Wawa announces massive data breach, 'potentially all' locations affected, CEO says

erek

[H]F Junkie
Ouch.

"Based on our investigation to date, we understand that at different points in time after March 4, 2019, malware began running on in-store payment processing systems at potentially all Wawa locations. Although the dates may vary and some Wawa locations may not have been affected at all, this malware was present on most store systems by approximately April 22, 2019. Our information security team identified this malware on December 10, 2019, and by December 12, 2019, they had blocked and contained this malware. We also immediately initiated an investigation, notified law enforcement and payment card companies, and engaged a leading external forensics firm to support our response efforts. Because of the immediate steps we took after discovering this malware, we believe that as of December 12, 2019, this malware no longer poses a risk to customers using payment cards at Wawa."

https://6abc.com/wawa-announces-data-breach-potentially-all-locations-affected-ceo-/5769537/

"Hackers got my credit card info! Waaaaa waaaaaa!"
- said all of Wawa's customers

Yep, name checks out.

Ouch.

"we understand that at different points in time after March 4, 2019, malware began running on in-store payment processing systems at potentially all Wawa locations.
Our information security team identified this malware on December 10, 2019."

7 Months later - Great job there.

10 Days from discovery to announcement. Pretty good on their part for that much.

Investigated itself and determined nothing happened during the past 7 months due to the immediate steps they took after finding the malware?

7 months to discover breach. 2 days to fix. Wawa's recovery team seems first rate. They need to overhaul the detection side.

Timing sucks for those that wind up having their cards canceled and reissued a few days before Xmas travel season.

is it wrong that i am so fuggin fat that i am 10 minutes away from taking lunch and eating at wawa where i will be swiping a card tied to my primary checking? MEATBALL HOAGIE IM COMNG TO GETCHA

Something called "Wawa" is not just another obscure chinese messaging app. Learn something new everyday.
Lol yup as a non Yankee, I wouldn't have known that without the [H] shitposting above lol.

Back