Waze Could Face Trouble In Brazil

HardOCP News

[H] News
This article is about proposed legislation in Brazil that could cause a lot of trouble for Waze but I can't get over the name of the politician that introduced the bill. Are you ready for this? His name is Major Fabio. I swear, I didn't make that up. :D

By connecting drivers to each other, Google-owned Waze allows motorists to warn one another of car crashes and traffic backups, but also if there are police officers or radars nearby. The bill introduced by Brazilian congressman Major Fabio was originally submitted in 2013 and intends to alter national traffic laws to ban any Waze-like tools. It was approved by the Chamber of Deputies' Committee on Science and Technology, Communication and Informatics last week.

Obviously this is because Waze is a great tool to thwart police giving tickets. And as we know, giving motorists tickets is a great source of revenue. Cause you know, owning a car isn't already a huge money pit.

Side note, I'm surprised Google owns Waze, cause it's like 10x better than Google Maps. It's stable, runs smoother on older devices, and allows the community to alert each other on road conditions.

Brazil uses mostly traffic/speed enforcement cameras. Once they all got put into waze, they wouldn't make any money.

Side note, I'm surprised Google owns Waze, cause it's like 10x better than Google Maps. It's stable, runs smoother on older devices, and allows the community to alert each other on road conditions.

No kidding. I didn't know they owned it either. It's only need about a month since I found the app and I've definitely need missing out.

I used to like Waze then in the past year or so it turned into a complete cluster fuck, telling me to go on obscure as all hell fucking routes. I thought on one trip to SoCal it telling me to cross over multiple freeways it was being super awesome by rerouting me around a major back up ... now I"m not so sure.

Back