WCG Christmas Race 2012

Yes, you have to write your own app_info. BOINC is still in GPU infancy and so the app_info lets you do a great deal. I have read some people running up to 12 HCC WU's on some AMD cards. It seems the limitation is enough threads to feed the GPU's. Have a look at both of these threads.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...app_info.xml&p=5145415&viewfull=1#post5145415

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?283509-Working-app_info-files

If you have any questions, let us know and one of us will chime in. app_info's are not a strong point of mine since my GPU's are not high end enough to really mess with a whole lot. But yours will certainly see leaps and bounds in results/points.

You create the file just like the cc_config file. The difference is that you put it in the individual project folder within the BOINC data directory.

Here is also a new thread that we have been updating for helpful BOINC settings and how to's. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729016

However, in the near future WCG will do away with app_info compatibility. So, use it while you can and be ready to delete it when they iron things out. app_info still works at other projects though.

It's a Cray CX1 running Windows Server 2012 with the HPC Pack 2012. 8 blades, each blade has two 4-core Xeon so 64 procs.
Nice. I really wish that I had something like this at work instead of every server having a different config and different hardware!

Well it is not looking to good for us to break into the top 10 by next monday. But I think we still did a good job. I know personally I should break the 3 billion point mark by next week.

Well..I just added 4 more cores for at least a few days and maybe part time long term.

4 q6600 cores up and running to finish the race... unfortunately, the 9800GTX in this machine runs HCC as good as the 4850 in my other quad - which is to say not at all...

Well..I just added 4 more cores for at least a few days and maybe part time long term.

4 q6600 cores up and running to finish the race... unfortunately, the 9800GTX in this machine runs HCC as good as the 4850 in my other quad - which is to say not at all...

Good to see more processing power coming online! I hear you Jathanis - I wish some of these older cards would work as well. I'm hoping to be able to save a little cash after xmas for a 7870. :)

Looks like we are still holding onto 11th place quite well. Congrats to our friends over at EVGA for putting up such a great showing! They have quickly become a major player in the entire DC community. Nice work Crunching@EVGA!

Last edited:
Looks like we finished 11th.

Yeah, but more importantly, it was the kick in the ass I needed to come back from a 2 year retirement from the Commandos! Much more important! :D

Seriously, great showing guys! Time to start planning for the next machine or two in the farm so I have more firepower for next year...

Nice work Commandos!! A big thank you to metallicafan and Gilthanis for spending the time to organise, update and keep us on track this year :cool:

Also, KMac's megaboost was simply amazing!

Yeah, but more importantly, it was the kick in the ass I needed to come back from a 2 year retirement from the Commandos!

Welcome back :)

Despite the Christmas Race being over for a couple of weeks now I wanted to take just a minute to thank everyone who participated in the Race this year. This was our most successful Christmas Race to date (points, and participation wise)! Thanks to everyone who helped other members get rigs up and running and optimized. Thanks to people who took breaks from their "normal" projects to help out.

Cheers, and I hope all of you have a great 2013. Crunch on!

Back