WCG 12th annual birthday challenge (2016)

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
The Challenge will take place from

Nov 16th - Nov 22nd 2016

Team Challenge Detail
SETI.Germany's page for the competition - Welcome | seti-germany.de

I have signed us up for the 12th annual birthday challenge at WCG. As long as you are crunching for our team already, there is nothing more you need to do. If you want to help the team but have not set up an account yet, please follow this link to create the account at WCG: http://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=338542&teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1 That link will make sure that when you create the account, that you will be associated to our team already.

If you already have an account with WCG but have not already associated it with the team, please follow this link: Team and Click on Join Team.

Keep in mind, this is just how you create your account. You will then need to install the client and attach it to WCG. We have a few How to's in the guides section.

Installation Guide: Windows + Ubuntu BOINC installation walk through Ubuntu client optimized for multisocket rigs BOINC client optimized for multisocket machines [Linux] CentOS CentOS 7 BOINC Install Guides

When attaching to WCG you use the user name instead of the email address. This is the only BOINC project that does this.

In this challenge, bunkering is allowed. However, at WCG you might only get maybe up to 4 days of cached work IIRC. However, some people will use a work around to download more work by using a line in their cc_config.xml file that basically lies to the BOINC client telling it they have more CPU cores than they really do. So, if you are going to bunker keep that in mind. If you need help setting it up, just chime in and we can walk you through it pretty easy.

Most systems should be able to complete work within deadlines. CEP2 has not had work for a while. HSTB has very little work. So, make sure you have your settings to pull other work. Towards the end, people may want to focus on OET and Zika as the work units are shorter. UGM is estimated to only have about 17 more days of work available. So, odds are it won't matter. OET and MCM both have about half a year's worth of work left.

This challenge is CPU based ONLY but you can also use Android devices. They may not put out a lot but every little bit counts and they tend to be more energy efficient.

Last edited:
Count me in. I noticed that in my systems (mostly running E5-2695v2) I get slightly more PPD for FAAH2 since this project does not seem to have a quorum of 2. Though it takes 9-10 hours (can't remember exactly) to complete, may bunker on this :LOL:. Not sure what others see. Also, if I'm lucky I may setup another CPU rig (not the 2p, 4p or anything fancy) for this challenge. Still WIP.

Current credit/hour according to sekerob's charts are:

CEP2 - not got work
MCM - 25.3
UGM - 25.44 - Only a couple weeks worth of work left.
OET - 24.8
FAH2 - 25.77 - uses a trickle up effect and would not be good for bunkering
HST - 25.47 - has very little work available
Zika - 26.02

Those numbers will fluctuate, but that should give an idea of current expectations. If you plan on bunkering for the event... make sure to do a test run. You will find that you won't be able to cache 10 days worth without having some other preparation. They do limit the number of work units one can cache based on number of cores. I do not recall off hand how many that is, but usually only a couple days worth.

If you are bunkering, there are a few techniques you can use.
1. add a line to your cc_config.xml file with <ncpus>N</ncpus> replacing the N with the number of cores you want BOINC to think you have. This will make BOINC try to fill the cache as if you had a different number of cores even if you don't have them. After filling that cache, you will want to change it back or BOINC will try to run that many work units and will saturate your system.

2. Use virtual machines. Fill each cache to its max and then shut it down. When you have enough VM's for your maximized bunker, then start running the work from the first VM. Make sure the networking is disable so that it doesn't report. When that work is complete, start the next VM and do the same. When the time comes for the competition to begin, turn networking back on. You will need to unload each VM. Make sure to set them to No New Work or you will download more when you don't want them.

Edit: All Inclusive DC Project list WCG allows 35 tasks per core or thread.

Last edited:
UGM's research page says less than 2 weeks. If all projects are selected, a large percent will be MCM as it has a pretty high weighting. That should have plenty of work for bunkering.

He seems to have 90% of our team output at the moment, so hopefully he'll keep them on during the challenge. I'm not fiddling with my 3 servers to set up bunkering or anything like that, I apologize, but I should have about doubled my output by adding the 4 2670s, maybe more, so hopefully that helps. I should be seeing results from those by today.

We are roughly 2 weeks away. ~15 days UGM has finished and only has the occasional resend.

Latest update: 63 teams have participated in this challenge.
We are now within the 10 days when the challenge will officially commence. OET and OpenZika have 10 days dateline. See Gilthanis post#2 and #4 for bunkering question. Good luck.

Last edited:
We have less than 2 days to go. Looks like brilon/plext0r's production has gone back down. Hopefully he is able to ramp it back up.

Last edited:
The challenge is a go. I won't be able to stay on top of it as my wife gave birth to a baby boy last night. Have fun guys and as always, if you have any questions feel free to post them. :)

Oh, and we have started out in 14th. Get those rigs a going.
https://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/stats_team_all.php?proj=wcg&lang=en

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/user/list/0/0/1411/#11

Congratulations!!!!! Hope and pray Moma and baby are doing fine and are healthy
My daughter just had a baby girl!! I"m a grandpa again.

Congrats to both of you!!!

P.S. I'm "pushing" the rigs really hard but I can't catch up with the big boys...

The challenge is a go. I won't be able to stay on top of it as my wife gave birth to a baby boy last night. Have fun guys and as always, if you have any questions feel free to post them. :)

Congrats to you on your new baby. Have fun and enjoy fatherhood, I am an empty nester and I miss my children everyday

On the second day, we are currently at 15th position. Team China is way ahead of every team and seems unstoppable.

Here is the individual team contribution stats from yesterday and last two days.

Keep crunching folks...

Congrats man!

Our daughter just hit the one month mark yesterday. Luckily all my rigs were more or less stable before we went to the hospital. I haven't had to touch them much since.

Where did plext0r go anyway?

We had a happy and healthy little boy. We just got home. I think I'm already hitting it with most of what I can run right now. Not sure where plext0r is right now, but he had mentioned possibly not being able to keep up the contributions he has in the past.

Trying to get WGC installed on my Linux box over SSH. Not having much luck. Got as far as this command.

git clone git://boinc.berkeley.edu/boinc-v2.git boinc_source/

Returns this:
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/boinc/boinc_source/.git/
boinc.berkeley.edu[0: 208.68.240.115]: errno=Connection refused
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)

CentOS 6.3 is my OS
Using this install guide: https://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041469800#post1041469800

Help? Don't have very many days left.

Skillz, great to have you on board.(y) Hope you can get your rig up and running soon.

With less than 3 days to go, we dropped one place to 16th.

Here is the individual team contribution stats.

It's just a dual quad core rig I am setting up for it right now. My 48-core 4P rig wont be ready before it's over. Still got some supplies I need to get it up and running.

I tossed my gaming rig back online, too. It doesn't produce much though.

I give up. I can't get it to work. Got other shit I need to be doing.

No problem. It is the effort that counts.

If you are running OpenZika, there is no more tasks since early this morning. Might want to switch to OET, FAAH2 or MCM...

Just found out this morning on my rigs. Lost about 8 hours of production based on the BOINC event log.

If you check the box "If there is no work available for the project(s) I have selected above, please send me work from another project." , it would prevent that problem...lol

It's a good idea. It's my "old habit" as I didn't expect WCG (same as PG) to run out of WUs. First time always:D

There seems to be WUs again. I have a 12 hour gap though where I had no WUs downloaded.

We finished a decent 16th place out of a total of 83 teams. During this 7-day challenge, our team contributed a total of 12.47M WCG points or about 1.78M BOINC points to the research.

Below is the overall pie chart based on BOINCstats "Credit/week" column. There will be some missing data from today's contribution (about half a day output) but close enough. Thanks to you all for participating and hope to see more participants in the BOINC pentathlon challenge in May 2017, IIRC.
upload_2016-11-22_21-9-20.png

That pie chart looks wrong. No way am am I not in the top 5.

Brilong hasn't done anything in over a year.

Fastgeek isn't even the top user. Or Phoenicis

No problemo.

It is getting harder to hang on to the top 5 contributors at the rate you guys are going... but I'm glad that I'm able to finish at 5th in 2017 challenge.:D

Back