Watermarked Movie Soundtrack Can Pinpoint Pirates?

As if there weren't holes in this already...most of the releases that get widely distributed, on BitTorrent and on the street, aren't CAM releases. CAM means the audio and video came from the same, usually handheld camera. Telesyncs (tagged as TS) are shot from a camera that's almost always on a tripod, and the audio comes direct from an audio jack in a hard-of-hearing seat. So there's no way they could figure out where the recording came from.

Basically.

But more importantly, where can I get these cam rips that have such great audio quality required to figure out all this stuff, my movies always sound like such garbage.

if you get telesyncs (ts) instead of cams

same shitty cam video but line output audio, which may or may not be that good either, but obviously is 100000x better than listening to idiots in the theater

Unless I read this wrong, they would need to find a movie on net that has been pirated. Then analyze the movie and “bingo” they know where the guy was sitting two days/weeks/months ago when he pirated the movie? Call me a skeptic but I don’t think the pirate will still be in that seat when the cops get there. ;)

unless they're from the pirate bay in which cas they'll still be there partying doing pelvic thrusts!

huh... why do i go to the theatres again?

oh wait i don't. It's a complete waste of money

I can't think of any movies that are worth watching cam rips of... seriously...those things are terrible...

one movie for two is as much as a netflix subscription... Why can't we just get rid of theaters altogether, its already easy to have a home theater and large screen television....and there are things like dvd screeners, dvd burners, and many other things that make staying at home far more attrative than a theater or watching a cam movie, even the hard of hearing rips

i love how this "the method does not significantly spoil the subjective acoustic quality of the soundtrack. These results indicate that the proposed system is applicable for practical uses."

if i have to pay $2 more for crappier sound, the pirates have won.

What gets me is that this isnt' even about tickt sales...it;s about the DVD sales. The IR strobe was a good idea, unless you get a guy with an IR filter. Then it wouldn't affect it (i'm doing research in that area right now). I think the best idea is to work with the camcorder producers to come with it a good way ot prevent this. Maybe use the IR port for the remote control so that it sends a signal to "pretend" to record, but not do it. Ofcourse, they have to keep that on the down low until the pirates figure it out and try to block it.

Who watches cam movies anyway? Stupid question I guess since it seems 95 % of people would rather watch a crappy pixelated low resolution clip on you tube than wait 5min and watch it in HD.

I just don't get this at all. I mean why go though all the trouble of analyzing the sound to determine where the camera was. Rube Goldberg come up with this crap? Seriously, if you have the video, then you can instantly tell where the person was sitting because of the recording angle right? Second why the hell use sound to pinpoint where the person was sitting, shouldn't they be focusing on what theatre it was?

"Dude we ran the analysis, our perp was definately row 3 seat 7"

"No shit man, I knew that from the crappy angle. Do you at least know what theater it was in?

"uhhhh...."

"The city? The state? The date/time it aired? anything we can go on?"

"uhhhh...."

Presumably they would assign each theater a unique audio watermark frequency or sound..

More than $20 for a BluRay movie is simply not a reasonable price for an average person to pay.

I still don't see this as unreasonable...

People are still going to the theaters... It might cost $10 for your ticket even before soda or food...

See it twice, you've paid $20... See it with someone else, together you've paid $20 in just one viewing...

If you're buying it, you're probably going to watch it multiple times? Maybe not even by yourself?

If you're only intending to watch it by yourself once, why not rent? Or Ebay it immediately afterwards and get some money back on the investment?

As long as people are still going to theaters and are willing to pay that amount, then $20+ actually seems low to me...

This is a better idea than the dots that reduce picture quality and take me out of the movie.

Still seems pointless though.

This needs to be more widely reported. I mean how many of you want to go to your local theater, knowing that you may be randomly targeted for piracy because you wanted to pay to "see a movie"?

I was actually thinking about going to see a show this afternoon... Now I think I'll wait for it to come out on DVD. But then I'll be sure to just "Rent" it, because the movie probably it's worth watching more than once.

I still don't see this as unreasonable...

People are still going to the theaters... It might cost $10 for your ticket even before soda or food...

See it twice, you've paid $20... See it with someone else, together you've paid $20 in just one viewing...

I went to go see The Dark Knight in IMax. Can't remember the last time I went to the theatre before that, though. Just too expensive, like blu-ray discs or really most DVD's. Why bother with that crap when my netflix box (or x-box if you want to call it that) and my TIVO will give me movies all the time. And they don't hassle me for taking my money. They give me what I want, when I want, and only if I want it.

I wouldnt be surprised if they tried to sue empty chair :D:D:D

No, they'll just sue the theater.
My question is, the water mark will pinpoint where the person is in the theater. Is every film now going to ship with it's own unigie watermark and that that film can only be played in one room of the theater. Otherwise it is completely pointless.

Yes, the film can only be played in one room of one theater, one time only. Otherwise it's not indicating a particular seat, only a proximity to any set of speakers that has ever played the audio track, and then only if it is a carefully controlled environment. It is completely pointless.

Yes, the film can only be played in one room of one theater, one time only. Otherwise it's not indicating a particular seat, only a proximity to any set of speakers that has ever played the audio track, and then only if it is a carefully controlled environment. It is completely pointless.

You have a good point there. Most theaters runs their film in serial in that they chain the projectors so that they can show the same movie at a delayed but same time in another room (popular releases for example). This would now open up the possibility of having 1-4 rooms of the same reel being played, and then we're also talking about repeats throughout the day... so now we're talking about a pin in the haystack in terms of finding an offender.

You want my cheap fix recommendation? Put IR flood lights at the front of the screen, people won't see them but cameras will be blinded by them.

You want my cheap fix recommendation? Put IR flood lights at the front of the screen, people won't see them but cameras will be blinded by them.

And as I've already mentioned, an IR cut filter can be used to block out the IR light so the camera wouldn't be affected.

The MPAA is like a psycho ex-girlfriend who claims to love you, then dumps you, then stalks you afterward.

*giggles*

Anyway, like many others have said, this will solve nothing. With all of the money they waste on useless tactics like this, you'd think they could make going to the movies cheaper. $10 for non-matinee? Kiss my ass. :rolleyes:

Seems pretty pointless to me. Why wouldn't they just put a night vision camera at the front of the theater to watch the crowd? Not that I'm advocating this, because I hate the big brother society that we've become, but it seems like it would be something that's right up the MPAA's alley.

"Were you or were you not in row 14, seat 8 on the day of March 6th, 2009 for the noon showing of Paul Blart: Mall Cop?"

"How am I supposed to remember what seat I was in? All I know is the movie was garbage, I mean why would I even bother pirat.."

"Answer the question Mr. Smith!"

"Uhh..maybe?"

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case."

Back