WCG Christmas Race 2015

Awesome job guys. And we still have 9 more days to go.

Sweet!!! We're #1, we're #1!!!

Adding another box to this, let's keep us in first!!!

Congrats on passing us. Glad to see you guys up and running again.
Waving as you go by

You will double or triple us in points by the end, the EVGA crunching team is small and most of the crunchers set up WCG and never pay any attention.
Other challenges like POGs there is maybe 7-10 of us that get involved.

Anyway I would like to do this again in Jan. and do one a month in the Winter.
Try to get the big teams involved, WCG is such a good project. I was surprised the big teams are not involved as much in WCG, I hear the points are not enough for them to bother with. That's too bad.
Maybe keep the challenges a little shorter, say seven to ten days. I'm willing to go to some forums and see if they would like to partake in some WCG.

Congratulations again, don't stop crunching WCG after the challenge, they are doing good research with real world results being used. Who doesn't want to wipe out Cancer, Ebola, AIDS and have clean energy.

Still #1!

Today is my first day joining WCG!

I used to be running F@H back in the old days, but decided to give WCG a try :)

FYI : there are 2 Hard teams in WCG which I just discovered by clicking a link here in the forum. The one I joined back a few weeks ago called [H]ard|OCP created by King_N back in 2004 and the one the majority of the old [H]orde is in. Obviously I wanted to contribute to the race and created over 200,000 points for the wrong team but have switched it over now. It still is for a good cause and I don't feel I wasted anything but I increased the OC on my old Q6600 for the race and it's too bad I wasn't part of the win. Someone should make a note of this or a sticky so when searching for teams to join new members get the correct one.

You mean like the information that was posted in the very first post of this thread that also included a convenient link to the correct team?

Our Team's page at WCG http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...Id=BP5XNJBR9N1 Please note that we have a few unofficial teams. Please use this link to verify you are attached to the correct one. If you still aren't sure, please ask in the forums or via PM and we will be glad to get you set up.

Or this post in the All Inclusive DC Project List

BOINC
These projects use HardOCP as the team name:

WCG - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...Id=BP5XNJBR9N1

All other BOINC projects use [H]ard|OCP

Or the mention in the BOINC installation Guide

I wasn't part of the team when [H] Commandos decided to create teams at the various projects. So, I can't explain the chaos and or confusion that led to having more then one team name. So, depending on which BOINC project you join, you will find a couple choices. However, there is only one official team to choose.

For the following BOINC projects, you need to use HardOCP:

WCG

For all other BOINC projects, use [H]ard|OCP

And lastly, in the stickied [H]orde|Centrol 5.0 - Everything DC (FAQ's, Guides, Tips and Tricks) that is at the top of this subforum

Click My Contribution, click My Team, click Find a Team, search for HardOCP, Click on that team, then click Join Team. Keep in mind that if you are attaching to other BOINC projects, their pages will be a little different because they typically use the default BOINC template. It is also important to note that we have a couple different team names depending on which project you choose. A list of official teams are listed here. Please verify from this list that you are using the correct team name. An example is in the BOINC install guide linked below. WCG designs their own page.

Last edited:
It wouldn't hurt to add a line in challenge announcements a reminder of what the team name is.

Team - Blame King_N for this mess/situation, not Gilthanis. It is King_N who is squatting on the "[H]ard|OCP" team name and won't relinquish control of that name to the current, actual team. Gilthanis has tried several times to get this situation fixed, in order to avoid exactly the confusion that Toconator experienced. Gilthanis even tried to work directly with the WCG admins to get it fixed, but got nowhere with that approach, unfortunately.

The bottom line is, we are stuck in this situation because of King_N. Please do not blame Gilthanis, as he has tried his best to rectify the situation.

If WCG won't consolidate teams, maybe they can disable the ability to join 613 and 1242? That would solve the problem of users inadvertently joining the wrong team.

It appears King_N is the only user contributing to the wrong team.

Last edited:
They wont do anything to the teams without confirming they are indeed dead. Since [H]ard|OCP is an active team, it is hands off. Something I have been considering is just switching all of them to HardOCP and just being done with it. It isn't the desired name, but would make all the BOINC projects the same. Thoughts?

They wont do anything to the teams without confirming they are indeed dead. Since [H]ard|OCP is an active team, it is hands off. Something I have been considering is just switching all of them to HardOCP and just being done with it. It isn't the desired name, but would make all the BOINC projects the same. Thoughts?
That sounds like the nuclear option but might be the only way to deal with this situation.

Does this only matter for WCG at this point? Since you made all the team names the desired "[H]ard|OCP" several months ago, I believe WCG is the lone standout, correct?

If so, I think this is only a problem for those wanting to join our team at WCG, and Toconator demonstrated exactly why: when given a choice between "HardOCP" and "[H]ard|OCP", most people would naturally choose "[H]ard|OCP" since that is most like the forum name and logo itself. I did the same thing when I first joined our team, back when there was a mixture of the two names at different projects.

Therefore, while changing the team name to "HardOCP" at all projects would certainly make my OCD feel better, I think it may not help at WCG. People will likely still pick the "[H]ard|OCP" team. It would also make us lose some coolness and individuality in our team name, as well as losing the ability to quickly pick the team name out of a list (to me, the [H] makes the name pop when looking at a long list of teams).

For these reasons, my vote for the name change would be a no. I think we need to sweat out King_N and hope he eventually relinquishes control of team [H]ard|OCP. :mad:

However, I am but one guy. I suggest we take this discussion to a dedicated thread, so that the whole team can have an opportunity to see it and chime in.

Does this only matter for WCG at this point? Since you made all the team names the desired "[H]ard|OCP" several months ago, I believe WCG is the lone standout, correct?

If so, I think this is only a problem for those wanting to join our team at WCG, and Toconator demonstrated exactly why: when given a choice between "HardOCP" and "[H]ard|OCP", most people would naturally choose "[H]ard|OCP" since that is most like the forum name and logo itself. I did the same thing when I first joined our team, back when there was a mixture of the two names at different projects.

Therefore, while changing the team name to "HardOCP" at all projects would certainly make my OCD feel better, I think it may not help at WCG. People will likely still pick the "[H]ard|OCP" team. It would also make us lose some coolness and individuality in our team name, as well as losing the ability to quickly pick the team name out of a list (to me, the [H] makes the name pop when looking at a long list of teams).

For these reasons, my vote for the name change would be a no. I think we need to sweat out King_N and hope he eventually relinquishes control of team [H]ard|OCP. :mad:

However, I am but one guy. I suggest we take this discussion to a dedicated thread, so that the whole team can have an opportunity to see it and chime in.

The problem is that we have no way of contacting King_N. His account at WCG is set to not allow emails. And I don't believe he has been in the forums for years either. If anyone had his contact info, it would be great. But considering he left a lot of harsh feelings out there, not sure why he cares to continue...

I don't know if it is accurate or if posting it would be allowed, but the whois of hardfolding.com has been the same for years and includes contact info. I would suspect that Kyle has his contact info as well. Hardfolding.com copies the entirety of hardocp.com which I think would not be allowed due to copyright issues without an agreement.

I wasn't trying to blame anyone for any of the confusion. When I joined WCG it wasn't just with the challenge in mind so I did not look up the link from any threads but rather did a search thru BOINC and the [H]ard|OCP team was the one suggested and it matched the CSG, WUProp etc. so I took it to be the correct one. The HardOCP one did not even pop up. Haven't heard hide nor hair from King_N in quite sometime and seeing as how he was responsible for the [H]ard Folding site I don't think he's too involved anymore. It was only after wanting to see my contribution after a few weeks and not seeing any of your names on the team list that I decided to look into it further and discovered there's 2 "Hard" teams and THEN read some of the threads and found the correct info/links and changed over. Chillax Gilthanis, no need to be defensive. This situation is not your doing and your contributions to DCing here in the Forums is monumental. It's just that a person doesn't usually have to read a specific thread or follow a link to join a project or team thru BOINC and the search function usually works quite well, just not in this instance.

I wasn't trying to blame anyone for any of the confusion. When I joined WCG it wasn't just with the challenge in mind so I did not look up the link from any threads but rather did a search thru BOINC and the [H]ard|OCP team was the one suggested and it matched the CSG, WUProp etc. so I took it to be the correct one. The HardOCP one did not even pop up. Haven't heard hide nor hair from King_N in quite sometime and seeing as how he was responsible for the [H]ard Folding site I don't think he's too involved anymore. It was only after wanting to see my contribution after a few weeks and not seeing any of your names on the team list that I decided to look into it further and discovered there's 2 "Hard" teams and THEN read some of the threads and found the correct info/links and changed over. Chillax Gilthanis, no need to be defensive. This situation is not your doing and your contributions to DCing here in the Forums is monumental. It's just that a person doesn't usually have to read a specific thread or follow a link to join a project or team thru BOINC and the search function usually works quite well, just not in this instance.

Do you happen to have contact info for King_N? It would be nice to get this fully resolved. WCG is indeed the last lingering project that needs adjusted. Also, it would be nice if we could get Hardfolding.com running again... I'm hoping someone has some way of contacting him. He dropped off for a bit, which is when I contacted WCG. Then after they contacted him, he started crunching again. So, they wouldn't do anything and he supposedly declined to have the team transitioned or renamed.

There's actually three WCG teams. Funny how they were all created at the same time.

Team Name: Current Members: Date Created:
[H]ardOCP 4 11/18/2004
[H]ard|OCP 5 11/17/2004
HardOCP 341 11/18/2004

I for one would be willing to help get hardfolding.com going again. EOC is awesome but needs some serious updating, and it'd be fun to get stats going for other projects all in one location

I for one would be willing to help get hardfolding.com going again. EOC is awesome but needs some serious updating, and it'd be fun to get stats going for other projects all in one location

You may want to contact Kyle then. IIRC there was a thread he posted in saying if anyone was interested in taking it on to let him know. But I may have been dreaming... YMMV.

Back