WD 400GB SATA NCQ 16mb --- $139

I believe this is refurb though.. new pull..? what exactly does that mean.

and be wary, this only comes with 1 year warranty.

The difference between RE and SE is that RE will not ignore commands from the controller when it does a data check.

The RE impliments TLER which means that the RE drives will talk to the raid controller so it won't drop the drive from the array.

There is no ADVANTAGE to using a RE drive as a stand alone, but there is no disadvantage either.

Dew- can this feature be turned on/off with some kind of firmware utility?

Maybe, but why bother? It has zero impact in a single drive environment.

Dew said:
Maybe, but why bother? It has zero impact in a single drive environment.

In case I can get non-raid drives and use them in a raid config. At work our sysadmin is always pulling his hair about drives falling out.

amd ati FO SHO said:
Raid Edition:(

What's so bad about that? My WD3200SD has been rockin in my Linux box for a bit now without at hitch. I have plans to buy a few more and run another RAID5.

venm11 said:
In case I can get non-raid drives and use them in a raid config. At work our sysadmin is always pulling his hair about drives falling out.

Do not use WD non-RE drives in a Raid config. If he is using SE drives, that is probably why he is pulling his hair. TLER has a huge BENEFIT in a RAID config, you can put it in with SE drives if you want, but your RE is going to have a much lower chance of failure.

What i mean is, can TLER be enabled on an SE drive. I'm *hunching* that they're basically the same drive, with different options turned on/off, warranty conditions, etc.

Costco has them for $150.
Not 100% sure same drive, but is western digital 400gb 16mb cache sata drive. From costco its for sure brand new drive, my brother bought two of em.

Dew said:
Do not use WD non-RE drives in a Raid config. If he is using SE drives, that is probably why he is pulling his hair. TLER has a huge BENEFIT in a RAID config, you can put it in with SE drives if you want, but your RE is going to have a much lower chance of failure.

I haven't had an issue yet. Using mdadm for a Linux software RAID 5 with 4x WD2500KS drives. Been running a few weeks now...

vxspiritxv said:
Costco has them for $150.
Not 100% sure same drive, but is western digital 400gb 16mb cache sata drive. From costco its for sure brand new drive, my brother bought two of em.

1 year warranty

comes with sata pci card too

Back