Watercooling Sapphire Toxic HD6950 Questions

Hello all,

This may have been addressed before, but I'd like to confirm before purchasing any components. Here are my questions:

1. Is the Sapphire Toxic HD6950 2GB a reference layout (thereby supporting aftermarket coolers designed for this reference layout)?

2. I have a switech MCW-60 (not MCW-60R, if that matters) that I plan to reuse from my 8800GT. This is compatible, correct?

3. I'll need to cool the memory, PWMs, etc with separate heatsinks. I have some ramsinks (Enzotech type IIRC) that can be reused as well. These should be sufficient, correct?

4. Would I be better off using individual sinks or purchasing a Swiftech uni-sink (assuming I have a reference layout)? My worry with those large uni-sinks is there is always variation in component height due to fabrication tolerances, so perhaps some chips might not make proper contact. That said, there is more copper/aluminum to spread the heat, so cooling performance might be better.

Thanks!

Swiftech makes brackets to fit most cards if it does not fit the one you have. I think they are 6.99. I'm going to order one for my 560ti upgraded from 8800gts. they also make a ramsink and pwm sink package, check those out to see if they will work on your 6950.

Yes, the block will fit:

http://www.overclock.net/t/893699/6950-waterblock-mcw60-confirmed

but since you have a non reference board you will not be able to use a one piece RAM/VRM heatsink.

I would still recommend a nice quiet 120mm fan blowing towards it from somewhere in your case. I have cut out holes in the bottom of my case and have two 120mms blowing up for this same set up.

Let me know if you hit 1GHz on the GPU!

Back