WD 10TB My Book $79.99 @ Amazon + more

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by ND40oz, May 19, 2019.

1. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I really don't understand how a company like Amazon does not have software to automatically flag errors like this.

2. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Hahaha...it's like one of my favorite Brian Regan routines: "We can put a man on the moon, but we can't make a damn phone cord that won't bunch up!" :D

aid2261840-v4-728px-Untangle-a-Phone-Cord-Step-1.jpg

3. Absalom

Absalom Gawd

I've experienced this as well (but it was some other e-tailer like Jet.com). There is a strong possibility this will be the outcome.

Hey, it was a longshot at best. At least Amazon won't charge you until it ships. And knowing Amazon, they'll probably apologize by giving you a $1 credit towards a digital music purchase.

4. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

Think about it this way--if errors like this are good for them, why would they want to stop them?

5. drescherjm

I guess it draws a lot of users to their page and if they don't deliver the product it does not cost them much..

6. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

And I'm sure people will go ahead and order other things they were 'thinking about' or had in their cart. Probably why they don't want to put an end to these things--they see sales spikes even when they don't ship product. :eek:

drescherjm likes this.
  7. pillagenburn

pillagenburn Gawd

Slightly off topic but do you all see HDD prices going down much this year as demand shifts to larger SSD's? I'm looking to fill a 16 bay CSE-836 with 8tb or larger HDD later this year if the price is right.

8. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

Don't give them ideas, lol,

this was from 2.5 years ago
    amazon-order-cheap.jpg

treefortrichard likes this.
  9. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Nope. There's no precedent for this. The industry doesn't work that way.

10. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

I see the HDD companies keeping the cost of the larger (8+TB) drives as high as they can for as long as they can while phasing out everything under maybe 2TB (in the 2.5"FF for cheap laptops) as they shut down assembly lines.

There is already no point in spending $50 for slow 1TB HDD when you can buy 512GB super fast SSDs for that and with 1TB models dipping below $100.

2TB QLC drives (abd larger as density increases with the 3bit NAND coming online this summer) with a speedy 256GB SLC/MLC "cache" are going to hit $100 regularly by BF if this trend continues...So who in their right mind would want a small HDD that is larger, louder, and insanely slower when you can have a 1-2TB SSD?

Even budget gaming builds have at least a 256GB hut moving to 512GB SSD with a small 1-2TB HDD for now. ITS going to become cheaper to just drop the HDD and go with a larger SSD.

SamirD likes this.
  11. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

I wonder if WD has anything to do with this - did anyone notice if these two deals were already "#1 best seller in external hard drives" (10tb deal) and "#1 new release in external hard drives" (16tb deal)? Call me a cynic but this does feel like a great way to pump up those sales numbers.

edit: As of April 18th the 10tb was down in #5 and the 16tb wasn't even on the first page of the new releases...

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  12. Gorilla

Gorilla [H]ardness Supreme

I'm guessing they cancelled my order as it has disappeared from my order history.

13. Richneerd

Richneerd Limp Gawd

My ordered also got canceled. It was fun!

14. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

You guys are reading WAY too much into this.

It's called a repricer. Occasionally they'll do weird things.

15. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

Mine got cancelled, did get a $20 credit for the effort though, so I'm not complaining.

anthrex likes this.
  16. drescherjm

There is one reason for these however. OEMs like Dell will put the 1TB drive in a base model computer and charge you $200+ for the 512GB SSD upgrade that replaces the HD with the SSD.

At work just get teh base model and buy my ram and SSD upgrades elsewhere.

17. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Limp Gawd

Same here. Oh well.

TypeO likes this.
  18. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

I got tired of having the money tied up in something that wasn't a for sure deal, so I cancelled on my own yesterday morning. DOH!

19. Zareek

Zareek Limp Gawd

Yup, same here guys, I got a $20 credit and order was cancelled for the 16TB. At least they didn't wait 2 months to take care of it. As much as I think they should make good on a mistake they made, I respect the fact they openly admit they made a mistake and offered at least some compensation for it.

20. Absalom

Absalom Gawd

Amazon cancelled and gave me $20 credit. I was expecting more like $1 and at a much later time, so win-win.

21. Zepher

Same, got the email today with the $20 gift card notification.

22. Grimham

Grimham [H]ard|Gawd

Got no email or gift card, just says "Cancelled" when I view the status of my order. This was for the 16GB Duo. Perhaps I'll get an email later.
    Can't say I'm heartbroken it got cancelled, I expected it. And even if it did go through the moronic encryption would have made me just pull the drives out and toss or sell the chassis.

23. Gorilla

Gorilla [H]ardness Supreme

I didn't get an email or gift card. I can't even view the status of my order. It just disappeared like it never happened.

24. TypeO

TypeO [H]ardness Supreme

Cancelled order from Amazon but received the $20 credit as well.

25. drescherjm

For the people who got the $20 was it in stock when you ordered? When I saw this thread the 16TB version was listed as out of stock. The 10 TB deal was already dead.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  26. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

I ordered when they were both in stock and it just shows cancelled, no credit. I'll call and ask why my order was cancelled with no notification.

drescherjm likes this.
  27. Viper87227

Viper87227 [H]ard as it Gets

Was OOS when I ordered and I got a $20 credit this morning.

drescherjm likes this.
  28. TypeO

TypeO [H]ardness Supreme

My order was for the 4tb and got $20.

drescherjm likes this.
  29. Zepher

It was out of stock when I ordered the 16TB.

30. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

Man, one could really rack up a bunch of credits ordering oos stuff that's never going to ship if they're going to issue credits at $20/pop. :sneaky:

Not something I would do, but I guess there's a way to game the system.