WD Announces 8TB, 10TB HelioSeal Drives

We're finally reaching the point where storage is no longer a limiting factor. I've got under 20TB of data right now. I could see myself potentially reaching 100TB if I went hog wild. With 10TB drives, that's less than half of one of my two NAS enclosures.

Now let's get those 4K videos going! I need an excuse for more and bigger drives!

With 10TB drives, that's less than half of one of my two NAS enclosures.

I think about these drives however I expect the cost will be way out of my budget for anything at home. I mean I expect this 10TB drive to be significantly more than $1000 US..

I kinda feel silly now with my 20bay, hotswap, Lian-Li D8000 chassis.

What's interesting about this announcement is that the 10tb version is supposed to have both the lowest power utilization and cost per gb.
The only thing that may kind of suck is a setup where you end up having 20TB dedicated to parity!

The only thing that may kind of suck is a setup where you end up having 20TB dedicated to parity!

But that is on a 100 TB array

cost per gb

I highly doubt this will be priced at a better price /gb than the last three 4TB drives I purchased for under $150US each. However this is enterprise. At work I still pay around $200 for a 2TB drive.

The 10TB drive is for a different use case than the 8TB drive. These SMR drives are for cold storage. Not build for lots of random reads, from what I understand.

So now it's enough to photo a single drive to get into "10 Tb+ showoff thread" :D

Back