 versions on Amazon....had to use 2 different accounts to do it. Guess I could have waited for the cheaper ones on the 18th...but it's done now. I guess I could have bought it from BBY for 4 bucks more, but Amazon has 1 day delivery with prime, and I can wait a day...or even 3.

I just ordered a couple of the $191 versions on Amazon....had to use 2 different accounts to do it. Guess I could have waited for the cheaper ones on the 18th...but it's done now. I guess I could have bought it from BBY for 4 bucks more, but Amazon has 1 day delivery with prime, and I can wait a day...or even 3.

I thought it was generally accepted that it contained a lesser drive.

Got my first one today and can confirm it's WD80EFZX as expected (from BB).

Last edited:
My online order originally said backordered until 5/22 but it shipped yesterday, arriving tomorrow.

Thanks OP!

Got one from Amazon today, WD mybook 8TB series in the green and white box. Price $183. Inside the enclosure the drive is a white label WD80EZZX. Mfg in Netherlend / Thailand according to white label October 2016. So, if you're only looking for reds, go best buy. But if these are actually HGST, they should be fine as well.

Last edited:
Got one from Amazon today, WD mybook 8TB series in the green and white box. Price $183. Inside the enclosure the drive is a white label WD80EZZX. Mfg in Netherlenda, October 2016. So, if you're only looking for reds, go best buy.

I think you mean 'Blue' rather than 'Green' drive as the "EZ" nomenclature indicates a 'Blue' drive.

I thought it was generally accepted that it contained a lesser drive.

Got my first one today and can confirm it's WD80EFZX as expected (from BB).
From what someone else posted and what I've seen elsewhere (including, but not limited to a thread on reddit, it appears they're the same, other than firmware and although I haven't tried it, I believe you can turn on TLER on the ezzx (if needed). Can't recall if there's a difference between default idle park or not. That said, copying a 4TB drive to it is taking forever (using a startech disk dupe...starting to think that's slower, not faster). After that have to copy another drive onto it. May order more from BBY then sell my old (though likely under warranty) seagates (which despite what all say have worked flawlessly for 1-3 years (got 3 of them)

Back