WD 2TB Green EARS 64MB $69.99AR Newegg

wow..
"Up to five (5)WD20EARS products from NewEgg.com between 01/17/2011 - 01/31/2011."

Good catch, screw the rebate! Oh wait reading this review for the samsung:

Cons: Advanced Format Drives. Win 7 recognizes these natively. Unix-like OSes may have trouble with them. Curiously, the 3 of these I purchased on Jan 4 made no mention of the "advanced format drive" stuff. But the 5 I bought on Jan 19 have been labeled to say "advanced format drive" and the Part/Number has been slightly changed from the Jan 4 group. The model number of both drive groups is the same."

WHS does not support advanced format drives. So How can I be sure to order one that is not advanced format?

Last edited:
The EARS you can jumper. The Sammy's can be aligned using software they provide. I've been running them for a week in WHS right out of the box with no issues. There's alot of people doing that with no ill performance.

I have two EARS in my WHS and a normal one for the system drive, no problems at all so far. 5 months a going.

The EARS you can jumper. The Sammy's can be aligned using software they provide. I've been running them for a week in WHS right out of the box with no issues. There's alot of people doing that with no ill performance.

So even if I get the extended format drive I can get around the issue? Is that true with 3TB drives as well? THe Samsung sure seems like a good deal with no rebate to worry about. Although the WD does have more cache.

makes me wish i didnt just buy 8 of the 1.5s at tiger this morning

I bought one today as well, this will be my second one for my machine.
Technically it is the 3rd one but the first one I bought was DOA.

I've been around computers a long time and know that drives fail and sometimes you get a bum one right out the box, but WD has been very reliable for me over the years.
I had a 1TB Black last 9 days but the other 3 1TB Blacks have been running great for over a year now in 24/7 operation.
This 2TB will be replacing 3 WD 250GB drives in my machine, 2 of them are probably 5 years old now
I only have enough SATA and IDE headers in the machine for 10 drives so I am pulling out the smaller ones one or more at time when I can afford larger drives.

Seriously, when will Amazon price-match these for us California people?

Back