Ways to legally obtain Windows 7 x64 right now?

KenG10

Gawd
Hi all, I really want to give windows 7 a go. I currently have Vista x64 running on the PC in my sig. I'm wondering if there are any avenues I can go down to get Windows 7 x64 legally right now? Or must I wait until official release date? I'm not part of any launch party, or MSDN, or anything like that. Thanks for your input. :)

Ahhh yes, this I forgot about! Hmmm, I might give this a spin. :cool: Thank you.

running the 32 bit now myself, 64 bit seems to have some more issues to work out from what i have read :) that and i dont have any real need or use anything daily that would even benefit from 64 bit OS'es :)

running the 32 bit now myself, 64 bit seems to have some more issues to work out from what i have read :) that and i dont have any real need or use anything daily that would even benefit from 64 bit OS'es :)

Seriously? After all this time we still have people spreading FUD?

Please, if you think there are issues with 64bit OS's STILL, keep it to yourself, you will benefit all of us.

Well, I have 6GB of memory, so nobody_here, I need 64bit OS. I agree, criccio :rolleyes:

Please, if you think there are issues with 64bit OS's STILL, keep it to yourself, you will benefit all of us.

no need to flame me, im repeating what i have read, 64bit Vista was really good but it DID have it's limitations when compared to Vista x86, i ran both, i didn't say x64 7 was bad, only that it tends to have more issues than x86 7.......easy there x64 crusader!!! ;)

Fine then, we don't need people blindly "repeating what they have read" while those who know and use the product everyday know it to be plain false. (read: FUD).

MSDNAA if your college provides it and you're in college

Fine then, we don't need people blindly "repeating what they have read" while those who know and use the product everyday know it to be plain false. (read: FUD).

ok, you went way too far with your comments, you saw red when there was none to be seen, i solved this guys problem in the first reply, no need to stir the proverbial shit with your love for x64 7, i didn't say it's bad, i just said i heard it still had some issues, which compared to x86 7 it does, which is natural for x64 OS support no matter how much you dont want to believe it...good riddance

64 bit seems to have some more issues to work out from what i have read :) that and i dont have any real need or use anything daily that would even benefit from 64 bit OS'es :)

Oh FFS! Enough with the "Everybody should use 64-bit" evangalism, hey huh?

x64 DOES still have 'issues' for some people, without a doubt. I'm still toying with the idea of reverting one x64 install to an x86 install, because x64 Windows 7 doesn't successfully run my wife's favourite Mah Johnng game. For that machine the game is a 'critical application'.

Blanket claims simply aren't useful!

, i just said i heard it still had some issues, which compared to x86 7 it does, which is natural for x64 OS support no matter how much you dont want to believe it...good riddance

I believe myself and anyone else reading this would like you to prove it right about now.... :rolleyes: Most of has have been running a 64bit OS since Vista 64 was released without a single 64bit related "problem".

I don't even remember what this thread was about because the last reply was almost a week ago. You brought this thread back from the dead why?

I just don't like people spreading mis-information, a completely logical outlook. This entire forum is all about the progression of 64bit OS's and shooting down the FUD and here you come "stirring the pot" as you say.

no need to flame me, im repeating what i have read, 64bit Vista was really good but it DID have it's limitations when compared to Vista x86, i ran both, i didn't say x64 7 was bad, only that it tends to have more issues than x86 7.......easy there x64 crusader!!! ;)

Back it up then.

you cant be serious...i have better things to do with my time than try to recap all of my personal experiences with x64 vs. x86 OS'es.....x64 OS'es have always had more limitations, especially but not limited to software and drivers....is it multitudes better than it used to be in the days of Windows XP? absolutely, is the change from x86 to x64 transparent? absolutely not, there's too much data out there for people to get for themselves to see where those limitations are, me posting my experiences from memory or linking to them won't change the facts.....so no thanks, i can't be bothered

How can it have more limitations? First off, Vista drivers were released for both platforms, by any company worth your money. Windows 7 has been making the drivers available for both platforms as well. Secondly, x64 can use all of 4 GBs of memory and then some. x86 cannot. So, tell me where the limitations lie?

The issue people are taking with you isn't because you had some complaints about x64....its because you keep referencing what you read somewhere, and not actual points or issues. I read somewhere that aliens exist and are walking around among us...but I certainly wouldn't enter an argument and use that as proof.

I have always heard that the 64 bit version of XP wasnt all that fantastic due to drivers, etc

But since Vista 64 to Win 7 64, I have found them both to be awesome, without any issues at all..

you cant be serious...i have better things to do with my time than try to recap all of my personal experiences with x64 vs. x86 OS'es.....x64 OS'es have always had more limitations, especially but not limited to software and drivers....is it multitudes better than it used to be in the days of Windows XP? absolutely, is the change from x86 to x64 transparent? absolutely not, there's too much data out there for people to get for themselves to see where those limitations are, me posting my experiences from memory or linking to them won't change the facts.....so no thanks, i can't be bothered

So you can't back up your claims?

Great.

Great.

while not nobody_here's claim,

because x64 Windows 7 doesn't successfully run my wife's favourite Mah Johnng game. For that machine the game is a 'critical application'.

I think you all need to stop telling people what is best for them.

just because YOU think x64 is the the best, doesn't mean it fits for everybody.

it's like telling somebody how to live their life.

Let them do what the hell they please to do.

and I'm sure there are still glitches out there on x64 machines, even if it is NOT a problem with the OS, the issue may still exist. mmmmkay?

I think you all need to stop telling people what is best for them.

There's a big difference between telling someone what's best for them, and clearing up misconceptions and misleading information.

There's a big difference between telling someone what's best for them, and clearing up misconceptions and misleading information.

true.

but saying x64 is perfect, is like saying OSX is perfect. It may be for some people, but not for everybody.

is it possible there are still issues with x64? bet your ass there could be.

just because YOU (not you, just a generalized YOU) haven't had issues, does not mean somebody else will not.

so, just because I read on another forum that somebody's having issues with x64, I should disregard that and consider it FUD, because people on this forum have had no issues?

that's the basic jist of what gets spewed out here... a lot. That x64 is perfect, because people on this forum have had no issues. So just because I read somewhere else that somebody was having issues, they're just a Microsoft hater that's spreading FUD.

Frankly, I wish the anti-x64 zealots would go away. Making vague claims like "I read that it has bad compatibility" is horse manure and zealotry. Bad compatibility with what? When did the problem happen? "It was bad in 2007" is not a valid reason to shoot down looking at it in 2009.

Making concrete claims, like Catweazle did, on the other hand, is perfectly fine. If something you need (regardless of how trivial it may seem to other people) doesn't work, then obviously do what does work. The x64 situation has changed from "generally people have bad experiences, so watch out" (I lived through that myself with Vista x64) to "generally people have good experiences, so it's more than likely you should be okay, but that's not an excuse to not do your research." I firmly believe the burden of proof is on those saying x64 doesn't work, because they tend to be the exception, rather than the rule. It does happen, and if it's for a legitimate reason that's dandy. But I reiterate that I have no patience or sympathy for those who make claims about "bad drivers" or "incompatible devices" without specifying what, exactly, does not work.

And I will go out and say I'm going to tell all of you what is best for you: Everyone should have accurate and complete information on the state of software/hardware when they make a decision on what OS to run, not make snap-judgments based on vapid claims that someone can't be bothered to back up with evidence when challenged.

I feel like proponents of x64 are being accused of "evangelism" for calling out weak, unsubstantiated (read: not Catweazle) claims made by those who seem to think x64 is the equivalent of Windows ME.

Last edited:
There's a lot of keys on eBay for very cheap right now.

Match the ISO checksums with one you've found on the Internet and there you go.

Great.

I couldn't use x64 Vista at work because both VPN clients we use (Cisco VPN and Netmotion) do not work in x64. Had to install 32bit. That was a pretty huge limitation, but the only one I can think of.

Cisco has new VPN software that works in x64, but the licensing is different.

My home PC's are all x64 except my netbook... no issues at all.

It will be interesting to see how much the "XP Mode" workaround helps with compatibility. If it works as designed, barring any business apps which require heavy graphical acceleration, there should be no issues at all. Note, however, I'm not claiming there will be no issues, only saying "if it always works as designed, THEN there should be no issues."

Frankly, I wish the anti-x64 zealots would go away.

Frankly, I wish the pro-x64 zealots would go away too! I hate zealots because they're mindless/blinkered in their protestations and claims.

Here's another 'for example':

I've seen people here and elsewhere stating that they've ditched x64 for their media machines because of 'incompatibilities', and seen that met with a lot of hoo-hah about codecs and whatnot else. And here's me, following a thread over at Technet forums where some people are having all sorts of bother trying to use 7 x64 on machines connected up to a particular 50" plasma display. It's one of those 'not quite high definition' displays that does up to 1366x768 resolution, and under Windows 7 it doesn't get correctly identified and won't do its full resolution. You could 'force' an XP monitor driver if it's x86 Windows, but you can't do that on x64 Windows.

There ARE incompatibilites which are deal-breakers for some people! The 'zealots' don't accept that!

You can get Windows 7 through a TechNet subscription; though not immediately since it might take a couple days before you can log on and get your serial keys and ISO files. Just be aware that it's supposed to be for "evaluation and testing" use only by the subscriber.

Yes, it's transparent now. I haven't run into an "x64 limitation" in 3 years. Let me know how you redesign reality when you need more than 3.5gb of memory.

I think he has a valid point though. 64bit is not more buggier then 32bit. It's just that there are 1 or 2 softwares that are being stuborn by not releasing 64bit compatible software. So i think this was what he mean't ..... in that case... yes you will need to stick to 32bit if you really need those software.

However for my case, the majority aren't like that so i rather stick to 64bit and be able to use more then 2gigs worth of ram and better speeds for my appzs.

If you want 64bit you will need to get professional retail from what i heard ;)

Oh FFS! Enough with the "Everybody should use 64-bit" evangalism, hey huh?

x64 DOES still have 'issues' for some people, without a doubt. I'm still toying with the idea of reverting one x64 install to an x86 install, because x64 Windows 7 doesn't successfully run my wife's favourite Mah Johnng game. For that machine the game is a 'critical application'.

Blanket claims simply aren't useful!

Seriously? A Mahjohnng game? And it doesn't run under Vista SP2/SP1 or XP SP3/SP2/SP1 compatibility modes? I mean, I can run Heroes of Might and Magic 3, a WIN95 game, on Win7.

I'm not arguing with you, I know some games won't work right, but have you tried all of the compatibility modes? What year was the game made?

There's a lot of keys on eBay for very cheap right now.

Match the ISO checksums with one you've found on the Internet and there you go.

Seriously? Yeah, buying a non-transferrable, non-sellable MSDNAA key or the like - that's smart.

Seriously? A Mahjohnng game? And it doesn't run under Vista SP2/SP1 or XP SP3/SP2/SP1 compatibility modes? I mean, I can run Heroes of Might and Magic 3, a WIN95 game, on Win7.

I'm not arguing with you, I know some games won't work right, but have you tried all of the compatibility modes? What year was the game made?

I wasn't joking and I'm not incapable. The machine is primarily there for my wife's use, and the game is her 'most wanted' recreational activity on the PC. You can't get much more 'critical application' than that, I'm afraid!

Under Windows 7 x64 RTM the game installs and runs. As soon as it uses 3D graphics the display of the game program window corrupts and it becomes unplayable. That does not occur under Windows 7 x86, and 'compatibility' settings have no impact whatsoever on it. The problem may or may not be a display driver issue. It may or may not be corrected in a future display driver revision. But that's an irrelevence at this point in time. Simple fact is that the game is unusable.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and the driver support is flawless. 7 x64 is leagues ahead of where Vista x64 left off, and XP x64 was a joke. But its nearly 2010, and I get nothing but a belly chuckle anytime I read someone trying to explain that x86 is better than x64.

These people simply do not know what they are talking about, and are either joke posters or incredibly misinformed.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and the driver support is flawless.

You've tried and had success with every single component and peripheral in existence, have you? Or are you ASSUMING that driver support is 'flawless' just because all the components/peripherals you own are supported?

Driver support is most definitely NOT 'flawless'!

I was yesterday helping a fellow who was trying to transition from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit Windows, and who was having difficulty with 3 components - a soundcard, a photo/document scanner, and a film scanner. 64-bit windows 7 failed to recognise and install any of them. I was able to get two of them installed by manually installing windows Vista drivers. The third is completely unsupported under any 64-bit Windows version.

The claim that driver support is 'flawless' is completely and utterly ridiculous!

I'm happy I still have a 32-bit Vista install - stuff keeps coming up that doesn't have 64-bit compatibility (7 x64 on my main machine).

While I'll keep the x64 edition around, it's not as simple as "just make the leap and have faith" which seems to be the attitude of many.

It's well known that the 4GB memory limit is an artificial limit set by MS and not inherent to the architecture - MS enables > 4GB addressing for Windows Server 32-bit but not for Windows desktop 32-bit.

You've tried and had success with every single component and peripheral in existence, have you? Or are you ASSUMING that driver support is 'flawless' just because all the components/peripherals you own are supported?

I was yesterday helping a fellow who was trying to transition from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit Windows, and who was having difficulty with 3 components - a soundcard, a photo/document scanner, and a film scanner. 64-bit windows 7 failed to recognise and install any of them. I was able to get two of them installed by manually installing windows Vista drivers. The third is completely unsupported under any 64-bit Windows version.

The claim that driver support is 'flawless' is completely and utterly ridiculous!

I agree with you Catweazle.
I said it before, I'll say it again. Just because YOU don't have any issues, does NOT mean they are non-existant.

All too often I keep hearing "there's no reason to stick with x86 anymore!" are you psychic and know exactly what hardware and software the person is using that you're suggesting it to?

ok... I'm done, since the original post was on any possible way to legally obtain a disc

If you applied for and were accepted to host a Windows 7 Launch Party via houseparty.com, all party hosts received a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate which included both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions.

Ok. Back on topic. I signed up for the 90 trial. I am directed to the W7 download page, yet I can't find the download link. Can someone point it out to me? Thanks.

Ok. Back on topic. I signed up for the 90 trial. I am directed to the W7 download page, yet I can't find the download link. Can someone point it out to me? Thanks.

you have to fill out a small one page questionairre before the download link is made available to you

I'm confused now. Anyway I have installed Win 7 on 3 machines, 2 were NF4 and win7 found everything. While I was on the net looking for something I was reading at different forums about how people were pissed at not getting NF4 chipset support for Win7 from Nvidia.:confused: I didn't realize how many different NF4 chipsets Nvidia made.:rolleyes:
So here we have different makes of M/B using the same chipset and people blame Win 7 or Nvidia for their problems. People need to learn what makes their machine tick.

Back