WD 2TB My Passport SSD External Portable Drive $239 Amazon

Cheapest for me on Amazon as of 7/16/20 is $359.99.
Means Amazon's stock is all sold out, so you're getting 3rd party offers.

Indeed, that is what it is.
1594905320449.png

If I thought I could shuck those and pop 4 of them into my mini NAS...…

Too much $$$ for though for that. Wish they made 2TB WD Reds..... or 4TB in 2.5" factor....

If I thought I could shuck those and pop 4 of them into my mini NAS...…

Too much $$$ for though for that. Wish they made 2TB WD Reds..... or 4TB in 2.5" factor....
I think you can with the seagate 5TBs. Reds are just a marketing gimmick imo--they're just consumer drives with a different firmware and a bit more warranty. I've never understood why people fall all over them when for just a little more you can buy real enterprise drives.

If I had a mini nas using 2.5" drives, I'd use wd blacks and only blacks since they have a 5yr warranty. Problem is that they only come in 1TB and in that case ssds make more sense.

It's probably just me, but I'd really need a serious justification to spend over 3x the price of a regular portable drive for $65:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...able-hard-drive-black/6406513.p?skuId=6406513

I would easily do so to avoid having to take my laptop apart again to upgrade the SSD space where both of the internal NVMe SSDs are full.

$299 is not a terrible price for 2TB of SSD space. I wish it was NVMe based instead of SATA however. I would be all over it if it was NVMe even with only a 10GBit USB link.

I would easily do so to avoid having to take my laptop apart again to upgrade the SSD space where both of the internal NVMe SSDs are full.

$299 is not a terrible price for 2TB of SSD space. I wish it was NVMe based instead of SATA however. I would be all over it if it was NVMe even with only a 10GBit USB link.
Good point, and at usb 3.0 speeds it should be quick enough that you wouldn't feel it to be much slower than the NVMe even though it is.

You can easily build your own NVMe external using an enclosure like this one from startech:
https://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/m2-nvme-ssd-enclosure~M2E1BMU31C

Then you can even upgrade it as you wish swapping for larger drives as they come along. (y)

Back