Waze Makes Driving in California More Fun and Exciting

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I love Waze. I use it every single time I get in the truck. However, it seems that California drivers are getting some added benefits that not yet been extended to drivers in the rest of the country. Waze's new ExcitaFire DeathDrive feature has just what those thrill seekers are looking for.

LOS ANGELES—Users of popular navigation apps like Waze are warning the services directed them to neighborhoods where wildfires forced closures and evacuations.

Skynet is here, it's trying to kill humans by tricking them into driving into fire.

When you live in the middle of the Haliburton Highlands GPS aps always think you're off road.

Mind you, there's only two roads anywhere even remotely near us.

They're both dead ends.

Tough to get lost.

to be fair- its an app that gives you directions and with some user input can tell you there may be stuff ahead on the road, accidents, cops, whatever. its not designed to report all road conditions and account for them in the directions too.

and... these are not small fires. they're freakin huge. if you cant tell there is a god damned hellmouth that you're approaching based on tons of people running the other way, insanely large columns of smoke and flames. you probably shouldnt be cleared to operate a motor vehicle anyway because youve already proven you're an idiot.

meh.. I use Waze all the time when driving.. but I also don't rely on it. There are a lot of times I ignore the route it wants me to take because I know when I get to the interchange in 15 minutes.. it won't be the quickest route anymore. I like that it is "user driven" to en extent but sometimes is seems it is too reliant on crowd-sourcing and could really benefit by tying directly into local traffic and police updates.
One other problem I have with the crowd-sourcing aspect is that the driving population seems to get used to certain bottlenecks and not report them. For example, in Houston a lot of times during evening commute hours no one will report that northbound on the west side of Beltway 8 is slow unless everything is at a crawl. Same thing with northbound on I-59. When no one reports light/medium traffic it changes commute times and calculations drastically.

Yeah but there's literally no traffic in those areas, so it's good!

Flip a coin, you want to be in LA traffic, or have a wild fire burning around you? As you can see, really hard choice.

I had this same shit happen during hurricane harvey. The damn waze app ALWAYS would lead me to a road that was flooded or inevitably closed. Problem is once you got there, 10 million other cars were behind you and it could take HOURS just to backtrack a mile...

Fun times, thanks Waze.

Back