WD Black 1TB (Old) Lots of clicking

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm deaf, and all of my roommates are deaf as well. (Or hard of hearing but he's never home) The reason why I'm posting here is because I noticed my desk having these sharp vibrations and I thought it was my phone, until I traced it and found out that it was coming from my only platter drive (main is a 128 M4 SSD). I haven't noticed any slow downs in loading times for any of my games, but I'm wondering if I should back up some of my things.. because this is my storage/games HDD. I watch the HDD light flashing and it synchronizes with the crazy clicking that I feel on my HDD. I'm wondering if this is a sign that it's about to buy the farm? Because I recall it being quiet and not clacky when I first got it ~3 years ago. P.S. the statement about me being deaf is I can't hear the arm (actuator) and be able to identify that it's going bad...

Look at the SMART raw data with a program like CrystalDiskInfo. This will tell you if the drive detects that it is operating abnormally.

Whenever any of my WD drives click (normally after years of usage) I RMA them, and get a fresh drive from WD.

I'd backup your data, erase the data, and then RMA it before it completely dies and you lost it.

Guess I'll try that I get home tonight. I just got to work so I won't be home till 11PM. Is CrystalDiskInfo that good? Yeah, I still need to buy a new drive anyway because I feel that time is almost up for my current drive.And I should probably separate the ~400GB worth of Steam games from the actual storage and put them on different drives.

I'd say SMART information is a good first place to look for issues with the drive, and crystaldiskinfo is a good and easy to use interpreter for that information.

Who cares what those software packages tell you ?

Seriously.

If it's clicking and you can feel the vibrations RMA it, why wouldn't you do that ?

These drives have a 5 year warranty!

WD RMA process is super-easy, and shipping is around $6.

If it's clicking and you can feel the vibrations RMA it, why wouldn't you do that ?

To see if the clicking is indeed a real problem and not caused by OS drive activity. Also if you RMA a perfectly working drive the refurbished drive you get back could certainly be in worse condition than the one you sent them.

Although with WDC you may sometimes get lucky. What I mean by that is if they have no refurbished drives available when they receive a RMA they will send you a new drive.

Run the WD diagnostic tool. If that reports errors RMA the drive. I once received a 2TB drive for my 1.5TB RMA. If the drive is really that loud I would RMA it.

It always a good idea to back up your data anyway. By the time you notice the slowdown of a bad drive it may be too late.

Both the WD Diagnostic tool and CrystalDiskInfo says that my HD is just fine as rain...

Created a RMA request with WD, and with Seagate for the 3TB HD that I forgot I had in the closet (which had really crippled performance and clicks as well).

Both the WD Diagnostic tool and CrystalDiskInfo says that my HD is just fine as rain...

Clicking is not necessarily a problem, particularly since WD Black drives are performance models (ie: not designed to be quiet like a Green). The problem is if the system seizes up for a second when it clicks or causes system slowdowns.

If you haven't already done so, you'll want to run the full test (~8-10hrs) on it before you RMA it. Also check your Event Viewer: System log for ftdisk or disk errors.

I had to advance RMA a first-generation WD 2TB Black last month due to constant bad sectors (wrote a copy/read script, the SMART bad sector counter kept going up after each cycle), and although I got a nice, new second-generation 2TB Black as a replacement, I wouldn't suggest an RMA unless it really isn't working since you usually end up getting refurbished disks which could be in worse condition.

Created a RMA request with WD, and with Seagate for the 3TB HD that I forgot I had in the closet (which had really crippled performance and clicks as well).

Firmware update for Seagate 3TB load cycle clicking:
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223651en

Back