WAV and MP3 music file software to slow down music or change pitch

raglafart

Limp Gawd
I'm not looking forward to another mess with the introduction of Win 11, my pc works well and is far from redundant but I need music manipulation software to slow pieces down without changing pitch and also have a separate pitch control. I am currently using Amazing Slow Downer on my Windows PC that is a fantastic tool to learn new pieces. What Linux distro and what software is there?
Cheers John

Just make sure to use the fork that has the new spyware removed.
oh shit, I definitely did not know about that and am using the latest main version. Thanks for the heads-up, going to look into this...

I haven't needed to use it lately, but Audacity used to have the same features as a good chunk of the paid solutions out there.

oh shit, I definitely did not know about that and am using the latest main version. Thanks for the heads-up, going to look into this...
Tenacity is the fork.

The whole "spyware" thing has been a tad overblown (Muse groups PR staff needs to be fired as well because the whole thing has been a disaster). My major issue with the Audacity thing is they're changing the licensing which is a slap in the face of anybody who contributed code.

Audacity isn't the answer, yes you can change the speed, but changing the speed also changes the pitch, that makes it absolutely useless!
With Amazing slow downer, you can select a replay speed from 20% speed all the way up to 200% speed without it changing the pitch.
You can also correct older recorded tracks that are maybe slightly off key. You can change the pitch in single cents if needed or in semi tones if you are just trying to alter the key of a piece

Audacity isn't the answer, yes you can change the speed, but changing the speed also changes the pitch, that makes it absolutely useless!
With Amazing slow downer, you can select a replay speed from 20% speed all the way up to 200% speed without it changing the pitch.
You can also correct older recorded tracks that are maybe slightly off key. You can change the pitch in single cents if needed or in semi tones if you are just trying to alter the key of a piece
Audacity can change the speed without changing the pitch. Use the "Change Tempo" filter instead of "Change Speed"

Audacity can change the speed without changing the pitch. Use the "Change Tempo" filter instead of "Change Speed"
This is correct. However there are some apps that enable really large tempo changes without garbling up the sound. Audacity can change it well, but not as well as some specialized apps. At least last time I tried. I don't recall the name of the app but I found one where you could basically slow the speed down so much that the melody switched to indistinguishable long waveforms. A bit like the background music in the movie Inception where the background music was actually a slowed down version of the Edith Piaf song they used for waking up. Because the time slows down in sleep, you know ;)

Back