Waymo Cars Queue to Navigate a Dead End on a San Francisco Street

you guys get the difference between merging and yielding right?!
at a merge both cars are supposed to be at responsible; the one merging matches speed as best as possible, the one travelling straight speed up or slows down to allow them to merge safely
at a yield, the "merging" car stops until they can go safely, traveling traffic does not have to yield to them.

That's actually a huge point of confusion.

In most (all?) of Europe a highway onramp is treated like what you call merging above. It is the responsibility of the vehicle traveling in the rightmost lane to adjust speed to let someone in.

In the U.S. - however - the person in the rightmost lane has the absolute right of way over the merging ramp.

I know it's anecdotal and I live in a city in Oregon that's considered one of the most bike friendly cities in the country, but about 3/4 of our employees bike or walk to work.

We are actively hostile to cars though.

That's actually a huge point of confusion.

In most (all?) of Europe a highway onramp is treated like what you call merging above. It is the responsibility of the vehicle traveling in the rightmost lane to adjust speed to let someone in.

In the U.S. - however - the person in the rightmost lane has the absolute right of way over the merging ramp.
I don't know where did you get that information. It is the same in Europe the car travelling on the highway has right of way. Onramps even have yield signs to reinforce that the people traveling at highway speeds have right of way. But even without the yield sign, the car travelling straight (ie. without changing lanes) has the right of way over someone who has to merge into the traffic lane from an onramp. It is the responsibility of the person going on the onramp to match the speed of traffic on the highway, not the other way around.

...if you try to propose it as viable alternative to more than a tiny minority of the population.

Shower at work? I mean, how does that work? Do you pack work clothes? An iron?

I understand that weirdo tech companies have dropped all sense of decorum in the office, but I could't do it, and I don't even wear suits to work.

Riding a bike to work in pressed dress pants and a button down shirt just wouldn't be a winning combo, and I couldn't justify throwing them in a backpack and putting them on at work, they'd be all messed up, crushed and wrinkled by the time I got there.
I think dress codes in offices are stupid unless you are dealing with customers face to face. But after covid most offices seem stupid in their entirety as it turns out most people can do 90% of their work from home. So it would be enough to go to the office once a week. But I digress. Before the pandemic I used to bike to work 2-3 times a week, for years.

Back