WD 2TB Retail Box $229.99 @ Fry's Online & B&M

crap, ockie will be going door to door in his neighborhood trying to get a drive shipped to their house!

That comes out to just under $500 for two after taxes for me. Tempting, but I think I'm going to hold out for them to reach the $200 mark. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Damn. Way better than $300, but I'm still waiting for them to drop to $180 ($.09/GB).

crap, ockie will be going door to door in his neighborhood trying to get a drive shipped to their house!

*Counts how many homes are in the neighborhood* :D

$229 is pretty good, now if they can only up that limit.

*Carefully watches For Sale section for people dumping old drives*

If you go to B&M, usually the sales guys (who are commission) will let you get around the 1 per customer limit by charging different cards if you have them. That's assuming a B&M is available to you nearby. There's a ton of Frys over here in the socal area.

I almost bit this morning. I was planning on showing up at opening but refrained. I'm not anywhere near capacity. I can wait for sub-$0.10/GB.

If you go to B&M, usually the sales guys (who are commission) will let you get around the 1 per customer limit by charging different cards if you have them. That's assuming a B&M is available to you nearby. There's a ton of Frys over here in the socal area.

Yeah, they work commission all right. One guy wanted to write me a quote for a power strip I bought so he could get credit for the sale.

5400RPM - 7200RPM Variable? Either I'm living under a rock or just happened to not know drive companies are making drives with variable RPMs now. I guess that shouldn't negatively affect performance would it?

these will drop in price pretty soon again, but that's not a bad deal, pretty soon people getting 3 tb drives are going to wonder why only 2 tbs show up on their computer

5400RPM - 7200RPM Variable? Either I'm living under a rock or just happened to not know drive companies are making drives with variable RPMs now. I guess that shouldn't negatively affect performance would it?

They don't change during operation. They are variable fixed from the factory. This is really just a marketing way of selling you 5400's.

I would think the drive would do 5400 rpm at idle and ramp up to 7200 on access, but havent taken the time to check the WD website for info on that.

I may snag one when I get home from here at work though.

Back