WD 640GB Blue WD6400AAKS $60 F/S @Newegg

damn.. tell me about it.. try'n to resist the urge to order 2 of these.. too bad i can't get the wd640 aals for that price.

*edit* I couldn't resist. I bit. Ordered one.

Decent drive. Got one in my desktop, and for shits n giggles, dropped one in a server at work. No complaints.

These are amazing drives. I have one in my current Vista machine, one in my Linux Dev Box, and two in my File server (I was debating whether or not to fill the 10 bays I have with these or another drive).

I can get 8 of these bad boys for under 500 bucks. I'm really wanting to bite right now but I know prices are only going to drop in the future - and I could wait until the spring and get an array of 1TBs and who knows if the prices will approach these.

Choices choices. But it would be nice to fill out my cages for 40% of the cost of 1TB drives (and have better performance).

and I could wait until the spring and get an array of 1TBs and who knows if the prices will approach these.

you can get 1TB drives at prices around these right now. I've seen WD10EADS for $100 and Hitachi drives for $80 on sale.

Damnit! Once again this forum is costing me money :D

I've got 4 of these for my Windows Home Server, they're great drives.

edit: Just ordered 2.

Ugh! I don't even need another. I have two already. Sonofabitch! Too tempting, especially when the Black version is now $20 more.

i bit.

need to learn how to raid them up now... never done it before. i think two aaks' should be pretty fast in raid 0.

Is there a drive out there for ~$100 or less with this kind of performance in boot time/other daily HDD tasks?

I have these in Raid 0 in both of my gaming rigs you will not be disopointed.. Went from 150 raptor's to these.

Hmm.... I've got two of these already. I just bought one 2 weeks ago and it is already filling up. Time to buy 2 more and put them in raid 0?

what's the difference between the blue and black?
selsun-blue-dandruff.jpg

Don't wear black without the blue.

Selsun Blue!

ya its tempting i bought like 10 of the regular 640' wd's now im buying the black edition.. 2 years extra warranty is worth 20 bux to me let alone the other advantages it has..

6 months ago these were $90 dollars, the price on these things are dropping like a rock.

Considering the transfer rate, the black drive(WD6401AALS) is about 12% faster than WD6400AAKS. And the Seagate 7200.12 drives are 12% faster than WD6401AALS.
Good price though.

Considering the transfer rate, the black drive(WD6401AALS) is about 12% faster than WD6400AAKS. And the Seagate 7200.12 drives are 12% faster than WD6401AALS.
Good price though.

No, the 6400aaks and aals drives have consistently shown the same transfer rates in most reviews. the only real difference is the 5 year warranty

ARRRGGHHH..... want.... so.... bad!

Really tempted to buy two of these, but considering I'm at four drives currently and I told myself yesterday I need a better case to support more devices... probably not going to happen.

I guess I could ditch my 160 GB that doesn't seem to be working for the 640 GB... in fact... I think I will.

Screw it.... two Molex to SATA power adapters from Monoprice and I'll buy two...

The WD6400AAKS blows away the WD10EADS performance wise and with this deal is a better $/GB.

Different drives in different categories. The former is a 2x320GB platter fast OS drive while the latter is a 3x333GB platter storage/media drive. Can't compare the two.

i was curious if you can tell me how big of a performance difference there is in speed between a 7200rpm drive with 16mb cache and 32mb cache??

newegg has 750gb/32mb for $89 and a 640gb/16mb for $59

so if there isnt that much of a noticeable difference in the two, i would definitely scoop up a couple of the 640gb drives

Different drives in different categories. The former is a 2x320GB platter fast OS drive while the latter is a 3x333GB platter storage/media drive. Can't compare the two.

Yeah but reasons to get the 1 TB are pretty insignificant when you the two drives....

$10 more gets you 280 GB more (takes up 2x as many slots, duh)... sounds good.

Yeah but reasons to get the 1 TB are pretty insignificant when you the two drives....

$10 more gets you 280 GB more (takes up 2x as many slots, duh)... sounds good.

Not exactly. First of all, you have 1 drive instead of 2 which means fewer platters, cooler operation, less noise among other things. Secondly, the WD Green drives are mostly used as storage and media drives which are not written to/read from on a daily basis. There are plenty of reasons to get the 1TB over 2 x 640GB, the primary of which are QUIETER operation, COOLER temperatures, and LESS power consumption.

retard question incoming. These drives only have 596 gb free space... why ?

Back