WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB Internal SSD $179.99

I have been scoping for deals on these, trying to pick up another 6, lol. (Well, the m.2 version of the 2tb drive)

It gets the job done, but you need to be careful about which one you get. IIRC, WD was doing some shennanigans with their m.2 blue SSD (though that may have been when they introduced an nvme blue), gimping them with a poor cache layout and whatnot.

They worked well for my setup, which was driven by a "how small can we possibly make this NAS" primary goal, and they have been cranking along just fine in Z2 / without dropouts or issues.

It gets the job done, but you need to be careful about which one you get. IIRC, WD was doing some shennanigans with their m.2 blue SSD, gimping them with a poor cache layout and whatnot.

They worked well for my setup, which was driven by a "how small can we possibly make this NAS" primary goal, and they have been cranking along just fine in Z2 / without dropouts or issues.
That's interesting -- I was also just reading that the read speeds are oddly as low as regular ssds. Am I reading this right? "Read Speeds up to 560MB/s and Sequential Write Speeds up to 530MB/s."

I was looking at buying this totally unnecessary RGB m.2 not too long ago and the r/w speeds are up to 3500/3000MB/s

I always thought the main reason to buy the m.2 is because the r/w speeds are way higher than the regular ssds.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I always thought the main reason to buy the m.2 is because the r/w speeds are way higher than the regular ssds.

m.2 is a form factor like 3.5" or 2.5". There are still SATA drives and any ~500MB/s is one. You want an NVME m.2 if you want speed. Or any other form factor of NVME that works for your setup as there are many, most are for servers though.

The main reason for m.2 is to fit inside thin laptops.

On the enterprise side there are a few other form factors for NVMe drives.

m.2 is a form factor like 3.5" or 2.5". There are still SATA drives and any ~500MB/s is one. You want an NVME m.2 if you want speed. Or any other form factor of NVME that works for your setup as there are many, most are for servers though.
Will it be a significant difference in speed with the NVME? I'm just staring at the 500 mb/s and the 3000 mb/s will I actually notice that when booting up my PC and loading games?

Will it be a significant difference in speed with the NVME?

In just gaming probably not noticeable most of the time. However that will be dependent on the actual game.

Will it be a significant difference in speed with the NVME? I'm just staring at the 500 mb/s and the 3000 mb/s will I actually notice that when booting up my PC and loading games?
Not really with day to day uses. Games will load slightly faster. In the near future it might make a significant difference with the new console using fast nvme storage.

I currently have a 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD for my OS and a 1tb Samsung 860 ssd for other games...
I've been wanting to do a clean install and upgrade my main drive to something larger and if possible faster.
Is this deal worth it or should I just wait until it's <150 for a 2TB SSD?

I currently have a 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD for my OS and a 1tb Samsung 860 ssd for other games...
I've been wanting to do a clean install and upgrade my main drive to something larger and if possible faster.
Is this deal worth it or should I just wait until it's <150 for a 2TB SSD?
SSD prices continue to fall--it's all a matter of what you want to do and how soon. :)

I have the 1TB version I picked up at Walmart like 4 months ago Samsung Magican detects it as a San Disk ssd.

Untitled-2.jpg

Unless someone took it apart and returned the thing or SanDisk actually makes the WD SSDs they look similar on the outside.

Back