WD 640GB Blue WD6400AAKS $60 F/S @Newegg

i got one 3 weeks ago from amazon and ordered the other day from newegg and i am pretty fucking impressed with my speeds.

raid 0 on an acient 650i board :D

raidhl8.jpg

pretty decent performance right there... some pretty big dips but i assume the OS was accessing some files. but still an average of 180 is twice what my single AAKS got.

any of you set yours up in raid? similair performance? better?

fucking love these drives!

I ordered my AALS from Newegg, it came bubble wrapped + packing peanuts, pretty much as good as you'll get.

BUT, the trick is to order a larger item with it, so when they pack it in the box they dont just put the toilet paper inside ;)

Damn I'm go'n broke. I bit on the AALS too. Been waiting for these to drop down. At $70, can't help but order 2. That makes 1 aaks and 2 aals.

[H]adouken;1033693472 said:
I ordered my AALS from Newegg, it came bubble wrapped + packing peanuts, pretty much as good as you'll get.

BUT, the trick is to order a larger item with it, so when they pack it in the box they dont just put the toilet paper inside ;)

Same here. Ordered 2 AAKS from Newegg with a mouse, so it came in a nice big box. I would've like to see them bubble wrap the drives a little thicker however. The wrap was pretty thin on one of the sides of the drives.

Every drive I get from newegg has one side with little to no bubble wrap for some reason. It is usually one side of the hard drive, not the top or bottom. They always come with peanuts at least. I've never had one like that be bad.

i got one 3 weeks ago from amazon and ordered the other day from newegg and i am pretty fucking impressed with my speeds.

raid 0 on an acient 650i board :D

raidhl8.jpg

pretty decent performance right there... some pretty big dips but i assume the OS was accessing some files. but still an average of 180 is twice what my single AAKS got.

any of you set yours up in raid? similair performance? better?

fucking love these drives!

(2) for me on the system in my sig. wb cache = off

HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___(2)AAKS_Raid_0_Volume.png

wb = on :D

HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___(2)AAKS_WB-ON_Raid_0_Volume.png

and just for kicks, here's (3) slow wd10eads in raid0, sliced at ~160gb per hd.

HDTune_R0_3_wd10ead@483gb.png

Damn I'm go'n broke. I bit on the AALS too. Been waiting for these to drop down. At $70, can't help but order 2. That makes 1 aaks and 2 aals.

Can both versions be used in the same RAID setup? I never set one up before but with the price of these drives, I'd like to give it a go. I, too, have 1 aaks and was thinking about picking up 1 or 2 aals drives. But is it better to use all the exact same drives in a RAID configuration?

Can both versions be used in the same RAID setup? I never set one up before but with the price of these drives, I'd like to give it a go. I, too, have 1 aaks and was thinking about picking up 1 or 2 aals drives. But is it better to use all the exact same drives in a RAID configuration?

it's best to have similar drives, not sure if the aaks and aals are similar-enough. :confused: here's a thread comparing the two, btw:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1365774

I've ordered a lot of drives from newegg and this is the first time that they arrived stuffed with paper instead of packing peanuts (shipped from TN). There was a LOT of paper however so I don't believe the drives were shifting around all that much during shipping. (Come to think of it, I typically order my drives one per order and place multiple orders so they all ship in small individual boxes. This is the first time I've ordered just 3 drives without anything else.)

That's a shame, you would think they would save more money in the long run by using better packaging and deal with less rma's due to shipping mishaps *sigh* one day maybe :p we'll see how the NJ warehouse packs their hard drives when i get them tomorrow or next week

Back