WD 2TB External At Target

Still a higher price than before the flood.

..for the same drive.

..years ago.

..at Target.

It's a green drive which don't have the best track record in an enclosure without any active cooling.
Prolonged use I bet it gets toasty.

People should never buy these drives. WD puts random disk inside all of them. You could have refurbished stuff or blacks. It's all a gamble. Better to buy the internal and get an 8 dollar enclosure.

They won't be blacks, put out too much heat.
All the my books are greens but possible the latest models are actually running reds.

If anybody ever cracked one open they bought new to find a refurbished drive WD would have lawsuits so I highly doubt they would attempt that.

Besides you can easily check the SMART and if it already has thousands of hours that's your red flag.

The only external drive I ever bought was a WD passport from Sam's, it was brand spanking new, zero hours.

meh. it's usb 2.0

If it was 3.0 then it would hot

I'm not sure what you saw but I see it very clearly with a USB 3.0 mini port and the description also lists USB 3.0

In fact, this looks exactly like the USB 3.0 drive we have at work although I'm at home so I cant compare the model numbers to be sure.

if you crack these open, does the warranty still apply ? Can you register it with WD?

I'm not sure what you saw but I see it very clearly with a USB 3.0 mini port and the description also lists USB 3.0

In fact, this looks exactly like the USB 3.0 drive we have at work although I'm at home so I cant compare the model numbers to be sure.

Maximum Data Transfer Rate: Up to 480 Mbps

It supports being plugged into a USB 3.0, but will only work at 2.0 speeds. That means it might as well be a 2.0 drive.

Most likely a Green 2TB 5400RPM drive. Price is bad since it is not available online and you pay tax at B/M store anyway.

They won't be blacks, put out too much heat.
All the my books are greens but possible the latest models are actually running reds.

If anybody ever cracked one open they bought new to find a refurbished drive WD would have lawsuits so I highly doubt they would attempt that.

Besides you can easily check the SMART and if it already has thousands of hours that's your red flag.

The only external drive I ever bought was a WD passport from Sam's, it was brand spanking new, zero hours.

Not true at all.. I bought 2.. One was black.. and one was refurbished. They only sell you USB speeds guaranteed. So there is no lawsuit possible. Smart data easily changeable by firmware.

Elements are easy to open without leaving any telltale signs, but MyBooks are trickier, and most likely you'll break a couple of the internal snaps. MyBook enclosures vary in design, and the old ones had a couple of latches that can be unlocked by pressing in 2 of the rubber feet on bottom.

Most of the instructions found on YouTube or Instructibles for opening HD cases (any brand) show the use of a screwdriver to pry them open. Don't use a screwdriver because they leave gouge marks. Instead use an old credit card (any plastic card) or the thinnest, smoothest kitchen knife you can find.

Not true at all.. I bought 2.. One was black.. and one was refurbished.

So you bought a new external, cracked it open and found a refurbished drive in it?

When you buy new you get new, if you are not your are being screwed, swindled and that is how lawsuits get generated.

Sounds more like somebody bought them and pirated the real drives and put other drives in then returned them to the store.

So you bought a new external, cracked it open and found a refurbished drive in it?

When you buy new you get new, if you are not your are being screwed, swindled and that is how lawsuits get generated.

Sounds more like somebody bought them and pirated the real drives and put other drives in then returned them to the store.
I can second this.

As a matter of fact some drives showed hundred or thousands of hours of use via smart software.

I bought 6 drives last time this went on (2 years ago) and got 4 black drives, and 2 eco drives. One of each was refurbished, 3 total drives had time on them. most people assumed they were new and never checked. I bought all of mine retail, un opened from Target.

And i was not the only one. The SD thread was 300+ pages long describing what amounted to gambling. WD's response was essentially that they guaranteed usb speeds only, not the condition of the drive. Furthermore they stated that any enclosure that was opened was no longer warrantied. They basically said they can throw any drive in them, even if the bare drive is refurbished, because the whole product is not refurbished.

Oh, and for the record no lawsuit was successful 2 years ago. WD just screwed people over .

I like WD and have used their drives for the past 5+ years but that sounds like a really shitty practice and their wording is lawyer speak to get around the fact your are not getting a new item when it should be new.
New does not mean just a case but the entire item.
Nobody would buy a new car with a used transplanted engine.
Maybe this is industry standard and Seagate does it too?

+1 to never buy any external WD.

I put my own drives in my own bought externals with active cooling and save the surprise.

Does the smart stuff work THROUGh the usb bridge? If it's used, return. If it's not, keep.

Simple as that.

Back