WD 4TB Red NAS Hard Drive $179.99 FS

I told myself I was going to use faster disks in my next WHS build.

How would these work for WHS with Drive Pool, that will be used for streaming that also records video feeds? Do these have a crappy sleep state? I don't need TLER but waking disks up in a drive pool while streaming media is getting really old fast (movie freezes then skips forward video etc).

I threw a "wad" of these 4TB reds on an Adaptec 71605Q with some SSDs as the "maxCache" and its blazing.

Any spinner can be amazing if you have the right hardware/software to tier your bits

Nick

I have a backup Synology that has 2 2TB disks that I need to upgrade.

I was going to go with WD Green drives to save on power with them but Red have TLER, how necessary would you guys say that is for a Synology NAS? I use 5 WD Reds in the main array but the backup is at my apartment and while important still, should I do Red drives instead? If so I'll grab a couple of these...

Thanks

I have a backup Synology that has 2 2TB disks that I need to upgrade.

I was going to go with WD Green drives to save on power with them but Red have TLER, how necessary would you guys say that is for a Synology NAS? I use 5 WD Reds in the main array but the backup is at my apartment and while important still, should I do Red drives instead? If so I'll grab a couple of these...

Thanks

If you go with WD Green drives you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Those drives simply weren't meant to run 24/7 like a NAS/RAID setup would.

If you go with WD Green drives you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Those drives simply weren't meant to run 24/7 like a NAS/RAID setup would.

The backup Synology only runs 11pm-6am about while it backs up then idles the whole day, that's the only reason I was thinking of greens.

I went with the $109 3TB Reds in this thread instead though anyway. I believe the TLER is necessary to be safe in the future when it has more drives in the raid array.

So reds are good? I mean it says they are made to do what I want them for but there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on them.

Crap, N/M they sold out.

I like them...I did have one fail 10 days ago and sent it in to get replaced. Definitely like the 3 year warranty. Threw in a backup drive and within a day the raid was back up to 100%.

I guess having to RMA 11 Green drives in less than a year has put a sour taste in my mouth.

I guess having to RMA 11 Green drives in less than a year has put a sour taste in my mouth.

I hear that, but I have the same luck with segate.... Too bad options are so limited these days. All of my 8 Samsungs are still working from 5-6 years ago...

Back