WD 640GB $88 FS!

Jeebus! Just over 14 cents per gig.

How is Directron's HDD packaging?

They do offer the option to double box for $3 extra...I don't know about how their stuff is packaged so far as HDD's go, I haven't ordered those from Directron.

They do offer the option to double box for $3 extra...I don't know about how their stuff is packaged so far as HDD's go, I haven't ordered those from Directron.

That I didn't notice... CANNOT be worse than Neweggs.

My three HDD slots are filled, so either this drive or a secondary drive will have to go into an enclosure. Can anyone recommend a SATA HDD enclosure from Directron?

Haha. I've been looking for a reason to delegate my 750 to backup duty b/c it's "loud".
(It'd probably take at least 3 x 750's to match the original WD 80gig whine though haha).

Sigh...but I never order at work. I expect these to be gone by 6PM.

Yeah. Just saved me $130. Was gonna get a ThermalTake BlacX.

Also, I don't like supporting awful websites.

Damn...just bought one from Newegg yesterday @ $100. Oh well. Guess I paid $12 for the world's worst packaging.:(

I got one of these last week for $92 shipped from Directron, the packaging was not bad, small box with peanuts filled to the brim, drive was wrapped in bubble wrap as well. Seemed good to me. I have not fired the drive up yet so...

Also had a Fragile sticker on it :)

I got one of these last week for $92 shipped from Directron, the packaging was not bad, small box with peanuts filled to the brim, drive was wrapped in bubble wrap as well. Seemed good to me. I have not fired the drive up yet so...

Also had a Fragile sticker on it :)

Sounds like how Newegg ships their hard drives(sometimes instead of bubblewrap+antistatic bag its just in the hard drive plastic casing) minus the fragile sticker XD

Well I just ordered one - it didn't show a stock status anywhere, but on the confirmation page it says In Stock Status: Yes. So hopefully that's accurate. :)

Thanks for the heads-up on this deal!

The drive was in it's original static bag, wrapped in bubble wrap. I haven't gotten a drive from newegg in a while, but I have never had a problem with shipped drives. Generally with no power applied they can take quite a bit of G's before anything bad would happen to them.

From Western Digital's website, the drive has a non operating shock tolerance of 300 G's. For comparison, 2003 Indy car wreck at Texas Motor Speedway produced:

...my car caught air at 220 mph, got air borne and smashed straight into a massive steel pole in the catch fence. The impact was enormous, but leaving the cockpit intact. It recorded a record 214 g impact...

and the driver survived.

Of course I guess if it was the Big Brown Truck UPS NASCAR then maybe we do need to worry. :D

Out of stock again. And for some reason I couldn't add any to my cart in Firefox 3.0.

The same place has the equivilant Seagate at 89.99 free shipping. Everybody has a favorite, but the seagate has a 32meg cache, 5 year warranty and generally beats the WD on test. Linky

The same place has the equivilant Seagate at 89.99 free shipping. Everybody has a favorite, but the seagate has a 32meg cache, 5 year warranty and generally beats the WD on test. Linky

Just a note that the Seagate is only a 500GB vs the WD 640GB

I have a hard time believing the Seagate 500 (2x250GB platters) beats the WD 640 (2x320GB) platters.

Wow they're fast - I just received the tracking number and confirmation email! :)

Also, regarding the Seagate drive - I believe the larger cache was not a big deal in most tests.

Back