wc blocks for 5870 1gb and 2gb

Ebisan

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if the full coverage waterblocks for the 1gb 5870 works on the 2gb. Tried search for the board layout comparing both but couldn't find it. Thanks.

OP - Probably not. The 2 gig versions will likely require new revisions for the blocks.

As for a good block recommendation, the EK blocks are great. High quality, good looks and selection of materials, low restriction and excellent performance.

Wanted to pick this thread back up... There are a lot of people now getting either 2GB Eyefinity 6 or 2GB Vapor-X 5870s (myself included) who want to watercool. Anyone who has had experience with this yet please chime in.

The waterblocks built on the reference design are not compatible with the non-reference boards for the most part (I'd say all the time, but I haven't seen every non-reference board to know). Although some parts are in the same place, most of the parts are moved enough so that it doesn't match up with waterblock.
EK released a specific waterblock for the non-reference eyefinity boards because their standard boards wouldn't fit. I think you'll find the same for most of the boards.

I have a Sapphire 5870 e6. I installed a reference EK full coverage waterblock with the EK backplate. Installed with no issues. Originally I tried the Swiftech MCW60r2 with the 5870 heatsink. The heatsink does not work. It has an extra threaded nub at the top where the memory would hit. I had to grind it down to clear the memory. But the standoffs were slightly too short for some reason (didn't come with spacers). So that's when I went with EK. Should have done it in the first place. Idles 34-40C (depending on ambient (getting hotter)).. Under load it gets to 60C. Stock cooler, I was at idling at 51C and around 80C.

Temps sound a little hot to me (could be just the difference in set up of course). I'm idling at 30-31C and hitting just shy of 40C into load. Could your reference waterblock not be sitting flush with your non-reference board?

Last edited:
Back