Way To Fold [H]orde!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh..........

At least it is good for our pursuit of knowledge, right?

I saw that and it did throw me off for a short while until I realized that it is Sept 1st, the beginning of another month.

ugh, they did 11.2mil yesterday. I see their #1 producer almost doubled his output yesterday as well.
I know... :confused:

paid to fold program restarts every month.
There's this time zone challenge they're having that commenced on the first. The thing with challenges is the same number of people that were on the team before are involved, just regrouped themselves for a competition. This is an intra-team competition not an inter-team competition, which means no new recruits joined that wouldn't ordinarily join unlike the CC, or simply through their rewards program.

Given that, where in the heck did they pull a 4M PPD rabbit out of in only 24H! More significantly, why weren't these resources deployed prior at least in part? It plain makes no sense to me. The difference between the day before and the day after is fully two-thirds our current production with no new members in that period. Indeed, if one glances their active member stats there appears a steady decline over the past few weeks: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_users.php?s=&t=111065

It just defies logic or at least the rules governing logic I've been accustomed to...

Last edited:
EVGA probably rented out some server time somewhere at a high end datacenter as they undoubtedly got sick of waiting to pass us. I'd love to return the favor if I could.

EVGA probably rented out some server time somewhere at a high end datacenter as they undoubtedly got sick of waiting to pass us. I'd love to return the favor if I could.

We have to be very careful when we make statements like that. There is absolutely no proof this is the case, and it in fact could be a combination of many different factors that had a combined effect. We know that it is the first of the month, which brings back the people who only fold for the eVGA bucks. We know that there is a competition within their team right now, which means that some people are bringing online a lot more resources. We also know that eVGA is very aggressively marketing their folding program.

We have to be very careful when we make statements like that. There is absolutely no proof this is the case, and it in fact could be a combination of many different factors that had a combined effect. We know that it is the first of the month, which brings back the people who only fold for the eVGA bucks. We know that there is a competition within their team right now, which means that some people are bringing online a lot more resources. We also know that eVGA is very aggressively marketing their folding program.

Yes, I should be more careful as there is no proof other than the PPD spike which like you indicated could be caused by a combination of things. Still, its a huge spike. Looking back along their ppd history they've never had quite the increase like this even at the beginning of a month...but I'll keep my mouth shut going forward.

Go [H]orde!

AMD hit it on the head with the hammer. EVGA wouldnt rent server time as a company for folding, the only time they would have done that was the CC. It wouldnt make sense to do it now. Since the only reason the company is involved (read COMPANY) is for marketing, renting server time for an internal contest is pointless. They would stand to gain a marketing gain if they did it during the CC since that is multi team but any other time is just a waste for them. EVGA won't put anymore money into folding than they have too. Yea, they sinl thousands into their bucks programs and race to 1st contest, but ine the scheme of marketing folding is their cheapest venture I'd bet, and based on the nature of the program, probly gets the most interest going since It's a good cause. But EVGA won't waste any money moving the overtake up a few weeks at most, they know its only a matter of 2-3 months tops, and in the mean time the longer it takes the more bucks they give out which inturn forces people to pay a much higher ratio of their own dollars to use those bucks in EVGA stores.

The whole EVGA involvement is actually quite genious from a marketing stand point, sry for spelling, too late at work, up almost 24 hrs and I still got 14 more on the clock and an hour drive home to contend with.. then again tomorrow

Yes, I should be more careful as there is no proof other than the PPD spike which like you indicated could be caused by a combination of things. Still, its a huge spike. Looking back along their ppd history they've never had quite the increase like this even at the beginning of a month...but I'll keep my mouth shut going forward.

Go [H]orde!

other then we have the same spikes 2 or 3 times a month.. we will go from 4 million PPD to 9 million then back to 4 million.. couple weeks later we get another 9 million point spike then back to our normal avg.. its just those freak occurances when everyones bigadv clients + the beta testers WU's update all on the same day.. some of the beta/alpha WU's are doing 175k+ points per WU.. so it adds up..

I would normally agree with you wholeheartedly, but my reasoning mind is grasping for some benefit of doubt, and it's proving increasingly elusive. I'm not casting judgment yet but it certainly bears some scrutiny although benefit of the doubt will always be granted until proven otherwise.

Nevertheless, this time it is a gargantuan spike and it's way too sudden even for a team like EVGA to achieve. Look how long it required for us to build up whatever we managed to accomplish, it sure wasn't in 24H! In previous occasions, there was some secondary indicators such as a commensurate increase in members. Virtually all of this new production is produced with existing members, or so it appears.

It begs the question, why weren't they using this incredible untapped resource earlier to be done with us once and for all...? I mean seriously, it's apparently readily available within a moment's reach from all appearances... /shrug

I would normally agree with you wholeheartedly, but my reasoning mind is grasping for some benefit of doubt, and it's proving increasingly elusive. I'm not casting judgment yet but it certainly bears some scrutiny although benefit of the doubt will always be granted until proven otherwise.

Nevertheless, this time it is a gargantuan spike and it's way too sudden even for a team like EVGA to achieve. Look how long it required for us to build up whatever we managed to accomplish, it sure wasn't in 24H! In previous occasions, there was some secondary indicators such as a commensurate increase in members. Virtually all of this new production is produced with existing members, or so it appears.

It begs the question, why weren't they using this incredible untapped resource earlier to be done with us once and for all...? I mean seriously, it's apparently readily available within a moment's reach from all appearances... /shrug

its 1 update.. wait til tomorrow if it goes back to 8 million then its fluke.. if it spikes again in 3-4 days then you know something it up..

its 1 update.. wait til tomorrow if it goes back to 8 million then its fluke.. if it spikes again in 3-4 days then you know something it up..
Will do, you're right it could be just one day's update and I might be overreacting because it's late, LOL... :eek:

plus alot of these guys have larger farms they arent using due to heat, but with that iner team contest, Im sure its safe to reason that since they timed their WU launch during the CC they are doing it again, just against eachother this time, a good theory

If they've been sitting on this much horsepower, they're going to really be cooking this winter.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

ugh, they did 11.2mil yesterday. I see their #1 producer almost doubled his output yesterday as well.

He expected his output to be around 700k PPD, since he was burning in some servers at work.

He expected his output to be around 700k PPD, since he was burning in some servers at work.
that, combined with their bucks program, etc, leads to a big spike I guess.

Either way, it's strange

Some of you may remember most dont. before we where #1 we had close to double the active members we do now. everyone was fighting to get us to the top. the forums did more in a hour than we do in 2 days now. once we hit first place there was no fight to win (as fare as points anyway) once evga passes us there gonna lose a lot of members just like we did. How many who know's? One thing is for sure we have the best group bar none. we need just one of us addict's to hit the big lotto!

Hi guys, I just joined the team a few days ago...I am folding with two GTX 460s in SLI and one GT 240. 40,000 points in the past few days....not too bad, but not mind blowing either. Anyway, I might be a "newbie" on the forum, but I used to be active in the old [H] forum long ago...I'm back, but just mainly to fold for the team/cause.

Hi guys, I just joined the team a few days ago...I am folding with two GTX 460s in SLI and one GT 240. 40.000 points in the past few days....not too bad, but not mind blowing either. Anyway, I might be a "newbie" on the forum, but I used to be active in the old [H] forum long ago...I'm back, but just mainly to fold for the team/cause.

Good to have you back! And 40k ppd is very good!

Hi guys, I just joined the team a few days ago...I am folding with two GTX 460s in SLI and one GT 240. 40.000 points in the past few days....not too bad, but not mind blowing either. Anyway, I might be a "newbie" on the forum, but I used to be active in the old [H] forum long ago...I'm back, but just mainly to fold for the team/cause.

We are glad to have you!

If it's 1k ppd or 100k ppd.

Fold on!

40K in the past few days, not PPD, LOL...took me a few days to get everything working correctly. Hell, I still haven't fully gone through HFM.NET yet...just got SLI folding working correctly today. Is it worth using the CPU client vs the GPU client? I have a dual G34 system that I am building, a couple of dual opteron systems, but none of them have a great video card to fold proteins. I know it's OT a bit...

40K in the past few days, not PPD, LOL...took me a few days to get everything working correctly. Hell, I still haven't fully gone through HFM.NET yet...just got SLI folding working correctly today. Is it worth using the CPU client vs the GPU client? I have a dual G34 system that I am building, a couple of dual opteron systems, but none of them have a great video card to fold proteins. I know it's OT a bit...
Oh, right. So your 460s and GT240 probably will average around 25k ppd I'd imagine.

um, yeah those CPU folding systems would be great. What are their specs?

10e on our team has a dual g34 system producing around 50k ppd iirc.

Post a new thread!

Those three GPUs should be good for at least 22K PPD. The SMP -bigadv client should run nicely on the dual G34 system, and the standard SMP client should also generate a lot of points on the other Opterons. In general, a lot of people are moving to SMP thanks to the bonus system that offers a lot of points without the electricity usage of GPUs. I run both.

You're actually in much better shape than you may believe! Those system you are building will be far more capable of folding performance than your GPUs if you run the SMP2 client and use the -bigadv flag as SazanEyes mentioned above. Combined total will be way above 40k PPD. Welcome to the [H]orde! :cool:

Last edited:
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know our spike is purely the intra-team contest. It will be nice if we keep up the production after the contest ends, but a lot of guys who usually hold back for one reason or another have chipped in to their respective time zone team, to try to get a win. A ton of our members are contributing prizes out of their personal resources to get more participation. One person is even chipping in a 480. It is all in fun. If you want to see what we are doing and maybe try it here, take a look at this link.
https://sites.google.com/site/evgacontests/home
There are links to the teams, the agragate and the donated prizes. And....NO.... EVGA does not fold on servers for us at all. A few of their staff might fold for the team as they believe in the cause, but EVGA leaves the folding to the team.
Keep up the great work, brothers. :D

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know our spike is purely the intra-team contest. It will be nice if we keep up the production after the contest ends, but a lot of guys who usually hold back for one reason or another have chipped in to their respective time zone team, to try to get a win. A ton of our members are contributing prizes out of their personal resources to get more participation. One person is even chipping in a 480. It is all in fun. If you want to see what we are doing and maybe try it here, take a look at this link.
https://sites.google.com/site/evgacontests/home
There are links to the teams, the agragate and the donated prizes. And....NO.... EVGA does not fold on servers for us at all. A few of their staff might fold for the team as they believe in the cause, but EVGA leaves the folding to the team.
Keep up the great work, brothers. :D

thanks for the heads up and have fun with the contest.

Absolutely! You are actually in much better shape than you may believe! Those system you are building will be far more capable of folding performance than your GPUs if you run the SMP2 client and use the -bigadv flag as SazanEyes mentioned above. Combined total will be way above 40k PPD. Welcome to the [H]orde! :cool:

Thanks for the info guys. APOLLO, I remember you from the old forum, circa 2000-2001!!!...I feel lame that I can't add my folding HTML code to my signature... I think I should be grandfathered in...

Thanks for the info guys. APOLLO, I remember you from the old forum, circa 2000-2001!!!...I feel lame that I can't add my folding HTML code to my signature... I think I should be grandfathered in...

It be nice for us old dogs to get a few perks, but alas.....

Haha awesome! Welcome man!

You and 10e have my dream system which is a dual G34 system. 10e has the dual 1.9ghz 12 core processors and is producing 55k ppd with it. I absolutely cannot wait to see your dual G34 system come online, as that is what I wanted. I feel dirty for having 2 Intel based folding rigs even though i'm an AMD shareholder :eek:

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know our spike is purely the intra-team contest. It will be nice if we keep up the production after the contest ends, but a lot of guys who usually hold back for one reason or another have chipped in to their respective time zone team, to try to get a win.
From your explanation two things immediately arise to mind: that by and large existing members are the prime contest participants, and secondly, the hardware reserve you allude to is tremendously large at ~35%.

Normally and historically, for every other team to undergo such a large ramp it would be indicative of a considerable increase in active membership, let alone a spike so abrupt. The ramp, if we can describe it this way, is larger by itself than the total daily production of nearly every other folding team, and more than half this team’s current appreciated production; performance heretofore unseen or even unfathomed that no words of commendation can be ascribed to extol such a remarkable effort. Congratulations!

Inquiry: what magnetically attracts EVGA so many members who have at their disposal vast server farms? Why EVGA at such numbers and why those with access to the largest farms F@H likely has ever seen? Your #1 producer is capable of at least 1M PPD alone looking at the previous few days, and you’ve had others of like capabilities in the past. That quality of your team has fascinated me for quite some time.

A ton of our members are contributing prizes out of their personal resources to get more participation. One person is even chipping in a 480. It is all in fun.
We have also been offering free items. Our ramp is modest by comparison and required a far longer time. Once again well done.

And....NO.... EVGA does not fold on servers for us at all.
A few of their staff might fold for the team as they believe in the cause, but EVGA leaves the folding to the team.
You are a moderator at the EVGA forum, correct? I don’t wish for anyone to take my reply in any fashion disparagingly, because that is not my desire. Playing the Devil’s Advocate, there are several ways this could be accomplished that I could devise if ulterior intent actually existed, and no method to uncover it without an exhaustive, lengthy analysis of the results that would only come to light under the purview of third parties. All there is at our convenient disposal are the very stats themselves that to the fortune of everyone concerned remain inviolable.

This is just speculative rambling since EVGA corporation never employed its own assets, hired server farms or even benefited from loaned hardware in its history as a folding team, and no real reason exists to do so at any other occasion including presently. And therefore, any critical eye should be cast solely with a very open and accepting mind. Best of luck in the competition and overall team objectives.

Hi, yes, I believe I remember if you had the same or similar username. It has been a while! There are a few of us from that time still around but not many post much anymore. Looks like the tables are turned on us this time in regards to the team's predicament. I recall the bitter rivalry with ARS for #1, and essentially the same lively discussions on both forums are being repeated now but in reverse. I guess some lingering karma is being heavily dispensed, LOL..

From your explanation two things immediately arise to mind: that by and large existing members are the prime contest participants, and secondly, the hardware reserve you allude to is tremendously large at ~35%.

Normally and historically, for every other team to undergo such a large ramp it would be indicative of a considerable increase in active membership, let alone a spike so abrupt. The ramp, if we can describe it this way, is larger by itself than the total daily production of nearly every other folding team, and more than half this team’s current appreciated production; performance heretofore unseen or even unfathomed that no words of commendation can be ascribed to extol such a remarkable effort. Congratulations!

Inquiry: what magnetically attracts EVGA so many members who have at their disposal vast server farms? Why EVGA at such numbers and why those with access to the largest farms F@H likely has ever seen? Your #1 producer is capable of at least 1M PPD alone looking at the previous few days, and you’ve had others of like capabilities in the past. That quality of your team has fascinated me for quite some time.

We have also been offering free items. Our ramp is modest by comparison and required a far longer time. Once again well done.

You are a moderator at the EVGA forum, correct? I don’t wish for anyone to take my reply in any fashion disparagingly, because that is not my desire. Playing the Devil’s Advocate, there are several ways this could be accomplished that I could devise if ulterior intent actually existed, and no method to uncover it without an exhaustive, lengthy analysis of the results that would only come to light under the purview of third parties. All there is at our convenient disposal are the very stats themselves that to the fortune of everyone concerned remain inviolable.

This is just speculative rambling since EVGA corporation never employed its own assets, hired server farms or even benefited from loaned hardware in its history as a folding team, and no real reason exists to do so at any other occasion including presently. And therefore, any critical eye should be cast solely with a very open and accepting mind. Best of luck in the competition and overall team objectives.

Hi, yes, I believe I remember if you had the same or similar username. It has been a while! There are a few of us from that time still around but not many post much anymore. Looks like the tables are turned on us this time in regards to the team's predicament. I recall the bitter rivalry with ARS for #1, and essentially the same lively discussions on both forums are being repeated now but in reverse. I guess some lingering karma is being heavily dispensed, LOL..

Say what?:confused:

In the EVGA forums we only allow English posts. I'm checking Gaelic and Celtic translations to see what the above means.

Oh, yea. I've been a mod over there about 3 weeks now. Been folding 3 years for them.
That's all I could translate.

Little help from other members here. What did he say?:confused:

I've been looking over some of the questions as to the why's and what's that caused such a dramatic ramp up, and it's really simple. When the heat started nailing our current summer time folders, production dropped down, and you folks here at [H] began to pull away, and pretty powerfully.

One of our summertime folding increase strategies is the Time Zone Challenge, a simple, but as you can plainly see, VERY effective way to get some of that summer time drop off counteracted.

Many people do indeed only fold to the 250 k points, which would also account for a fraction of the increase starting at the 1st, but most simply put: A slumbering beast woke up for the contest.

Essentially, a LOT of folks who put folding hardware to sleep for the summertime heatwave pulled it out of storage, dusted it off and fired it all back up, and in several cases, folks brought new hardware online for the competition.

It really IS as simple as all that.

So, keep up the production, because in the end it's all for the greatest good of all.

And we'll see you guys at the crossroads soon.

d

Say what?:confused:

In the EVGA forums we only allow English posts. I'm checking Gaelic and Celtic translations to see what the above means.

Oh, yea. I've been a mod over there about 3 weeks now. Been folding 3 years for them.
That's all I could translate.

Little help from other members here. What did he say?:confused:

dont worry about it.. the majority of us dont have a problem with it.. have fun with your contest and lets try to keep the bickering back and forth to a minimum please.. this shits starting to get old..

dont worry about it.. the majority of us dont have a problem with it.. have fun with your contest and lets try to keep the bickering back and forth to a minimum please.. this shits starting to get old..

Sorry if it sounded like I was starting something there. I was actually trying to be humerous. I know how hard you guys have worked through the years to not only get to where you are but to stay there as well. Apollo is certainly one of the folks we should all look up to for what he has done for the folding community. It is normal to react when your position is challenged. I understand that.

But one thing that I do want to correct. If you pull up the membership stats we have had an increase in membership in the last few months. Somewhere around 350 more folders have joined our team. So those who say it is a point spike with no increase in active members are in error.

Last edited:
I just requested 8 Xeon hexcore servers at work this past week.. (for legitimate reasons, I swear (that means actually work related lol))

But.. I will need to stress test them... :) And they will have a lot of down time...

/me scratches non existent beard.... time to do evga in the proverbial butt.

Just have to get the proxy issues figured out..

drougnor said:
When the heat started nailing our current summer time folders, production dropped down
this makes no sense. You've never been at 10 mil ppd before. Your post implied youre just returning to a former state of production. That's false.

I'm inclined to believe you, simply because I doubt anybody is putting up the bucks to use a commercial server farm just to fold, but the reason evga raises eyebrows is their propensity to suddenly and dramatically spike at odd times.

At the end of the day, its about the science, so I'm not complaining. I'm just tired of the apparent defensiveness of evga team members when others question their suspicious ppd spikes.

Well, it's judgmental words like "suspicious" that tend to make people defensive. "Unusual" might not get such a reaction.

Maybe a case study would help. I personally have 2 dual hex-core systems and one single hex-core system. During the hottest months, I only run the most efficient dual hex-core system. For the time zone challenge, I fired them all up. Voila - 170% increase in ppd for me.

Multiply that by the ppd of the most active folders, that tend to participate in these things, plus a whole bunch of new folders that jumped in for the TZC, and that explains most of the increase. Add in bwm, who's new to our team, plus the servers that solonw has for a short time, gives another million.

Oh, as to why I joined - I was getting back into folding after a break due to being laid off, and looking for a new team as my old one was dying. I stumbled onto evga when looking for an overclocked dual Xeon board, found their folding forum, liked the folks there, and stayed. I also wanted a team where it would be a challenge to stay in the top 10 producers, as a challenge to myself, and evga certainly fits the bill. If [H] was selling overclockable dual Xeon boards, I might have ended up here!

this makes no sense. You've never been at 10 mil ppd before. Your post implied youre just returning to a former state of production. That's false.

My post IMPLIES nothing of the sort. My post SAYS that folks who were idling due to heat issues came back to folding. The increase can be explained by the amount of Fermi hardware that wasn't in use, again due to the heat. During the CC, Fermi hardware didn't have the advantage that it does today.

Because there are a large number of folders on our team that have Fermi cards that weren't being used to full potential previously, it stands to reason that we'd have higher PPD totals when everything is brought to work.

d

Sorry if it sounded like I was starting something there. I was actually trying to be humerous. I know how hard you guys have worked through the years to not only get to where you are but to stay there as well. Apollo is certainly one of the folks we should all look up to for what he has done for the folding community. It is normal to react when your position is challenged. I understand that.

But one thing that I do want to correct. If you pull up the membership stats we have had an increase in membership in the last few months. Somewhere around 350 more folders have joined our team. So those who say it is a point spike with no increase in active members are in error.

its all good.. its all in fun and games just tends to get out of hand in a few of these threads.. all i care is that the science is getting done..

i think its time we just make a thread just for [H] and evga to bitch at each other instead of people just hijacking threads and going off topic which has been happening lately..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back