WD 8TB Easystores are 150$ again

Status
Not open for further replies.
get emm on ebay from besbuy and use thr coupon for 15% off...

PRONTO15
127.50 is the cheapest price i've seen. Sadly I don't need another drive.
Oops 134.99. Didn't realize it was only off the first 100 bucks.

Last edited:
127.50 is the cheapest price i've seen. Sadly I don't need another drive.
Oops 134.99. Didn't realize it was only off the first 100 bucks.

The drives are $127.50 if you use the ebay coupon. It is a max discount of $100, meaning you can spend up to $666.66 and get the full 15% off.

Got my NAS box today and am in the middle of setting up the drives etc. Everything seems to be working great. Got the QNAP T-451+ with four of the EMAZ drives. Moving from multiple external drives on my various systems etc and will see how PLEX runs later tonight at some point. Not sure if this kind of comment is frowned on or not in these threads but thought I'd let people checking the deal out in case they were hesitant.

Wait a moment... so its possible some of these white labels are are HGST Ultrastar He 10s (265mb cache) or He 8s (128mb cache), modded down (via firmware? Hardware etc..?) to 5400rpm?

Also, according to Luke M they're no longer using helium for 8TB models? Any idea why this would be? I was under the impression that He drives had some benefits and was the primary reason that larger and more expensive drive types used it, as well as being an overall better process. Thus, I expected to see more drives using it as time went on and the process became cheaper etc.. instead of the opposite? Then again I've done researched deeply into the specific benefits of helium or its costs so I may be missing something. Is there a way to detect if the drive is a helium using mode? EFAX/EMAZ may not be enough by themselves but I wonder if there's some other model number somewhere? From the Reddit link Sparticus69 provided above,the datasheets for Ultrastar helium drives have a breakdown on how a model number is put together around which features etc... and though I'm sure it won't be that easy for a white label, perhaps there are some clues?

Considering the lineup of WD Externals, I didn't know Elements were "shuckable" and had the same sort of drive in them compared to the Easystores; I'm pretty sure MyBook models are not, but I hadn't heard much discussion of Elements being shucked for high quality internal drives the same way Easystores seem to have been.

Regarding the 3.3v issues, when it comes to SATA backplanes and/or just plain connecting it to an ATX power supply via a SATA power connector, what is "modern" enough that it shouldn't be an issue without modding?

Isn't Helium becomming a rare resource, and doesn't Russia or some country control like 99% of it's production?

Nope. Me was wrong. Apparently the US is responsible for 75% of the worlds Helium production.

And of course, Texas is the hot spot :)

There was a shortage some years ago but I don't know if there still is.

And I find it interesting that the Federal Government sets the price of Helium.

Got my NAS box today and am in the middle of setting up the drives etc. Everything seems to be working great. Got the QNAP T-451+ with four of the EMAZ drives. Moving from multiple external drives on my various systems etc and will see how PLEX runs later tonight at some point. Not sure if this kind of comment is frowned on or not in these threads but thought I'd let people checking the deal out in case they were hesitant.
Me too I got my TS-1635AX in on Monday, the EMAZ came up with no issue at all, its a little slow currently since I'm only using 6/12 drives in raid 6 (400/350 MB/s ~ r/w) but I expect that to increase when I fill out the rest of the drive bays.
Isn't Helium becomming a rare resource, and doesn't Russia or some country control like 99% of it's production?

Nope. Me was wrong. Apparently the US is responsible for 75% of the worlds Helium production.
And of course, Texas is the hot spot :)
There was a shortage some years ago but I don't know if there still is.
And I find it interesting that the Federal Government sets the price of Helium.
Rare only to earth since it floats out into space once released, its one of the most abundant gasses in the universe technically though.
There was a shortage, the govt regulates the price because they're the one selling it (the bureau of land management anyway), theres a huge stockpile from the 60s/70s that they started selling off to discourage exploratory means of obtaining it.
Its primarily obtained through specific natural gas well extraction (though its only like 0.1-0.3% of the gas pulled from them)

Last edited:
I bought one several months ago. It is still in the box. I haven't gotten to my project that would require it.

Me too I got my TS-1635AX in on Monday, the EMAZ came up with no issue at all, its a little slow currently since I'm only using 6/12 drives in raid 6 (400/350 MB/s ~ r/w) but I expect that to increase when I fill out the rest of the drive bays.

Thanks for posting, I'm waiting for a DS718+ . I bought 2 WD80EFAX last week when the store had 46 in stock. I wanted 2 more and all stores nearby were out of drives. Got 2 WD80EMAZ in the internet order, so glad to see you had no problem with them in your QNAP, I hope I won't have any problems either.

I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of these used. The seller was helpful enough to show CrystalDiskInfo - https://imgur.com/a/v8d1CmS , and https://imgur.com/a/fJhz3Ju . If I am correct, with these model numbers these are the Ultrastar He 10's? Pics of the boxes say Made in Thailand so that should confirm they're 256mb cache as well. The seller seems reputable and was honest that the drives had been used for mining Burstcoin, but are still in good condition as per the CrystalDiskInfo and mentioned that Burst mining isn't particularly hard on the drive either. . Is all of the above accurate and if so is there any reason I should NOT purchase these?

I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of these used. The seller was helpful enough to show CrystalDiskInfo - https://imgur.com/a/v8d1CmS , and https://imgur.com/a/fJhz3Ju . If I am correct, with these model numbers these are the Ultrastar He 10's? Pics of the boxes say Made in Thailand so that should confirm they're 256mb cache as well. The seller seems reputable and was honest that the drives had been used for mining Burstcoin, but are still in good condition as per the CrystalDiskInfo and mentioned that Burst mining isn't particularly hard on the drive either. . Is all of the above accurate and if so is there any reason I should NOT purchase these?
I can’t speak to this, I don’t know what kind of stress burstmining puts on a hard drive, I would imagine not ideal though unless the price is right considering they’re $150 new. That being said there’s not 100% certainty it is ultrastar he 10, They are quality NAS spec’ed drives though.

I did ask, the local store definitely had zero, but they told me that another store had 5 (only 1 on the shelf though, and it was encased in an anti-theft box!)

In the future, I'll just order online. I was expecting to see piles of boxes, and it wasn't like that at all.

Not that many people walk into electronics stores looking for a 8TB hdd, 2-3 is what I would expect most to keep on the shelf.

Not that many people walk into electronics stores looking for a 8TB hdd, 2-3 is what I would expect most to keep on the shelf.
Almost all of the store around me showed 1-7 in stock, Covington, LA showed 46. When I bought two there was about 20 in a storage bin near the register. The salesman said the rest were in the back. I decided to get two more about a week later and all were gone at all stores in a 50 mile radius. They seem to have gotten very popular.

Almost all of the store around me showed 1-7 in stock, Covington, LA showed 46. When I bought two there was about 20 in a storage bin near the register. The salesman said the rest were in the back. I decided to get two more about a week later and all were gone at all stores in a 50 mile radius. They seem to have gotten very popular.
Theres your outlier, LA is the largest city outside of New York ~ density = demand & volume (usually).

I can’t speak to this, I don’t know what kind of stress burstmining puts on a hard drive, I would imagine not ideal though unless the price is right considering they’re $150 new. That being said there’s not 100% certainty it is ultrastar he 10, They are quality NAS spec’ed drives though.

Thanks. Is there any way to check if they are Ultrastar 10 He's? And the price would be around $230 for 2 drives so $115 each. On the surface I'd say that's probably somewhat reasonable, but should I ask for lower on account of the burstmining and/or the $150 standard price? I don't want to insult or short the guy after all, but honestly I'm unsure of what the depreciation factor is for HDDs and how I should account for everything given the current status of the drives.

Yeah, I'm optimistic they'll do a black Friday deal again for $140 thats the lowest they've been sold at new in store.

I'll close this thread up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back