WD Black 1tb 11yr replacement

comdoc

n00b
I'm getting Win7 OS errors and gradual slowing. Is the drive failing? I need reliable replacement. HGST has best current fail record. Where can I find the best value on a new WD/HGST drive? Open to an SSD, but my mb is Sabertooth X58 with old PCIe 2.0 slot. Which SSD would be easiest to install? My uses are surfing and video streaming, no large file transfers, personal desktop.

I ran a program called Hard Disk Sentinel, and it reports the old drive is perfect. ? Maybe replacement not needed. But what is causing all the Windows errors and slowing (8-10 minutes to boot)? No virus found by AVAST, and Malwarebytes finds nothing.

Last edited:
Just get a SATA SSD. It'll be lightning quick compared to what you had before and happily work on your old mobo.

If 1TB is still an acceptable size, then I can recommend the Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD (like this one). If you want bigger, then the MX500 is available in a 2TB size; I have one for sale as well. If you don't want the Crucial brand drives for some reason, Samsung's 860 EVO line is slightly more expensive at the same capacity points and is also a great drive.

I ran HD Tune disk diagostic: all sectors were fine. From what I've read and my past experience, Samsung 860 won't work with my mb. Now I'm wondering if Win 7 is corrupt; have original Win 7 Pro disk, but I'm afraid to attempt repair. I've been backing up with Acronis every week. If the repair process goes awry, will I lose all my files?

Does the drive tick and click when you listen, mate? Those slow down symptoms point to drive failing. Mine did that, and also some files unreadable.

Taco would suggest back up everything important as soon as possible or if you dont have any way to back up, dont use the pc or disconnect drive. It may be on its last legs!
Yes, I hear what sounds like an irregular low volume ticking sound. I'm backing up to external hard drive now with Acronis. I've only used about one third of 1T, so that size should be fine. From what I've read, WD has degraded quality of present Black drives. I like reliabilty statistics of HGST Ultrastar drives. Where can I buy a new one for good value with a 5 year warranty? Lots of deception about used condition of HGST drives on Amazon, Ebay and New Egg. It would be easier to clone old to new drive with AOMEI. I tried to install a Samsung 860 EVO about a year ago, but could not get it recognized. So I returned it. Open PCIe 2.0 slot on mb is too close to EVGA 650 graphics card which takes up 2 slots of 3 on Sabertooth X58 mb.

There is nothing 'special' about SSDs that are SATA versus a mechanical drive that is SATA. If you can't get a SSD to recognize, then either it's a problem with the drive, the cable, or the SATA port or controller. I would try again, with a different drive.

There is nothing 'special' about SSDs that are SATA versus a mechanical drive that is SATA. If you can't get a SSD to recognize, then either it's a problem with the drive, the cable, or the SATA port or controller. I would try again, with a different drive.
OK, thanks for info. I'm planning to either attempt a repair or clean install of Win 7 tomorrow after Acronis backup completes.

Back