WD Easystore 14TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - $200

I suspect WD has a surplus of these drives because Seagate has a 16TB model and WD doesn't. Data centers prefer the highest capacity.

Anyone know what kind of drive is inside? I was needing a new hard drive for plex.

Yup, two years ago I picked up 8x 8tbs at $160 a pop. This is pretty crazy, great price point. Personally I think $180 for 16tb is my breaking point, I'll get 8x to replace my array of 4tb disks.

You can do google shopping for another $20 first order. But not available for the 14TB unfortunately. Only the 8 and 12.

You can do google shopping for another $20 first order. But not available for the 14TB unfortunately. Only the 8 and 12.
Interesting. Someone on the sth forum seems to have used it for the 14TB, but you can only do one.

Anyone know what kind of drive is inside? I was needing a new hard drive for plex.
Been known for a while that these are white label rebadges of the reds. When I was getting my 8tbs in mid 2017, they were still full fledged red labels, but now all that's changed is the color of the sticker. These are exactly what you want for Plex, it's what I use. Just make sure you keep the Plex Media Server data folder on an ssd, the libraries and transcode directories can be on spinners.

Man 14tb is pretty sweet, but kind of kills it for my little setup with snapraid where the parity has to be as big as the largest drive. I would have to buy two :eek: (wish I could wife would kill me)

Man 14tb is pretty sweet, but kind of kills it for my little setup with snapraid where the parity has to be as big as the largest drive. I would have to buy two :eek: (wish I could wife would kill me)
You could just use it to back up the entire snapraid. ;)

Ahh yes, interesting read! I guess I haven't looked into it for a while, and I had figured they were exactly like this, just slightly slower for some reason or another. As the summary there pointed out, I have to agree that the cost savings far outweigh the small performance hit you take here.
Yeah, the price point is really what drives these. I got some 14TB enterprise 7200 rpm 5yr warranty drives earlier this year for $303/ea in the CDW outlet and over $100 off I didn't expect almost anything to beat that in 2019--this definitely was a surprise--especially considering that the cheapest price on the enterprise versions is still 2x this deal. :eek:

I bit at $199...I have 3 of the 10TB ones and they all work great after being shucked and thrown in my file server.

Yep, definitely look like the same design as the 14TB I had. Looks like they're helium too. Very interesting that the label still says 'Internal Use'. :ROFLMAO:

What's even more interesting is that it seems the serial number for the drive and the external enclosure is the same, and allows shucked drives to be sent back for warranty with issue as some people have done on reddit.

Any experience here with warranty?

Last edited:
Yup, two years ago I picked up 8x 8tbs at $160 a pop. This is pretty crazy, great price point. Personally I think $180 for 16tb is my breaking point, I'll get 8x to replace my array of 4tb disks.
I'm just going to wait till I run out of storage. When that happens, then I'll buy the best bang for the buck to replace them. I'd have a hard time justifying replacing drives that are still under warranty, no matter the price.

Like youI figured I'd replace them with 16TB drives, but I'm now thinking the drives will be larger by the time I need more storage.

I'm just going to wait till I run out of storage. When that happens, then I'll buy the best bang for the buck to replace them. I'd have a hard time justifying replacing drives that are still under warranty, no matter the price.

Like youI figured I'd replace them with 16TB drives, but I'm now thinking the drives will be larger by the time I need more storage.
Yeah at my current rate of consumption I should have another two years before I run out of space, but I'm considering getting a 4k projector which would significantly increase my rate of data usage. I've still got 30TB of space free between my arrays right now, out of a total of 66TB. Funny how you watch something like this, when you're perfectly fine where you are.

I can only imagine where the sizes will get to in 2 years. I think 4TB ssds will be normal, so regular drives will definitely have to be at least 20TB/ea. And then WD will have an external for $200 on BF. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah at my current rate of consumption I should have another two years before I run out of space, but I'm considering getting a 4k projector which would significantly increase my rate of data usage. I've still got 30TB of space free between my arrays right now, out of a total of 66TB. Funny how you watch something like this, when you're perfectly fine where you are.
I guess it depends how many 4K flix you intend to get in the next few years. I've got more than 50 (but not sure of the exact count) and it's only ~5TB of space, so I figure it'll take at least 2 years to fill it up even with 4k disks....now if they were to go to 8k ;)

I can only imagine where the sizes will get to in 2 years. I think 4TB ssds will be normal, so regular drives will definitely have to be at least 20TB/ea. And then WD will have an external for $200 on BF. :ROFLMAO:
I suspect by the time I run out of space, I'll be able to fit my entire nas on 2 drives (or less), not counting parity.

I suspect by the time I run out of space, I'll be able to fit my entire nas on 2 drives (or less), not counting parity.
That's always the challenge--for the drives to outpace your storage requirements. Right now I think everything we have will fit on a 14tb, but they're all in 2tb chunks so I have a lot of those drives.

I resisted temptation when this was on sale, now I am desperate for a large HD. Any ideas when this will go on sale again?
Thanks

Me to somewhat.. lol have the 12TB one but what i'd really love to do is get most or all of my storage in SSD or m.2 eventually. (Still have decent space left but will be full within a year or two at most)
Prices are dropping on SSD/M.2's but will be a few years till prices are what i'd like. :woot:

I resisted temptation when this was on sale, now I am desperate for a large HD. Any ideas when this will go on sale again?
Thanks
Their fiscal year ends on the 31st, so it'd make some sense for it to happen this week (which would give them a full week to juice sales), but next Sunday would give them almost a full week to do the same.

With that said, there are currently none of those drives in stock at any store with 150 miles of me (about 30 stores total). Maybe they pulled them off shelves, so they'd have stock, but I've seen them pull stock for a sale (see the Iron Man 4k Steel book, which was sold out one day and the next day it was widely available and on sale for 15 bucks..

Bottom line, check their website tomorrow at Midnight Pacific and again next sunday. Might check in between, just in case they do a mid week special, but def check on sunday.

There seemed to be an easystore on sale at least every quarter last year, and I think we'll see the same this year as well.

There seemed to be an easystore on sale at least every quarter last year, and I think we'll see the same this year as well.
Hope so. Looking for these to hit again soon.

I need like...24. I will need to break that purchase up into a few bites, though.

Really, I would probably be ok with 12's at the same price per tb.

Hope so. Looking for these to hit again soon.

I need like...24. I will need to break that purchase up into a few bites, though.

Really, I would probably be ok with 12's at the same price per tb.
That's smart to do, and I would even break up the volumes since they always seem to be a different drive size--8/10/12/14TB. This way, you can just build a volume with all those drives and then make a new volume with the new drives and either copy over or swap out or whatever.

I think the price per TB will be steady at this level as they keep hitting this same level for the most part.

You can make the 14TB the parity and turn the old parity into a data disc. I did this, 8 -->10/12. I finally flashed my HBA and bought a 14 tb last month, now running dual parity with a 12TB and a 14TB.

I might buy another 14 and turn the current 12TB parity into a data disc.

Or if you don't want to do that you could use snapraid's split parity feature.

SnapRAID v11 adds a sweet new feature, split parity. In the past, adding larger data disk always came with the issue of needing parity disks as large or larger than your data disks. For example, let’s say you add an array made up of (4) 4TB data disks and (1) 4TB parity disk. What if you want to buy one of those 6 or 8TB disks to use in your array? In the past, you could have either chosing to use the new larger disk as your new parity disk, or risk having part of your new disk not protected. With split parity, you could use the new 8TB disk as a data disk and then use (2) of your old 4TB disks, joined together as one complete set of parity (or, you could create parity in this scenario with (4) 2TB disks or even (8) 1TB disks). Pretty neat!
https://zackreed.me/snapraid-split-parity-sync-script/

Last edited:
I nabbed two when I saw it on slickdeals yesterday. Got delivered today, gonna run a error scan search which will probably take 2 days or so to ensure the drives are perfect before I shuck them, I'll post what they are inside when I do so. But yea, been waiting for the prices to drop for a while now....needed a couple more high capacity drives. One specifically to send back my barracuda pro that is showing smart caution on error reallocation. Always tell myself never to buy seagate, but couldn't pass up the deal I got for this barracuda pro for the price...Here we are, newest drive is my barracuda, and it's showing smart errors, where my hitachi, and hitachi made WD drives are still going strong YEARS before I even powered on this seagate....*sigh*. /rant off

This is a decent deal but about the same to what I paid two years ago.

Watch for promo deals with PlexPass (here is an old one as an example https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/dlizt0/plex_pass_20_off_at_the_western_digital_store_how )

1635807240787.png

Back