Way dumb but a 56k Question....

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Well, I was running a HL2 deathmatch for me and my friends to play, theres about 6 of us and I can host a decent game everyone pings 20-30ish well, my one buddy has 56k and get 996 ping is there anyway we can fix this....... *He thinks getting sateillite will give him better ping ohhhhh boy........ well I told him to try putting rate 9999 and changing the connection rate on AOL............... :rolleyes:

That's a *horrible* ping for 56K. Back when I played online games with dialup I had latencies more on the order of 150-200ms. Have him do a traceroute to your IP, and ask him if he gets pings like that anywhere else.

He does, Maybe its the phone wire inside.........

:rolleyes:

He doesnt understand Satellite will be the same or worse.... He wont get DSL :(

996 is definitely bad for dial-up. do some traceroutes and also do a broadband speed check at "chi.speakeasy.net". is everything else disabled as well, specifically instant message, anti-virus, 3rd party apps? have you recently run a spyware checker, such as "ad aware", to make sure resources and bandwidth are not being robbed?

off topic: satellite (i'm thinking of "direcway") would be better than dialup, but a more expensive and slower solution than cable or dsl.

PTNL said:
satellite (i'm thinking of "direcway") would be better than dialup, but a more expensive and slower solution than cable or dsl.

Actually, while the bandwidth is higher than dialup, the latency is usually far worse. It's unusable for gaming really.

56k'ing.... hehehe

Ok, turn off any app that uses the internet. This includes but not limited to :
IM, p2p, automatic updates, anti-virus updates, web browsers, email proggies.

Set his rate to something REASONABLE for a dialup. Try rate 2500

AOL, erm, thats a tcp stack on top of aol proprietary networking.... He's kinda screwed. He should go for a mum-and-pop ISP or something that just uses windows (no extra connection garbage)

56k'er tweaks:
Disable v.90/v.92 on the modem. Force a v.34 connection. This allows for the best pings because the modem hardware isnt compressing the gaming data.

Sattelite? Oh jeez, well, I guess that would be better than 900+ ping, but not by much:

Speed of light = 186,000 miles per second. sattelites in geosync orbit are roughly 24000 miles in orbit. Lets do some math: 24000mi / 186,000mi/sec = 129ms one way trip. Double that for round trip and you have the base time a signal can originate and then bounce back to earth.... 260ms. Now you add in latency for the ISP and path to your game server. Provided the game server is on the same box as the router, you have a minimum 260ms delay or theoretical minimum. dialup is 110 theoretical minimum.

but if yer downloading tons of stuff, latency doesnt matter and sattelite beats the pants off of dialup.

bandwidth does not have a bearing on ping..... keep that in mind :D

Well gosh though I think sateillite would have High latency and not be good for gaming.....

Expensive too. I'll try and talk him into dsl for 29 vs 45.... :rolleyes:

2.0/256 DSL 29.99 vs 700/60 Dircway (dont know exact speed) for 45 ewwww

Yeah I asked if he had any extra proggies running and or ad-ware he doesnt know :mad:

Dial-up takes for ever and i dont want to make ad-aware cd's and a free Ant-Virus CD

But I might if I have too and give it to him.......

Back